Skip to content
Saturday 22 August 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
Environment
Environment

Lagos collapsed building: Governor Sanwo-Olu orders demolition of distressed houses

The FrontierThe FrontierJune 26, 2026 822 Minutes read0

•Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu of Lagos State

The Lagos State government has announced plans to demolish all buildings marked as structurally distressed around the site of the collapsed three-storey building at Alakija, Satellite Town, as part of measures to prevent a recurrence of the tragedy.

The government also vowed to prosecute the owners of the collapsed building and any other persons found to have violated building regulations or obstructed enforcement efforts, reports The Guardian.

Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Mr. Gbenga Omotoso, disclosed this today during an inspection of the collapse site on behalf of Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu.

He said the governor was deeply saddened by the incident and extended his condolences to the families of the victims.

According to Omotoso, 27 persons were rescued alive from the rubble, while nine others lost their lives during the overnight search and rescue operation.

Emergency responders, including the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA), Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, Lagos State Building Control Agency (LASBCA), the Police, the Command and Control Centre and the Neighbourhood Safety Corps, remained at the scene to complete rescue and recovery efforts.

“Governor Sanwo-Olu is saddened by this incident. He sends his condolences to the families of those who lost their loved ones,” Omotoso said.

He disclosed that the collapsed building had previously been identified as structurally distressed and marked for demolition, while occupants were directed to vacate the premises.

“This tragedy should not have happened. The building had been marked as distressed and occupants were asked to move out, but the directive was ignored. Livelihoods were unfortunately prioritised over lives,” he said.

Omotoso announced that all other buildings already marked as unsafe within the vicinity would be demolished without delay to safeguard lives and property.

He further stated that the owners of the collapsed structure, as well as owners of other distressed buildings found culpable, would face prosecution in accordance with the laws of Lagos State.

“Anyone found to have violated building regulations or frustrated enforcement efforts will be prosecuted. Owners of the collapsed and other distressed buildings will be held accountable under the law,” he said.

The commissioner also condemned the construction of buildings beneath high-tension electricity lines, describing the practice as dangerous and unacceptable.

“You cannot build under high-tension power lines. It is dangerous and unacceptable in any civilised society. It shows a disregard for the law, and the government will not tolerate it,” he added.

Omotoso said investigations into the cause of the building collapse were ongoing, while survivors were receiving treatment at various hospitals.

He advised residents occupying buildings around the collapse site to relocate immediately in compliance with safety directives.

The commissioner also commended emergency responders for their professionalism and dedication throughout the rescue operation.

Similarly, the Permanent Secretary of LASEMA, Dr. Olufemi Oke-Osanyintolu, praised all first responders and security agencies for working tirelessly throughout the operation, which continued until the building was reduced to ground level.

Also present during the inspection was the Commissioner for Special Duties and Intergovernmental Relations, Mr. Gbenga Oyerinde, who lauded the rescue teams for their swift and coordinated response.

Tags
Demolitiondistressed housesGovernor Sanwo-OluLagos collapsed building
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post Telecom operators in Nigeria lose 30 million subscribers in 3-year slump
next post State Police legislation politically driven, says ADC
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
Environment

Flooded Abuja mansions raise questions over green areas

August 18, 20260
Environment

Residents stranded, vehicles submerged as floods hit Abuja

August 17, 20260
Environment

Roads turned dumpsites: Why Lagos is still losing the battle against roadside waste

August 17, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Africa

Ebola outbreak: Over 16,000 doses of Ervebo vaccine arrive DR Congo

August 22, 20260
International

US, Canada unable to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs

August 22, 20260
Politics

BREAKING: APC unveils team: Senator Yari, Governor Uzodimma lead Tinubu’s 2027 campaign council

August 22, 20260
News

Traffic jam: Nigeria’s economy suffers as hundreds of loaded trailers stranded in Ekiti

August 22, 20260
Headlines

TRAGEDY: Five dead as car rams into moving trailer in Lagos •PHOTOS

August 22, 20260
Health

The meat we eat and the years we lose: How Nigeria’s abattoirs quietly erode our life expectancy, By Dr. Gani Enahoro

August 22, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Ebola outbreak: Over 16,000 doses of Ervebo vaccine arrive DR Congo

August 22, 2026

US, Canada unable to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs

August 22, 2026

BREAKING: APC unveils team: Senator Yari, Governor Uzodimma lead Tinubu’s 2027 campaign council

August 22, 2026

Traffic jam: Nigeria’s economy suffers as hundreds of loaded trailers stranded in Ekiti

August 22, 2026

TRAGEDY: Five dead as car rams into moving trailer in Lagos •PHOTOS

August 22, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

Ebola outbreak: Over 16,000 doses of Ervebo vaccine arrive DR Congo

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Insecurity: Army chief reveals factors hampering military performance

September 25, 2024
3

Foremost scholar, Prof Kila endorses FG’s Consumer Credit Corporation, warns against misuse

September 13, 2024
4

Ribadu’s undiplomatic ‘Go to hell’ rant, By Erasmus Ikhide

February 17, 2025
5

Unpaid contractors: Minister laments underfunding, seeks colleague’s support

July 16, 2024
6

Varsity graduates kick over hike in alumni membership fee

September 6, 2024
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

I forgive protesters who abused me — Indian Prime Minister Modi

August 1, 2026
3

The Daily Monitor newspaper berths… to shape the future

February 6, 2025
4

APC plotting one-party rule out of fear of 2027 defeat, says PDP National Executive Committee

May 27, 2025
5

Osun LG workers resume after 11-month strike amid heavy security presence

January 5, 2026
6

Europa: Olympiakos beat West Ham’s as Sparta Prague hold Rangers

October 27, 2023

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

House of Reps condemns lawmaker’s assault of Bolt driver, says probe ongoing

October 29, 2024

From Diaz to Akor Adams – 5 young players impressing at 2025 Africa Cup of Nations

January 10, 2026

Instagram moves to face rising tide of sextortion scams

October 17, 2024

Nigeria will breed Emperor as President if PDP collapses – Former Governor Sule Lamido

May 27, 2025
Top posts

Categories

  • News4928
  • Politics4590
  • Crime4410
  • International3043
  • Sports2459
  • Business & Economy2272
  • Headlines2222
  • Education1369
  • Matilda Showbiz983
  • Health878
  • Entertainment812
  • Africa578
  • Religion483
  • Environment364
  • Special277
  • Info Tech245
  • Arts & Culture240
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today204
  • Interview186
  • Opinion153
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade130
  • World Cup 202695
  • Advert34
  • Trends23
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Local News5

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact