Skip to content
Tuesday 18 August 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
Crime
Crime

Military denies wanted bandit leader Bello Turji’s surrender, says manhunt ongoing

The FrontierThe FrontierAugust 14, 2025 1362 Minutes read0

•Bandit kingpin Bello Turji

The Defence Headquarters (DHQ) has refuted claims that notorious bandit leader Bello Turji has surrendered, insisting he remains at large and is still being actively pursued by security forces.

Turji, a feared kingpin operating mainly in Zamfara and Sokoto states, is accused of masterminding numerous attacks on communities in the North-West, reports The Nation.

Recent media reports (not The Frontier) suggested that he had surrendered some weapons and released 32 kidnap victims under a peace deal allegedly brokered by Islamic clerics in Zamfara State.

However, speaking at a press briefing today, the Director of Defence Media Operations, Major General Markus Kangye, dismissed the reports as lacking credibility and thorough verification.

He said, “Well, you asked if it is true that bandit leader Bello Triji has surrendered, and that an Islamic cleric took ownership of the negotiation that led to his surrender. If I get you right. Simple answer, Bello Turji has not surrendered, we are hot on his trail.”

Kangye also dismissed recent allegations by Amnesty International that troops conducting operations in Southeast engaged in extrajudicial killings, describing them as unfounded.

He said “What do you mean by extrajudicial killing? Is it that soldiers carry their weapons, go to the street and start shooting people? You know what Amnesty International is doing. You know what they use to publish.

“Like I always tell you, everybody with a phone in his hand is a potential source of information to the whole world.

“But I can tell you that the military is not engaged in any extrajudicial killing in the southeast.”

On the recent protests by some retired military personnel, Kangye explained that only a few individuals were involved in the demonstrations, but the matter was addressed last week by the Military Pensions Board alongside the Chief of Accounts and Budget at the Defence Headquarters and the Minister of Finance, during a meeting with the aggrieved veterans.

He said, “This issue was addressed by the military pensions board last week. I remember when the chief of account and budget in the defence headquarters went for the meeting with him and those aggrieved retired personnel.

“You see, one issue to understand is that when two or three jumped up and used the mouths of others to propagate or send out messages, it can be said that the retired personnel of the armed forces did this.

“So the few that came out, the chairman of the military pensions board and the chief of account and budget of the defence headquarters and also the minister of finance, these were members that went to talk and speak with them and I think they were sure that that issue had been addressed.”

The Director of Defence Information, Brigadier General Tukur Gusau, said the Chief of Defence Staff met on Tuesday with a five-man standing committee set up by the Ministry of Defence to address veterans’ welfare concerns.

The committee, he said, is working on modalities to improve support for military veterans.

Gusau said, “I want to inform you that just yesterday the CDS had a meeting with a five-man standing committee which was constituted by the ministry of defence to address this issue. It has been headed by a retired Air Commodore.

“They were here yesterday afternoon. They had a meeting with CDS and modernities have been worked out on how to address the welfare needs of our veterans.”

Tags
manhuntMilitaryongoingsurrenderwanted bandit leader Bello Turji
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post India to bid for Commonwealth Games as part of Olympics push
next post Labour Party hails INEC for excluding Abure-backed candidates from Anambra bye-elections
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
Crime

Two suspected ‘One Chance’ robbers in Police net

August 18, 20260
Crime

JUST IN: Over 20 people feared killed in attack on Plateau community

August 18, 20260
Crime

Man allegedly kills 60-year-old mother with cutlass

August 17, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Politics

Don’t pressure Pastor Adeboye to speak against Tinubu – RCCG Continental overseer

August 18, 20260
Entertainment

Angelique Kidjo to become first African musician to get Hollywood star

August 18, 20260
Entertainment

Children cry out for help as popular Nollywood actor battles stage 4 cancer

August 18, 20260
Crime

Two suspected ‘One Chance’ robbers in Police net

August 18, 20260
Business & Economy

Nigerians react as bureaucracy cripples FG’s free business registration drive

August 18, 20260
Africa

ECOWAS dangles $65,000 cash prize for top 60 startups

August 18, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Don’t pressure Pastor Adeboye to speak against Tinubu – RCCG Continental overseer

August 18, 2026

Angelique Kidjo to become first African musician to get Hollywood star

August 18, 2026

Children cry out for help as popular Nollywood actor battles stage 4 cancer

August 18, 2026

Two suspected ‘One Chance’ robbers in Police net

August 18, 2026

Nigerians react as bureaucracy cripples FG’s free business registration drive

August 18, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

Don’t pressure Pastor Adeboye to speak against Tinubu – RCCG Continental overseer

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Inter Milan win Serie A title in Derby thriller with AC Milan

April 23, 2024
3

BREAKING: Nigerian workers issue 14-day notice of nationwide strike, warn FG

February 8, 2024
4

Governor Otti’s commissioner narrowly escapes assassination

June 9, 2025
5

Atiku to pick up ADC membership card today

November 24, 2025
6

COP28: FG didn’t sponsor 1,411 delegates to Dubai – Presidency

December 4, 2023
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Arms deal: Court gives FG deadline to conclude trial of former National Security Adviser Dasuki

August 12, 2025
3

N80.2 billion fraud: Former Governor Yahaya Bello pleads not guilty to 19-count charge

December 13, 2024
4

Manchester United beaten by former boss Amorim’s AC Milan in friendly finale

August 16, 2026
5

BREAKING: Tinubu writes Senate, seeks confirmation of new service chiefs

October 28, 2025
6

Bandits kill Sokoto residents, abduct nursing mothers, babies

November 20, 2025

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

I wan begin do dry fasting

July 6, 2024

Why fuel smuggling thrives despite subsidy removal – Customs

April 23, 2025

Gov DeSantis suspends campaign, backs Trump to be Republican nominee

January 22, 2024

Hajj: Lagos extends date for payment of fare

February 7, 2025
Top posts

Categories

  • News4910
  • Politics4555
  • Crime4402
  • International3029
  • Sports2444
  • Business & Economy2265
  • Headlines2215
  • Education1361
  • Matilda Showbiz983
  • Health872
  • Entertainment807
  • Africa570
  • Religion483
  • Environment364
  • Special277
  • Info Tech244
  • Arts & Culture238
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today202
  • Interview185
  • Opinion153
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade130
  • World Cup 202695
  • Advert34
  • Trends23
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Local News5

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact