Skip to content
Friday 21 August 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
Headlines
Headlines

Minimum wage: Strike begins in 5 states, FCT today as panel meets

The FrontierThe FrontierDecember 2, 2024 3825 Minutes read0

•Nigerian workers

Barring any last-minute change of plan, the workers in the Federal Capital Territory, Cross River, Nasarawa, Ebonyi, Kaduna and Zamfara states may down tools today following the failure of the state authorities to negotiate the payment of the N70,000 new minimum wage.

Though the implementation panels set up by the concerned states have been meeting with labour leaders in a bid to ward off the strike action, the various state chapters of the Nigeria Labour Congress have expressed their readiness to embark on a strike from today, reports The PUNCH.

The FCT Council of the NLC had earlier directed the workers in the six Area Councils to embark on an indefinite strike on December 1 until further directives were issued.

This was contained in a letter signed by the Chairman of the FCT Council of the NLC, Stephen Knabayi, on Saturday.

This followed the directive of the NLC leadership to workers in 14 states and the FCT to embark on industrial action from yesterday over the non-implementation of the new minimum wage.

Knabayi faulted the failure of the area council chairmen to respond to the demand for the implementation of the minimum wage, despite receiving the communique of the National Executive Council of the NLC dated November 14, 2024.

The Nasarawa State chapter of the NLC yesterday declared its readiness to declare a strike if the minimum wage was not paid.

The state NLC Chairman, Ismaila Okoh, disclosed that a notice of strike had been issued to all the labour members.

He, however, revealed that the Nasarawa State government had reached an agreement with the union to pay N70,500 to the workers, adding that no document had been signed regarding the implementation.

He said, “We have notified all our members to embark on strike tomorrow (today) because of the non-implementation of the national minimum wage in the state.

“Although the minimum wage committee set up by the state government has agreed to start paying N70,500, no document has been signed to that effect up till this moment.

“So, we are observing the situation to see if the documents on the minimum wage will be signed before tomorrow morning. However, if nothing is done between now and midnight, our members will have to fully comply with the strike as they were directed.”

To avert a shutdown, the Kaduna State Government said it had commenced the implementation of the new national minimum wage, with the least-paid worker in the state receiving N72,000 as gross salary in November.

Many states agreed to pay above the N70,000 minimum wage, with Kaduna State offering its workers N72,000 as minimum wage.

Despite the positive development, the state chapter of the NLC confirmed its planned strike.

The state’s chairman of the NLC, Ayuba Suleiman, said the workers would embark on a strike as directed by the NLC leadership.

When asked if the NLC was prepared to embark on a strike, Suleiman replied, “Yes, we are set for the strike.”

However, a statement on Sunday by Ibraheem Musa, the Chief Press Secretary to Governor Uba Sani, insisted it was “a misrepresentation for the NLC to claim that the state has defaulted in the payment of the new minimum wage.”

Musa noted that the state government had complied with the letter of the National Minimum Wage Law.

“His Excellency, the Executive Governor of Kaduna State, Senator Uba Sani, has complied with the spirit and letter of the National Minimum Wage Law, by paying the lowest paid civil servant N72,000 last month,” he said.

He added that the NLC had been pushing for consequential adjustments but the state government argued that there was a difference between salary increments and the minimum wage.

Musa explained that the state government received an average of N8bn from the Federal Allocation and generated around N4bn monthly, totalling N12bn revenue.

However, he said with the implementation of the minimum wage, the monthly wage bill had increased from N5.4bn to N6.3bn, including N4bn deduction for loan payments every month.

This, he said, left only N2bn for rural transformation, healthcare, education, and other public services in the state.

“It will be unfair for Kaduna State Government to spend almost all its revenue on consequential adjustments, after paying the mandatory minimum wage.

“There are over 10 million people who are also entitled to the accrued revenue of Kaduna State. There are 84,827 civil servants in the state. So, it is unreasonable for the government to spend over 90 per cent of its revenue on just about one per cent of the population,” he added.

Musa urged the NLC to exercise patience over the consequential adjustments, pending when the state government’s revenue improved.

“Governor Uba Sani is labour-friendly. He has demonstrated this by providing buses for civil servants to commute to work free of charge, as part of the palliatives to cushion the prevailing economic challenges,” he said.

Meanwhile, the Chairman of the NLC in Ebonyi State, Dr Oguguo Egwu, disclosed that the state workers had been directed to join the ongoing industrial action from today.

According to him, the warning strike, which will last one week, was sequel to the failure of Governor Francis Nwifuru to implement the new national minimum wage.

He said, “Talking about the new national minimum wage as it concerns Ebonyi State, our governor on September 11 at the Ojiji festival of Izzi Kingdom announced the new minimum wage of N70,000 and we are all aware of that.

“We were very happy and excited that Ebonyi would be among the first states to implement the wage. But subsequently, there was no communication and no information.

“And we heard that the governor wanted to implement the national minimum wage without any due process of collective bargaining where both the workers and government angle would meet to agree on the consequential adjustment.”

Also, the Zamfara State NLC secretary, Ahmed Abubakar, said workers in the state had yet to receive the new minimum wage, and as such had no alternative but to join the strike.

He said, “We are going to join the strike as directed by the national body of our great union to express our anger over the non-payment of the new minimum wage.”

Abubakar, however, explained that the union would continue to dialogue with the state government on the issue.

The Organised Labour in Cross River is set for an industrial action over the non-implementation of the new minimum wage in the state.

The Cross River State Chairman of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), Gregory Ulayi, disclosed that the union would embark on an indefinite strike if the state government failed to implement the new minimum wage to workers.

However, it was learnt that the state government reached an agreement with the state chapters of the NLC and TUC late on Sunday night to pay the N70,000 wage to its workers.

Calls to the NLC and TUC officials to clarify whether the state workers would still embark on strike were not answered as at the time of filing this report.

Tags
FCTminimum wagestatesstrike
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post FG begins malaria vaccination for children today
next post Tinubu’s tax reform: Reps suspend debate indefinitely as northern governors mount pressure
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
Headlines

JUST IN: UK warns citizens against travel to 11 Nigerian states •FULL LIST

August 20, 20260
Headlines

BREAKING: Governor Adeleke’s convoy attacked by gunmen while leaving monarch’s palace

August 19, 20260
Headlines

No evidence Nigeria has world’s busiest parliament — FACT CHECK

August 19, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Health

37 private hospitals, other health facilities shut down in Kano over regulatory violations

August 20, 20260
Politics

2027: Defend your votes like Davido — Cleric urges Nigerian youths

August 20, 20260
Education

Nigerian students give varsity 7-day ultimatum over Law programme crisis

August 20, 20260
Politics

Presidency knocks former Vice President Atiku over promise to restore fuel subsidy if elected president

August 20, 20260
Politics

HAPPENING NOW: Tinubu in closed door meeting with Governor Adeleke in Aso Villa

August 20, 20260
Politics

2027 elections: Peter Obi dominates South East, South South as Tinubu leads South West, North — Research

August 20, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

37 private hospitals, other health facilities shut down in Kano over regulatory violations

August 20, 2026

2027: Defend your votes like Davido — Cleric urges Nigerian youths

August 20, 2026

Nigerian students give varsity 7-day ultimatum over Law programme crisis

August 20, 2026

Presidency knocks former Vice President Atiku over promise to restore fuel subsidy if elected president

August 20, 2026

HAPPENING NOW: Tinubu in closed door meeting with Governor Adeleke in Aso Villa

August 20, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

37 private hospitals, other health facilities shut down in Kano over regulatory violations

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

BREAKING: Pope arrives Barcelona to bless world’s tallest church

June 9, 2026
3

Crude oil nears $120 per barrel amidst escalating Middle East tensions

April 30, 2026
4

Nigerian Immigration officers assault journalist in Edo

July 31, 2024
5

Chad shuts Sudan border until further notice

February 23, 2026
6

Eguavoen to continue as interim Super Eagles coach, Madugu takes over Falcons

September 27, 2024
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

CHILDREN’S DAY: Former minister Ezekwesili raises alarm over insecurity, education crisis

May 27, 2026
3

Benue leaders beg Trump to expand US strikes to North-East, North-Central

December 26, 2025
4

EXPOSED: INEC uploaded same result sheets multiple times on viewing portal during Osun election — Advocacy group alleges

August 19, 2026
5

Election disputes should be concluded before swearing-in – Yiaga Africa

January 3, 2025
6

Nigerian fans drive SuperSport’s 19.1 billion World Cup digital views

August 18, 2026

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Expect traffic jam as Lagos govt set to construct Green Line Rail before December – Commissioner

April 22, 2025

SHOCKING: How killer gang assassinated first aid official in Abuja

April 4, 2025

Delta killings: Tinubu, Oborevwori meet at Villa over incident

March 19, 2024

Activist Sowore’s ₦1.2 billion suit against IGP, AGF adjourned

January 14, 2026
Top posts

Categories

  • News4919
  • Politics4578
  • Crime4409
  • International3036
  • Sports2455
  • Business & Economy2271
  • Headlines2219
  • Education1368
  • Matilda Showbiz983
  • Health876
  • Entertainment812
  • Africa573
  • Religion483
  • Environment364
  • Special277
  • Info Tech245
  • Arts & Culture240
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today202
  • Interview186
  • Opinion153
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade130
  • World Cup 202695
  • Advert34
  • Trends23
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Local News5

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact