Skip to content
Sunday 23 August 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
Crime
Crime

N90 billion hajj subsidy: NAHCON chairman in EFCC detention, 314,098 Saudi Riyal recovered

The FrontierThe FrontierAugust 15, 2024 3794 Minutes read0

The Executive Chairman of the National Hajj Commission of Nigeria, Jalal Arabi, and the commission’s secretary, Abdullahi Kontagora, are currently in the custody of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission over the alleged mismanagement of the N90bn 2024 Hajj subsidy.

In a document sighted by our correspondent yesterday, the anti-graft agency said, “A total of

SR314,098 was recovered,” from the NAHCON chairman and other ranking officials, reports The PUNCH.

The EFCC said its investigation revealed that from the N90bn Hajj subsidy, Arabi, fraudulently overpaid himself and others the necessary operational cost.

Also according to the document, the approved 2024 Hajj operational cost for the Chairman/CEO,

Commissioners, Secretary and Directors/Chief of Staff in the 2024 budget are stipulated as $4,250, $12,750, $3,825 and $15,300, respectively.

The EFCC, however, alleged that: “The chairman fraudulently overpaid himself, the commissioners, secretary and directors for the 2024 hajj operational cost.

“The chairman was entitled to SR15,929 but he got SR50,000; three commissioners who were meant to get SR 15,929 each received SR 40,000 each. The secretary got SR 30,000 instead of SR14,336. Directors/Chief of Staff received SR 30,000 instead of the SR2,550 they were entitled to. The total of

SR314,098 were recovered from all of them.”

The anti-graft agency had first grilled Arabi for hours on July 29 and released him on bail.

Also, last week Wednesday, some top officials of the Hajj commission were arrested by the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission over alleged mismanagement or diversion of the N90bn subsidy.

Yesterday, a source in the EFCC told our correspondent that the NAHCON Chairman was taken in again on yesterday for questioning and was detained.

“The Secretary and Chairman of the commission are in our custody and are facing serious interrogations on the N90bn subsidy, among other allegations,” the source said on condition of anonymity because they could not speak officially.

A document exclusively sighted by our correspondent revealed that SR 8,614,175.27 cash withdrawal out of the N90bn released by the federal government to the commission is yet to be accounted for by NAHCON.

The document partly read, “The sum of N90bn was released by the Federal Government of Nigeria to the National Hajj Commission to subsidise the 2024 Hajj Operations by the Federal Government of Nigeria.

“The total sum of N1, 764,705,937.62 was deducted by the Central Bank of Nigeria as bank charges.

“The sum of N88, 235,294,063.72 was subsequently converted into United States dollars at the rate of N1,416.13, which amounted to USD 62,307,164.48 and thereafter transferred into NAHCON British SAAB Account in Saudi Arabia.

“The sum of USD 62,307,164.48 was converted to Saudi Riyal at the rate of N3,748, which amounted to the sum of SR 233,527,252.47.

“That the opening balance of the IBAN-E track for 2024 Hajj activities was SR 19,813,810.89 and has an inflow of SR 485,000,000.00 from NAHCON with a closing balance of SR 78,985,266.03.

“That the closing balance is inclusive of the SR20,637,908.23 refunded from the Ministry of Hajj and Umrah Saudi Arabia.

“That the total sum of SR 22, 815,367.74 was withdrawn cash from the British SAAB account by one Abubakar Muhammed Lamin in Saudi Arabia during the 2024 Hajj operation.

“The expected cash payment for services and allowances to staff and stakeholders is SR 14,905,910.47.

“That the total sum of SR 8,614,175.27 cash withdrawal is yet to be accounted for by NAHCON.”

Meanwhile, an investigation into the commission’s activities since 2022 resulted in the recovery of estacodes paid to staff who did not undertake study tours and payments made to Shuraka’a al-Khair Group Ltd for services that were not rendered.

The document stated, “While investigation commenced on the criminal aspect which has led to the recovery of Estacodes paid to staff, who did not travel to Indonesia for study tour, also recoveries were made for services not rendered of the sum of SR 1,026,000.00 and SR 1,780,019.99, being purported 7.5% of consultancy paid to Shuraka’a al-Khair Group Ltd for debt recover of the sum SR20, 637,908.23 from the Ministry of Hajj and Umrah Saudi Arabia.”

The document stated that all supporting documents for payment of the consultancy services, including the Executive Chairman’s approval, were fraudulently backdated to January 23, 2024, to enable the payment of the sum of SAR 780, 019, 59 to Shuraka’a al-Khair Group Ltd on April 14, 2024.

“The first suspect, Jalal Arabi, confessed that the consultant did not render any services.

“A meeting of the Expanded Transitional Exco was held on 25th January 2024 with seven members and 18 staff in attendance but the payment of the consultancy services to Shuraka’a al-Khair Group Ltd was not discussed.

“The commission’s secretary slotted the approval for the payment of the 7.5% consultancy to Shuraka’a al-Khair Group Ltd in the minutes of the Expanded Transitional Exco meeting as item 10 under AOB to enable the perfection of the documentation to steal the funds.

“That the said sum of SR1,026,000.00, equivalent to about N430,920,000 Million, was also recovered from one Eastern Gulf Company Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.”

Tags
detentionEFCCHajj subsidyN90 billionNAHCON chairman
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post Dangote stocks decline amid merger denial, forex crisis
next post APC national chairman, Ganduje’s corruption case documents stolen during hunger protest – Governor
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
Crime

Kidnapped Borno schoolchildren: Families cry out to Tinubu after 100 days in captivity

August 22, 20260
Crime

Another fake govt agency uncovered, Tinubu orders arrest, suspension of three permanent secretaries

August 22, 20260
Crime

JUST IN: Maternity Home sealed, three arrested over alleged ₦13.5 million newborn baby sale

August 20, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Headlines

JUST IN: ‘Fake agency’ boss fights back with appointment letter by FG

August 23, 20260
Health

Why Nigerians should stop cutting vegetables in markets — Nutritionists

August 23, 20260
Sports

La Liga: Mourinho begins Real Madrid reign with last-minute win

August 23, 20260
News

Travellers stranded as traffic jam returns to Abuja-Kaduna highway

August 23, 20260
Politics

Tinubu Campaign Council a rehab centre for corruption suspects, says ADC

August 23, 20260
Business & Economy

Tinubu’s N15.8 trillion reform gains yet to reach Nigerians — Analysts insist

August 23, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

JUST IN: ‘Fake agency’ boss fights back with appointment letter by FG

August 23, 2026

Why Nigerians should stop cutting vegetables in markets — Nutritionists

August 23, 2026

La Liga: Mourinho begins Real Madrid reign with last-minute win

August 23, 2026

Travellers stranded as traffic jam returns to Abuja-Kaduna highway

August 23, 2026

Tinubu Campaign Council a rehab centre for corruption suspects, says ADC

August 23, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

JUST IN: ‘Fake agency’ boss fights back with appointment letter by FG

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Hardship: Daily petrol consumption crashes by 92% under Tinubu — Report

October 21, 2024
3

I called National Security Adviser Ribadu 130 times to warn about Benue killings but he ignored me – Primate Ayodele

June 18, 2025
4

Russian former deputy defence minister jailed 13 years for corruption

July 1, 2025
5

Labour Party not aware of coalition, Abure tenure has expired — Interim National Secretary

July 19, 2025
6

Olympic Games: Nigeria’s Tobi Amusan wins women’s 100m hurdles, makes semifinals

August 7, 2024
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Hundreds in Chad call for French Forces to leave

December 6, 2024
3

FIFA’s Club World Cup finally faces ultimate test

June 10, 2025
4

JUST IN: Former US President Trump narrowly escapes death from gunman attack at campaign rally

July 14, 2024
5

Average Lagosian spends 57% working hours in traffic, 28% income on transport – Don

July 22, 2024
6

Rivers LG election a democratic scam, totally illegal — TAF Africa boss Jake Epelle

September 1, 2025

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Ramadan: Activist Abayomi Mighty preaches love, unity, selflessness

March 1, 2025

Nigerian governor approves ₦680 million for renovation of graveyards

August 29, 2025

Hurdles before second term APC governors

May 13, 2026

INSIDE AKWA IBOM TODAY: Governor Eno shifts attention to world-class Convention Arena, By Anietie Usen

May 8, 2026
Top posts

Categories

  • News4929
  • Politics4593
  • Crime4411
  • International3044
  • Sports2462
  • Business & Economy2274
  • Headlines2224
  • Education1369
  • Matilda Showbiz991
  • Health879
  • Entertainment813
  • Africa578
  • Religion483
  • Environment367
  • Special277
  • Info Tech245
  • Arts & Culture240
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today204
  • Interview186
  • Opinion153
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade130
  • World Cup 202695
  • Advert34
  • Trends23
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Local News5

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact