Skip to content
Thursday 20 August 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
Health
Health

Nurses, midwives give FG 15-day ultimatum, threaten nationwide strike

The FrontierThe FrontierJuly 10, 2025 3334 Minutes read0

•Nigerian nurses protest

The National Association of Nigerian Nurses and Midwives (NANNM) has issued a 15-day ultimatum to the federal government, threatening a nationwide seven-day warning strike if their longstanding demands are not addressed.

The resolution followed an emergency meeting of the association’s National Executive Council (NEC), held virtually today, Thursday, July 10, 2025, from the NANNM National Secretariat in Abuja.

The meeting was convened in response to a recent circular issued by the National Salaries, Incomes and Wages Commission (NSIWC) concerning the review of allowances for health workers, reports The Nation.

In a communique jointly signed by National President Haruna Mamman and General Secretary Dr. T.A. Shettima, the association announced that the ultimatum would take effect from Monday, July 14.

NANNM described the circular as disappointing, inadequate, and discriminatory, arguing that it failed to reflect the vital roles and sacrifices made by nurses and midwives in Nigeria’s healthcare system.

Following the communique issued after the meeting, Mamman said the NEC condemned the circular and expressed deep concern that several of the association’s demands, previously presented to the Federal Ministry of Health and Social Welfare, have yet to be addressed.

He listed unresolved issues, including the gazetting of the nurses’ scheme of service approved by the National Council on Establishments in 2016, implementation of a 2012 National Industrial Court judgment, an upward review of professional allowances, and the employment of more nursing personnel.

Other demands, according to the Communique are the creation of a Department of Nursing in the Federal Ministry of Health, inclusion of nurses in key policy-making roles, fair representation on boards of federal health institutions, centralized posting of graduate nurses for internships, and recognition of consultancy roles for nurses and midwives.

“If the federal government fails to provide concrete and satisfactory responses within that period, nurses and midwives across the country will commence a one-week warning strike immediately after the deadline.

“NANNM called on the government to immediately revisit the controversial circular, engage in constructive dialogue with the association, and implement lasting solutions to the challenges facing the profession,” he said.

While reaffirming their commitment to providing quality healthcare, the NEC emphasized that nurses and midwives cannot continue to deliver such services under conditions of poor welfare, injustice, and neglect.

The association urged the Presidency, the Federal Ministry of Health and Social Welfare, the National Assembly, and the general public to intervene to prevent the looming industrial action, which could further strain Nigeria’s already fragile healthcare system.

To further clarify the association’s position, Mamman emphasised that the ultimatum issued by the association is entirely independent of the Nigerian Medical Association’s (NMA) reaction to the recent circular by the National Salaries, Incomes and Wages Commission (NSIWC) on medical officers’ allowances.

He said: “Nurses make up about 60 to 65 percent of the entire health workforce in Nigerian hospitals. Ideally, there should be a proper department in the Federal Ministry of Health that focuses on nursing. But that doesn’t exist.

“What we have is a Director of Nursing Services, but that director doesn’t even head an official department. That’s what we’re fighting for the proper creation and recognition of a Department of Nursing Services.

“This isn’t a demand that started today. We’ve been on this matter for years. We even took the Federal Government to court in 2020 over it. We stayed in court for two years, and in 2022, we got a favourable judgment from the National Industrial Court.

“We’ve submitted letters, sent reminders, engaged in countless dialogues, and yet, nothing concrete has been done. Promises are made, but they’re not kept especially by the Ministry of Health.

“So when people ask us why we are demanding a Department of Nursing now, the truth is we’ve always demanded it. It’s just that the government keeps ignoring us. And now, we are saying enough is enough.

“The issue of consultancy also comes in. In every professional field, whether health or non-health, we have consultants. Nursing is no exception. We have nurses who have met all the required criteria to be appointed as consultants. Some are still waiting; some are on the verge of being appointed but the system hasn’t allowed it to take root.

“The consultancy cadre in nursing hasn’t been operationalized. That is one of our long-standing demands. The government knows this. These demands were presented to the current Minister of Health when he assumed office, almost two years ago. So, they can’t say they’re unaware. We’ve been very clear from the beginning.

“On the issue of disparity in remuneration, let me be clear, we’re not against the Nigerian Technical Aid Corps programme or the recent deployment of doctors to St. Lucia.

“That’s not the issue. Our problem is the glaring difference in pay. Nigerian doctors going abroad are getting about N₦3m monthly under the scheme, while back home, nurses and midwives are barely recognised or compensated adequately. That kind of disparity is dangerous, it’s one of the reasons we are losing our professionals to other countries.

“So, if nothing is done after the 15-day notice, we will withdraw our services. We will boycott the health sector. That’s the reality. We’ve exercised patience. We’ve used all peaceful and administrative channels available. But when the government continues to renege on agreements and court judgments, what other options do we have?

“We are always open to dialogue but dialogue must come with action. We’re not asking for anything new. We are asking for the implementation of existing agreements, court judgments, and structural recognition that is long overdue.”

Tags
FGmidwivesnationwide strikenursesultimatum
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post Kenya policeman to face murder charge over rally death
next post Lagos Assembly moves to reform tenancy laws as bill passes second reading
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
Health

37 private hospitals, other health facilities shut down in Kano over regulatory violations

August 20, 20260
Health

‘How I escaped meal that killed my fellow Almajirai’

August 19, 20260
Health

New 180-bed General Hospital in Somolu to become Lagos’ Head and Neck Super-Specialty Centre

August 19, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Health

37 private hospitals, other health facilities shut down in Kano over regulatory violations

August 20, 20260
Politics

2027: Defend your votes like Davido — Cleric urges Nigerian youths

August 20, 20260
Education

Nigerian students give varsity 7-day ultimatum over Law programme crisis

August 20, 20260
Politics

Presidency knocks former Vice President Atiku over promise to restore fuel subsidy if elected president

August 20, 20260
Politics

HAPPENING NOW: Tinubu in closed door meeting with Governor Adeleke in Aso Villa

August 20, 20260
Politics

2027 elections: Peter Obi dominates South East, South South as Tinubu leads South West, North — Research

August 20, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

37 private hospitals, other health facilities shut down in Kano over regulatory violations

August 20, 2026

2027: Defend your votes like Davido — Cleric urges Nigerian youths

August 20, 2026

Nigerian students give varsity 7-day ultimatum over Law programme crisis

August 20, 2026

Presidency knocks former Vice President Atiku over promise to restore fuel subsidy if elected president

August 20, 2026

HAPPENING NOW: Tinubu in closed door meeting with Governor Adeleke in Aso Villa

August 20, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

37 private hospitals, other health facilities shut down in Kano over regulatory violations

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

JUST IN: APC presidential campaign team member defects to SDP

March 14, 2025
3

Alcaraz battles into second round of Qatar Open

February 18, 2026
4

Peter Obi’s men lobbying SDP, 7 presidential aspirants jostling for our ticket – National Secretary Agunloye

March 21, 2025
5

JUST IN: Court throws out police request to stop ‘Free Nnamdi Kanu Now’ protest

October 17, 2025
6

EFCC seals Malami’s houses; ICPC arraigns El-Rufai today

March 24, 2026
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Niger Delta youths protest appointment of expatriate as procurement manager in Chevron

September 17, 2025
3

BBNaija Season 9: We’ll make strong couple – Toby Forge expresses feelings for married Kassia

July 30, 2024
4

FG announces date to commence 3-month rehabilitation of Third Mainland Bridge

October 29, 2023
5

Customs officer shot dead by gunmen at checkpoint

September 16, 2025
6

Women’s Africa Cup of Nations final: Nigeria vs Morocco – Date, time, where to watch

July 25, 2025

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Olmo fires Liga leaders Barca past Mallorca

April 23, 2025

APC leaders in Oyo reject congress, seek a review

April 9, 2026

Nigeria police will torture, kill me if I surrender – Briton declared wanted

September 5, 2024

Poly expels 27, bans ex-student union leaders from entering campuses over inhuman acts

July 23, 2024
Top posts

Categories

  • News4919
  • Politics4578
  • Crime4409
  • International3036
  • Sports2455
  • Business & Economy2271
  • Headlines2219
  • Education1368
  • Matilda Showbiz983
  • Health876
  • Entertainment812
  • Africa573
  • Religion483
  • Environment364
  • Special277
  • Info Tech245
  • Arts & Culture240
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today202
  • Interview186
  • Opinion153
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade130
  • World Cup 202695
  • Advert34
  • Trends23
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Local News5

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact