Skip to content
Friday 21 August 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
Headlines
Headlines

Parents of kidnapped Niger State students cry out, plead for rescue of their children

The FrontierThe FrontierNovember 25, 2025 2153 Minutes read0

•Empty bunk beds inside a student dormitory at St. Mary’s Catholic School in Papiri, Niger State 

Parents of dozens of children kidnapped last week from a Catholic school in Nigeria are desperate for their release, with one father crying out that his son is so young he has not yet learned to speak.

Armed gangs seized more than 300 children from a Catholic school in Nigeria’s central-western Niger state, in a resurgence of the mass kidnappings that have long harrowed Africa’s most populous country, reports AFP.

The same week, 25 schoolgirls were taken from another school, and 38 worshippers were seized from a church in the east of the country.

At least 50 taken from the Catholic school, St Mary’s, managed to escape, but more than 265 children and teachers are still being held.

“My son is a small boy. He doesn’t even know how to talk,” Michael Ibrahim said as parents of those still in captivity anxiously awaited their children’s safe release.

His son, who is four, suffers from asthma, he said.

“We don’t know the condition in which the boy is,” said Ibrahim, adding that the abduction had so sickened his wife that she had to be taken to the hospital.

Some of the children abducted are nursery-school age.

“I need my child back. I need my child back. If I had the power to bring my child back, I would do it,” another father, Sunday Isaiku, our correspondent.

Nigeria has a history of mass kidnappings, mostly carried out by criminal gangs looking for ransom payments and targeting vulnerable populations in poorly policed rural areas.

Many of the captives get freed or rescued within weeks or months, while some escape on their own.

 

42 incidents targeting students

Nigeria’s first high-profile mas kidnapping was that of the Chibok schoolgirls in 2014, when Boko Haram forced 276 girls from their dormitories in the country’s northeast.

More than a decade later, about 90 of those girls are still missing.

Nigeria suffers from a persistent security crisis fuelled by jihadist attacks and violence by “bandit” gangs that raid villages, kill people, and kidnap for ransom.

US President Donald Trump earlier this month threatened military action over what he described as the killing of Nigeria’s Christians — a claim the Nigerian government rejects.

The country of 230 million people is the scene of long-brewing conflicts that have killed both Christians and Muslims, often indiscriminately.

Four days after the St Mary’s children were taken, no group has claimed the abduction or contacted the school demanding ransom.

“At this moment, what we want is to get our 265 students and pupils back, and I’m calling on the federal government and the state government to join forces,” Reverend Bulus Yohanna of Kontagora Catholic diocese told our correspondent.

“Please help us… to see them back” and “reunite with their parents”.

For Ibrahim, the government is his only hope to see his son back.

“We don’t know any other way to bring these children if not through the government. I appeal to the government to do all within its powers to see their children are back,” he said, speaking in the local Hausa language.

Health worker Cidi Mohamed, 27, recalled hearing gunshots at the school on the night of the raid and then seeing the kidnappers leave with the children.

“They put the children at the front and the back” of motorcycles, he said.

Global conflict monitoring group ACLED has recorded 42 incidents of violence targeting students in Nigeria this year, which is a decline from 71 in 2024.

About 40 percent of the abductions involved ransom demands.

“Fragmented bandit groups and other armed actors are the most common perpetrators in these abductions or kidnappings, while Islamist groups are far less frequently responsible for targeted violence against students,” said ACLED.

 

Tags
childrenNiger StateParentsstudents
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post Mother arrested for sexually abusing her 3-year-old daughter •VIDEO
next post Rain forces changes to 2026 Winter Olympics flame ceremony
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
Headlines

As campaigns for 2027 elections begin, the race heats up

August 21, 20260
Headlines

JUST IN: FG declares one-day Public Holiday

August 21, 20260
Headlines

JUST IN: UK warns citizens against travel to 11 Nigerian states •FULL LIST

August 20, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
News

Federal Road Safety Corps promotes 7,472 personnel nationwide

August 21, 20260
Politics

You are real definition of economic ignorance — Atiku hits back at Tinubu

August 21, 20260
International

Tinubu’s alleged drug trafficking: Why we can’t release his record – FBI

August 21, 20260
International

India clamps down on Nigerians overstaying visa, four arrested already

August 21, 20260
News

African lawyers to converge on Port Harcourt for legal practice summit

August 21, 20260
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

INSIDE AKWA IBOM TODAY: When you empower women, you build a Nation — Governor Eno

August 21, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Federal Road Safety Corps promotes 7,472 personnel nationwide

August 21, 2026

You are real definition of economic ignorance — Atiku hits back at Tinubu

August 21, 2026

Tinubu’s alleged drug trafficking: Why we can’t release his record – FBI

August 21, 2026

India clamps down on Nigerians overstaying visa, four arrested already

August 21, 2026

African lawyers to converge on Port Harcourt for legal practice summit

August 21, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

Federal Road Safety Corps promotes 7,472 personnel nationwide

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

UK Prime Minister Starmer unveils plan to ease hospital backlogs

January 6, 2025
3

David Mark-led ADC rejects delisting, says INEC bowed to Tinubu’s pressure

April 2, 2026
4

Olympics: Women’s sport to be limited to biological females

March 26, 2026
5

Stay-at-home in Abia over FreeNnamdiKanu protest

October 20, 2025
6

2027: ADC won’t be blackmailed into making decision on zoning, says party spokesman

March 26, 2026
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Alleged N36 million fraud: Court fixes date to rule on Blessing CEO’s bail application

June 6, 2026
3

JUST IN: Defence Minister Mohammed Badaru quits Tinubu’s cabinet with immediate effect

December 2, 2025
4

US warship downs incoming missile fired from Yemen

January 26, 2024
5

Tension as gunmen kidnap newborn from teenage mother

March 31, 2026
6

EFCC boss Olukoyede vows to resign if ex-Governor Yahaya Bello is not prosecuted

April 23, 2024

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

BREAKING: 81-year-old Museveni sworn in for seventh term as Uganda’s President

May 12, 2026

10 Filipino sailors convicted in Nigeria, fined $6million for 20kg cocaine trafficking

March 18, 2026

PDP Chair: North Central demands slot to complete Ayu’s tenure

April 1, 2024

Aviation: FG revokes certificates of 2 operators

February 1, 2025
Top posts

Categories

  • News4925
  • Politics4588
  • Crime4409
  • International3040
  • Sports2457
  • Business & Economy2272
  • Headlines2221
  • Education1369
  • Matilda Showbiz983
  • Health877
  • Entertainment812
  • Africa576
  • Religion483
  • Environment364
  • Special277
  • Info Tech245
  • Arts & Culture240
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today204
  • Interview186
  • Opinion153
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade130
  • World Cup 202695
  • Advert34
  • Trends23
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Local News5

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact