Skip to content
Friday 22 May 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
Business & Economy
Business & Economy

Port Harcourt, Warri, Kaduna refineries may never work again, says Dangote

The FrontierThe FrontierJuly 11, 2025 2244 Minutes read0

•President/Chief Executive of Dangote Group, Aliko Dangote

The President of the Dangote Group, Alhaji Aliko Dangote, has doubted the possibility of the state-owned Port Harcourt, Warri, and Kaduna refineries functioning again.

Dangote also stated that the refineries, which are under the management of the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited, had gulped up to $18bn, yet have refused to work, reports The PUNCH.

The billionaire businessman spoke yesterday while hosting members of the Global CEO Africa from the Lagos Business School, after a tour of the Dangote Petroleum Refinery in Lekki, Lagos.

According to Dangote, the 650,000-capacity Dangote refinery, which he built after the government of late President Umar Yar’adua aborted his acquisition of the government refineries now has over 50 per cent of its output dedicated to Premium Motor Spirit (petrol), saying that even government refineries committed just 22 per cent of their production to petrol.

Dangote recalled how he and his team had to return the refineries to Yar’adua, a few months after former President Olusegun Obasanjo left office in 2007.

According to him, the former managers of the refinery had told Yar’Adua that Obasanjo sold the facilities below their costs as a parting gift to him.

“The refineries that we bought before, which were owned by Nigeria, were doing about 22 per cent of PMS. We bought the refineries in January 2007. Then we had to return them to the government because there was a change of government.

“And the managing director at that time convinced Yar’adua that the refineries would work. They said they just gave them to us as a parting gift or so. And as of today, they have spent about $18bn on those refineries, and they are still not working. And I don’t think, and I doubt very much if they will work,” he said.

Dangote emphasised that the turnaround maintenance of the refineries was like trying to modernise a car built 40 years ago, when technology has advanced.

“(The turnaround maintenance) is like you trying to modernise a car that was built 40 years ago, when technology and everything have changed. Even if you change the engine, the body will not be able to take the shock of that new technology engine,” he stated.

Dangote’s comment buttressed Obasanjo’s comments last year about the refineries, two of which were shut down again after they were declared operational by the former NNPC Group Managing Director, Mele Kyari, in Q4 2024.

Obasanjo had stated that the NNPC was aware that it could not operate the refineries, saying international oil companies like Shell once refused to run the facilities when he requested them to do so.

According to Obasanjo, some Nigerians, including Aliko Dangote, once paid $750m to take over the refineries; however, his successor, Yar’adua, aborted the deal.

“I ran to him (Yar’Adua), I said, ‘You know this is not right’. He said, ‘Well, NNPC said they can do it.’ I said, ‘NNPC cannot do it,’ I told my successor that ‘the refineries, from what I heard and know, will not work and when you want to sell them, you will not get anybody to buy them at $200m as scrap’. And that is the situation we are in.

“So, why do we do this kind of thing to ourselves? NNPC knew that they could not do it, but they knew they could eat and carry on with the corruption that was going on in NNPC. When people were there to do it, they put pressure. In a civilised society, those people should be in jail,” Obasanjo had stated.

Again, in January, Obasanjo said, “I was told not too long ago that since that time, more than $2bn have been squandered on the refineries and they still will not work.

“If a company like Shell tells me what they told me, I will believe them. If anybody tells you now that it (the refinery) is working, why are they now with Aliko (Dangote)? And Aliko will make his refinery work; not only make it work, he will make it deliver.”

Obasanjo concluded with a Yoruba proverb, comparing inflated claims about the refineries’ performance to a farmer who planted 100 heaps of yam but falsely claimed to have planted 200.

“They say that after he has harvested 100 heaps of yams, he will also have 100 heaps of lies. You know what that means,” he said.

Calls for the privatisation of the government-owned refineries, under the management of NNPC, intensified following the recent shutdown of the 60,000 barrels-per-day old Port Harcourt refinery, six months after it was declared operational.

The Warri refinery was also shut down one month after the former Group Chief Executive Officer of the NNPC, Mele Kyari, declared it open in December. The Manufacturers Association of Nigeria said the refineries were a drain on the country’s economy, calling on the Federal Government to sell off the facilities.

Crude refiners also advised the government to sell the refineries as scrap and use the proceeds to fund modular refineries, saying the facilities were a burden and liability to the government.

The federal government has consistently expended resources on the refineries, which went moribund many years ago. It was gathered that $1.4bn was approved for the rehabilitation of Port Harcourt refinery in 2021; $897m was earmarked for Warri and $586m for Kaduna refineries.

N100bn was reportedly spent on refinery rehabilitation in 2021, with N8.33bn monthly expenditure. $396.33m was spent on Turnaround Maintenance between 2013 and 2017. Despite all the financial allocations, the refineries remain unproductive at the moment.

The NNPC could not be reached at the moment. Despite not having a spokesman at the moment, the contacts on its website were not reachable. Messages sent to the lines were not responded to, up till when this report was filed.

Tags
DangoteKadunaPort HarcourtrefineriesWarri
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post LG autonomy: After one year, nothing has changed
next post Corrupt politicians using crypto wallets to launder money – EFCC chairman
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
Business & Economy

Multi-billionaire businessman Otedola to invest $100 million in Dangote refinery

May 20, 20260
Business & Economy

Economic hardship: Nigerian workers set for mother-of-all-strikes over poor wages, welfare

May 20, 20260
Business & Economy

CBN holds Monetary Policy Rate steady at 26.5%

May 20, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
International

TRAGEDY: Woman swept away as floods paralyse New York City •VIDEO

May 21, 20260
Politics

APC declares Chinda Rivers governorship candidate

May 21, 20260
Religion

Hajj: NAHCON concludes airlift operation to Saudi Arabia

May 21, 20260
Politics

BREAKING: Court nullifies 2027 election timelines issued by INEC

May 21, 20260
News

Commission seals real estate firms in Abuja for failure to address consumer complaints

May 21, 20260
Education

Varsity lecturers reject move by FG to abolish Humanities courses

May 21, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

TRAGEDY: Woman swept away as floods paralyse New York City •VIDEO

May 21, 2026

APC declares Chinda Rivers governorship candidate

May 21, 2026

Hajj: NAHCON concludes airlift operation to Saudi Arabia

May 21, 2026

BREAKING: Court nullifies 2027 election timelines issued by INEC

May 21, 2026

Commission seals real estate firms in Abuja for failure to address consumer complaints

May 21, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

TRAGEDY: Woman swept away as floods paralyse New York City •VIDEO

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Again, Trump fined $10,000 for violating gag order

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

States arrive Benin as Niger-Delta Games draw holds today

February 19, 2026
3

JUST IN: Niger Delta communities threaten to cripple oil production over Nnamdi Kanu’s continued detention

June 27, 2024
4

Again, gunmen abduct 87 in Kajuru village as CDS arrives Kaduna

March 18, 2024
5

ROMANCE GONE SOUR: My wife sleeps around like a dog, never satisfied with sex. I caught her with fellow pastor, other men

October 5, 2024
6

337 Ukrainian drones downed, says Russia

March 11, 2025
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

JUST IN: Explosion rocks Party secretariat in Rivers

August 12, 2024
3

Heartland FC coach, Christian Obi dies in road accident

August 24, 2024
4

Tinted glass enforcement revives police, lawyers dispute ahead of January deadline

December 16, 2025
5

JUST IN: Doctors who left scissors in patient’s stomach after surgery suspended

January 14, 2026
6

State govt, NDLEA, Police, other agencies take drug war to streets of Lagos •PHOTOS

January 5, 2024

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Varsity student found dead after missing for 5 days

August 3, 2025

Double taxation has crippled our business – Hotel operators in Nigeria cry out

February 12, 2024

5 things to look out for at 2025 AMVCA tonight

May 10, 2025

FG orders crackdown on unregistered IT firms

April 24, 2024
Top posts

Categories

  • News4554
  • Politics4108
  • Crime3902
  • International2748
  • Sports2267
  • Business & Economy2119
  • Headlines2076
  • Education1261
  • Matilda Showbiz892
  • Health800
  • Entertainment740
  • Africa465
  • Religion450
  • Environment320
  • Special262
  • Arts & Culture227
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Info Tech220
  • Interview176
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today172
  • Opinion145
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade117
  • Advert30
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Trends16
  • Local News4

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact