Skip to content
Sunday 23 August 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
International
International

US warplane downed over Iran, one crew rescued

The FrontierThe FrontierApril 3, 2026 1364 Minutes read0

•Debris consistent with US Air Force F-15

Iran launched a hunt for the US crew whose jet Iranian media said had been shot down by the Islamic republic’s air defence systems today, deploying troops and offering a bounty.

US media reported US special forces had rescued one of the two crew members, and a local official television station in southwestern Kohgiluyeh and Boyer-Ahmad province aired footage of what it said was wreckage of the downed plane.

The war started more than a month ago with US-Israeli strikes on Iran that killed Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei, triggering a retaliation that spread the conflict throughout the Middle East, convulsing the global economy and impacting millions of people worldwide, reports AFP.

US Central Command (CENTCOM), responsible for military operations in the Middle East, did not immediately respond to our request for comment on what would be the first known loss of a jet inside Iran since Trump ordered the war.

“Dear and honourable people of Kohgiluyeh and Boyer-Ahmad province, if you capture the enemy pilot or pilots alive and hand them over to the police and military forces, you will receive a valuable reward and bonus,” said an Iranian television reporter on the official local channel.

The report of the downed jet came as fresh strikes hit Israel, Iran, Lebanon and Gulf countries.

Meanwhile, large blasts rocked northern Tehran, our correspondent said.

Israel said it had launched a wave of strikes in the Iranian capital, alongside parallel attacks in Beirut.

– Blown-out windows –

Earlier, Israel’s military reported a new missile salvo from Iran, activating its air defences.

Strikes by all sides have increasingly targeted economic and industrial sites, raising fears of wider disruption to global energy supplies.

In a post on his Truth Social platform, Trump said the US military “hasn’t even started destroying what’s left in Iran. Bridges next, then Electric Power Plants!”, after US strikes damaged Iran’s tallest bridge.

In the area around the bridge, in Karaj, west of Tehran, our correspondent saw a villa and residential buildings with blown-out windows — but no military installations.

According to the deputy governor of Alborz province, the attack killed eight civilians and wounded 95 others.

About 70 per cent of Iran’s steel production capacity has been taken out, Israel said Friday.

In Abu Dhabi, Iran’s neighbour across the Gulf, metal giant Emirates Global Aluminium meanwhile said it could take up to a year before it can resume full production, after its site was damaged by Iranian strikes.

– Ex-FM urges peace deal –

Writing in the US journal Foreign Affairs, Iran’s former foreign minister, Mohammad Javad Zarif, said Tehran should make a deal with the United States to end the war by offering to curb its nuclear programme and reopen the Strait of Hormuz in exchange for sanctions relief.

Iran has virtually blocked the key waterway since the war began, where in peacetime one-fifth of the world’s oil and natural gas passes through.

Of the few ships that have managed to cross, most have had links to Iran, with sixty per cent of commodity-bearing ships crossing the strait either coming from Iran or heading there, our analysis of maritime data showed.

In the first known transit by a major European shipping group since March 1, the Maltese-flagged Kribi, belonging to the French maritime transport group CMA CGM, crossed the strait to exit the Gulf on Thursday, according Marine Traffic data analysed by our correspondent.

Three other ships, including one co-owned by a Japanese company, crossed yesterday, as commodities carriers see a 94 per cent drop in traffic compared to peacetime, according to data from business analysts Kpler.

Iranian military spokesperson Ebrahim Zolfaghari warned that, in response to Trump’s threats to attack infrastructure, Iran would increase its own attacks on energy sites in the region.

A drone attack on a refinery owned by Kuwait’s national oil company on Friday sparked fires at several of its units, state media said.

Later, an Iranian attack damaged a power and desalination complex, Kuwait’s water and electricity ministry said.

In Abu Dhabi, a gas complex shut after a fire broke out, following an attack that resulted in “falling debris” upon interception, the government media office said.

– Trump wants bigger defence budget –

Meanwhile, the Israeli military said today it had struck more than 3,500 targets across Lebanon in the month since fighting with Iran-backed Hezbollah militant group.

It added that it would attack two bridges in Lebanon’s eastern Bekaa region “in order to prevent the transfer of reinforcements and military equipment”.

Lebanon’s health ministry said on Thursday that 1,345 people had been killed — and 4,040 wounded — since the start of the war, including 1,129 men, 91 women and 125 children. Among those are 53 healthcare workers.

Hezbollah has so far not announced its losses.

The United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon said a blast wounded three peacekeepers, the third such incident in a week.

A UNIFIL spokesperson said the origin of the explosion was unknown.

The war’s economic impact is rippling far beyond the Middle East, as energy and oil costs surge.

At a protest in Lahore, Pakistan, over fuel price hikes, Naveed Ahmed, 39, told our correspondent: “The government, overnight, has dropped a ‘petrol bomb’ on its people.”

Meanwhile, the White House today sent a spending proposal to lawmakers calling for a massive hike to the US defence budget.

It remains to be seen what Congress will ultimately approve, but US media reported the $1.5 trillion budget request — a 42 per cent hike — would be the largest year-on-year increase in Pentagon spending since World War II.

Tags
crew rescuedIranUS warplane
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post This horrific violence must end NOW! – US lawmakers raise alarm over rising persecution of Christians in Nigeria
next post You’re not the court — ADC hits back at INEC chairman, vows to hold congresses
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
International

US, Canada unable to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs

August 22, 20260
International

One dead as plane hits car

August 22, 20260
International

BREAKING: US court permits FBI to review Tinubu drug case files in private

August 22, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Gists

Housekeeper wins $13 million court judgment against American music star Chris Brown

August 22, 20260
Gists

BBNaija Season 11: Cassi wins Arena Games for Week 4

August 22, 20260
Gossips

My wife filed for divorce without any quarrel – Popular Gospel singer Asu Ekiye

August 22, 20260
Matilda Showbiz

ROMANCE GONE SOUR: Her baby is too dark to be my son

August 22, 20260
Matilda Showbiz

Hot Lyrics: HEAVEN BABY, by Ayra Starr feat. ZAYN

August 22, 20260
Matilda Showbiz

Nigeria’s Top 10 Songs with ITTY OKIM •Week 34

August 22, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Housekeeper wins $13 million court judgment against American music star Chris Brown

August 22, 2026

BBNaija Season 11: Cassi wins Arena Games for Week 4

August 22, 2026

My wife filed for divorce without any quarrel – Popular Gospel singer Asu Ekiye

August 22, 2026

ROMANCE GONE SOUR: Her baby is too dark to be my son

August 22, 2026

Hot Lyrics: HEAVEN BABY, by Ayra Starr feat. ZAYN

August 22, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

Housekeeper wins $13 million court judgment against American music star Chris Brown

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Man kills self after wife’s death

April 25, 2025
3

Okuama: Residents, lawyer tell governor, police mind-boggling story of how militia tormented, killed, buried victims

April 21, 2024
4

Brazil records world’s first Oropouche virus deaths

July 26, 2024
5

How I was mocked, betrayed over 16 years of childlessness – Lagos-based married woman

December 6, 2025
6

Oga MAT: Commander-in-Thief (2)

November 8, 2025
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Paraguay declares holiday to celebrate 2026 World Cup qualification

September 6, 2025
3

Immigration Service announces disruptions on passport platform

December 12, 2025
4

EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade: Avoidable Blindness in Nigeria

March 31, 2025
5

Nigeria’s politics full of betrayals, says former President Jonathan

September 5, 2025
6

Shakeup in police as IG deploys 14 AIGs, 26 CPs

November 9, 2023

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Tinubu Tax: Anger grows in the North as youths attack Deputy Senate President

December 1, 2024

TUC hits back at Tinubu: We’re not politicians, it’s our right to protest

March 2, 2024

inDrive boosts safety with audio recording

July 8, 2026

Count us out of varsity lecturers strike, says rival union CONUA

October 13, 2025
Top posts

Categories

  • News4928
  • Politics4592
  • Crime4411
  • International3043
  • Sports2460
  • Business & Economy2273
  • Headlines2223
  • Education1369
  • Matilda Showbiz991
  • Health878
  • Entertainment812
  • Africa578
  • Religion483
  • Environment365
  • Special277
  • Info Tech245
  • Arts & Culture240
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today204
  • Interview186
  • Opinion153
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade130
  • World Cup 202695
  • Advert34
  • Trends23
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Local News5

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact