Skip to content
Saturday 23 May 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
International
International

Putin vows retribution for concert hall attack, as death toll climbs to 133

The FrontierThe FrontierMarch 24, 2024 2844 Minutes read0

•A law enforcement officer carries out the body of a victim

Russian President Vladimir Putin on Saturday vowed to punish those behind a “barbaric terrorist attack” on a Moscow concert hall that killed more than 130, saying Russia had arrested four gunmen who were trying to flee to Ukraine.

Kyiv has strongly denied any connection, and Putin made no reference to claims of responsibility by the Islamic State group (IS) in his first public remarks on the attack, reports AFP.

At least 133 people were killed when camouflaged gunmen stormed the Crocus City Hall, in Moscow’s northern suburb of Krasnogorsk, and then set fire to the building on Friday evening.

The jihadist group has claimed the attack, writing yesterday on a Telegram channel that it was “carried out by four IS fighters armed with machine guns, a pistol, knives and firebombs,” as part of “the raging war” with “countries fighting Islam”.

It is the deadliest attack in Russia for almost two decades and the deadliest in Europe to have been claimed by IS.

Russian officials expect the death toll to rise further, with more than 100 injured in hospital.

“Terrorists, murderers, non-humans … have only one unenviable fate: retribution and oblivion,” Putin said in a televised address to the nation yesterday.

‘Barbaric’

Calling the attack a “barbaric, terrorist act”, he said “all four direct perpetrators … all those who shot and killed people, have been found and detained”.

“They tried to escape and were travelling towards Ukraine, where, according to preliminary data, a window was prepared for them on the Ukrainian side to cross the state border,” he added.

Putin also compared the attackers to “Nazis” and said the attack was an “atrocity, a strike against Russia and our people”.

He named Sunday a day of national mourning.

Russia arrested 11 people in connection with the attack yesterday, the FSB security service said.

“All the perpetrators, organisers and those who ordered this crime will be justly and inevitably punished,” Putin said.

The FSB said earlier that the assailants had “contacts” in Ukraine, without providing further details.

Kyiv, facing a Russian military offensive for the past two years, had “nothing to do” with the attack, presidential aide Mykhailo Podolyak said in a statement.

Poland’s Prime Minister Donald Tusk said yesterday he hoped “this terrible tragedy will not become a pretext for anyone to escalate violence and aggression.”

At least 133 killed

Russia’s Investigative Committee, which probes major crimes, said rescue workers were still pulling bodies from the burnt-out building yesterday.

“The emergency services have found more bodies while clearing the debris,” it said in a statement on Telegram.

“The number of people killed in the terrorist attack has risen to 133. Search operations continue.”

The governor of the Moscow region said rescuers would continue to scour the site for “several days.”

Some 107 people were still in hospital, many in a critical condition, Deputy Prime Minister Tatyana Golikova said.

IS had first claimed responsibility for the attack on Friday night, repeating its claim again yesterday.

Some witnesses filmed the gunmen from the upper floors as they walked through the stalls shooting people, footage shared on social media showed.

Then “the terrorists used a flammable liquid to set fire to the concert hall’s premises, where spectators were located, including wounded,” the Investigative Committee said.

Investigators said people died both from gunshot wounds and smoke inhalation after a fire engulfed the 6,000-seater venue.

Flames quickly spread through the venue on Friday, with screaming concert-goers rushing to emergency exits.

Investigators also said they would issue an award to a man who had jumped on one of the attackers while he was shooting at the concert-goers, “immobilising” the gunman and “saving the lives of people around him”.

Blood queues

Putin did not address IS’s claim of responsibility in his first public remarks yesterday, which came more than 18 hours after the start of the attack.

The head of the state-run RT media outlet, Margarita Simonyan posted two videos claiming to be interrogations of two handcuffed suspects, who both admitted to the attack but did not say who organised it.

The interior ministry said all four of the suspected gunmen were foreign nationals, as Russian Telegram channels — including those with links to the security services — said they were from Tajikistan, a country that borders Afghanistan and where the jihadist group is active.

Tajikistan’s foreign ministry told Russia’s TASS news agency that authorities were “in close contact” with Moscow about the “supposed participation of the country’s citizens in the terrorist attack”.

In Moscow, residents stood in long lines in the rain to donate blood for those hospitalised, and mourners came to lay flowers outside the concert hall.

Memorial posters featuring a single candle replaced some advertising billboards in the capital.

Major events were cancelled across the country, including a friendly football match between Russia and Paraguay set to take place in Moscow tomorrow.

Statements of condemnation from world leaders continued to roll in.

US warning dismissed

Russia’s powerful intelligence services were also in the spotlight in the wake of the attack.

Just three days earlier, Putin had publicly dismissed a US warning of an “imminent” attack in Moscow as propaganda designed to scare Russian citizens.

The US embassy in Russia had warned on March 7 that “extremists have imminent plans to target large gatherings in Moscow, to include concerts”.

Washington said after the attack it had also shared details directly with Moscow.

But speaking to FSB chiefs last Tuesday, Putin had called it a “provocative” statement and “outright blackmail…to intimidate and destabilise our society”.

 

Tags
attackconcert hallPutinretributionvows
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post Eriksson fulfils lifelong dream by managing Liverpool in charity game
next post Varsity orders closure of academic activities after fire killed one student
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
International

China coal mine explosion kills at least 90, more missing

May 23, 20260
International

Trump to Nigerians, other Green Card applicants: Return to your home countries to apply

May 23, 20260
International

Right to strike: Organised Labour hails International Court of Justice ruling as a triumph for freedom, justice

May 22, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
News

HAPPENING NOW: Blackout hits Abuja, Embassies affected

May 23, 20260
Health

Kwara revives 100 Primary Health Care Centres, recruits 1,000 health workers

May 23, 20260
Politics

DOUBLE LOSS: Ministers who quit Tinubu’s cabinet but lost 2027 tickets •PHOTOS

May 23, 20260
Politics

Tinubu didn’t make Buhari President, says former Governor Amaechi

May 23, 20260
Politics

JUST IN: Former foreign affairs minister Tuggar loses Bauchi APC governorship race

May 23, 20260
Africa

Xenophobia attacks: South Africa set to verify Nigerians, other foreigners in immigration status review

May 23, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

HAPPENING NOW: Blackout hits Abuja, Embassies affected

May 23, 2026

Kwara revives 100 Primary Health Care Centres, recruits 1,000 health workers

May 23, 2026

DOUBLE LOSS: Ministers who quit Tinubu’s cabinet but lost 2027 tickets •PHOTOS

May 23, 2026

Tinubu didn’t make Buhari President, says former Governor Amaechi

May 23, 2026

JUST IN: Former foreign affairs minister Tuggar loses Bauchi APC governorship race

May 23, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

HAPPENING NOW: Blackout hits Abuja, Embassies affected

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Again, Trump fined $10,000 for violating gag order

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Pope Leo marks one year as pontiff

May 8, 2026
3

Iran’s new supreme leader alive but damaged, says Trump

March 13, 2026
4

Court declines ADC leadership dispute, cites lack of jurisdiction

April 16, 2026
5

Despite mounting debts, NNPC chases new oil-backed loan to boost finances

July 10, 2024
6

Amending Constitution one million times won’t solve Nigeria’s problems, says legal icon Ozekhome

July 12, 2025
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Man rescued from committing suicide over N1m debt

August 24, 2024
3

Kenya govt drops terror charge against prominent activist Mwangi

July 21, 2025
4

South Africa re-opens inquiry into death of apartheid-era activists

June 2, 2025
5

BREAKING: Rwanda shock Super Eagles at home but fail to qualify for AFCON

November 18, 2024
6

Women affairs minister unveils committee to strengthen child policy

January 24, 2025

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

18-year-old suspect dies in police custody

December 24, 2024

Nurse given life sentence for killing 10 patients

November 5, 2025

One death too many: Former Vice President Atiku laments killing of Army General Musa by bandits, knocks Tinubu for failure to protect Nigerians

November 18, 2025

Court fixes date to hear suit seeking deregistration of ADC, Accord, others

May 12, 2026
Top posts

Categories

  • News4561
  • Politics4128
  • Crime3909
  • International2751
  • Sports2274
  • Business & Economy2121
  • Headlines2076
  • Education1263
  • Matilda Showbiz892
  • Health805
  • Entertainment740
  • Africa471
  • Religion450
  • Environment320
  • Special262
  • Arts & Culture227
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Info Tech220
  • Interview177
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today172
  • Opinion145
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade117
  • Advert30
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Trends16
  • Local News4

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact