Skip to content
Monday 17 August 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
Business & Economy
Business & Economy

Stop blaming past govts for refineries’ woes — Former Vice President Atiku tells Tinubu

The FrontierThe FrontierAugust 17, 2026 106 Minutes read0

•Atiku and Tinubu

Former Vice President Atiku Abubakar has accused President Bola Tinubu of shifting responsibility for Nigeria’s troubled petroleum refineries to previous administrations, saying the current government must account for the billions of naira committed to the facilities under its watch.

Meanwhile, Nigerians from different sectors of the economy have expressed divergent views over the federal government’s plan to revive the state-owned refineries following Tinubu’s assurance that the nation’s refineries would resume operations, reports The Guardian.

He gave the assurance when he received the Executive President of the Nigeria Union of Petroleum and Natural Gas Workers (NUPENG), Mr Salimon Oladiti, and members of the union at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.

Atiku, in a statement yesterday by his Senior Special Assistant on Public Communication, Phrank Shaibu, said the Tinubu administration could no longer blame inherited liabilities after over three years in office.

He anchored his criticism on financial figures contained in the records of the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited (NNPCL) which, according to him, showed that the combined obligations of the Port Harcourt, Warri and Kaduna refineries to NNPCL rose from about N4.52 trillion in 2023 to N8.67 trillion in 2024.

The increase of approximately N4.15 trillion in one year, Atiku argued, raises questions about the financial commitments made to the refineries and the returns that Nigerians received from them.

The African Democratic Congress (ADC) presidential candidate also commented on a recent admission by NNPCL Group Chief Executive Officer, Bayo Ojulari, that the state-owned refineries had been operating at a “monumental loss” and that continuing their operations under the existing arrangement was destroying value.

Ojulari disclosed in February 2026, during a fireside chat at the Nigeria International Energy Summit in Abuja, that NNPCL had halted operations after an internal assessment found low utilisation, a lack of a credible path to profitability, and continued financial losses.

Atiku said the admission had exposed what he described as a contradiction in the federal government’s earlier presentation of the refinery rehabilitation programme.

“President Tinubu cannot have it both ways. When the cameras were rolling in November 2024, his government told Nigerians that the Port Harcourt Refinery was back,” the statement partly read.

“NNPCL announced that it was operating at 70 per cent capacity and expressly presented it as an achievement under President Tinubu’s leadership.

“Now that the celebration has turned into embarrassment, the same administration wants Nigerians to believe that the refineries are merely liabilities inherited from previous governments.”

The NNPCL had indeed announced on November 26, 2024, that the old 60,000-barrel-per-day Port Harcourt Refinery had resumed processing and that trucks had begun loading petrol, diesel and kerosene. The company said at the time that the facility was operating at 70 per cent of installed capacity, with plans to increase utilisation to 90 per cent.

Atiku challenged Tinubu to take ownership of both the successes and failures recorded by his administration, saying, “Mr President, you claimed the refinery when you thought it was working. You cannot disown it now that the smoke has cleared.”

The ADC candidate asked the federal government to explain how the refinery obligations increased by over N4 trillion in a single year and what Nigerians obtained from the expenditure.

“Nigerians deserve answers. If the combined obligations of these refineries jumped by over N4 trillion naira in 2024 alone, what exactly did Nigerians receive in return? Where did the money go? Where are the products? Where are the savings Nigerians were promised? And where is the refinery your government celebrated before television cameras?”, Atiku asked.

The controversy comes against the backdrop of years of unsuccessful attempts by successive administrations to revive Nigeria’s state-owned refineries.

The Port Harcourt Refinery rehabilitation was presented by NNPCL in November 2024 as a major step towards restoring domestic refining capacity. NNPCL said the old refinery was producing petroleum products and described its restart as a significant milestone for Nigeria’s energy security.

However, questions persisted over the commercial viability and sustained operation of the government-owned facilities. By February 2026, NNPCL management said an assessment had established that continuing to operate the refineries under the prevailing structure would result in further losses, prompting the temporary shutdown of the state-owned plants.

Atiku said the development was particularly troubling because Nigerians were still paying high prices for petroleum products despite the huge sums committed to restoring domestic refining capacity.

“Think about what N4 trillion could do for Nigeria,” he said, pointing to universities, hospitals, roads, electricity and potable water as areas that could have benefited from such resources.

“Yet, trillions accumulate around refineries that the government itself now effectively acknowledges have been haemorrhaging public resources.”

He described the situation as “an unforgivable failure of stewardship” and accused the administration of taking credit for projects when they appear successful while blaming predecessors when problems emerge.

“You cannot spend three years claiming credit for everything that appears to work and blaming your predecessors for everything that fails. Leadership does not work that way,” Atiku said.

The former vice president further argued that “President Tinubu’s scorecard after over three years is increasingly a story of fire and smoke – enormous expenditure, extravagant announcements and very little Nigerians can hold in their hands,” he said.

In another development, however, Nigerians in separate interviews yesterday in Lagos expressed their views. According to the former President, Nigerian Institution of Electrical and Electronic Engineers (NIEEE), Mr Adekunle Makinde, urged the president to undertake a comprehensive technical and economic assessment of the facilities before committing more resources to their rehabilitation, arguing that refineries are important national assets that should be preserved.

“Let’s do a deep dive. Let’s understand the fundamentals concerning these refineries and what exactly is required. These are not modern-day or state-of-the-art refineries,” he said.

“So, we need to determine how maintainable and sustainable they are before deciding whether to revive the old refineries or build new ones.”

He said the outcome of such studies would help the government determine the most economically viable option.

However, a former chairman of the Nigerian Bar Association, Badagry Branch, Mr Mohammed Shodipo, expressed reservations about continued investment in the old refineries.

Shodipo said successive governments had committed substantial funds to rehabilitating and revitalising the facilities without achieving sustainable results. He argued that directing such funds toward new refinery projects could provide better value for taxpayers’ money.

“The government of the day should be more proactive and result-oriented rather than just doing things for the sake of doing them,” he said.

“The present Nigerian economy requires prudent management of resources, making it important for government to ensure that every major project is economically viable, productive and sustainable.”

For the Lagos Headquarters Scout Commissioner, Grassroots Development, Mr Mustapha Ademola, the plan to revive the refineries was welcome and a necessary step.

Ademola, however, said Nigerians expected transparency, accountability and measurable results from the initiative.

According to him, “every Nigerian wants the refineries to work. The concern is that billions of dollars have reportedly been committed to rehabilitation over the years, yet the expected results have not been sustained.”

He urged the government to disclose the amount already spent on each refinery, their current condition, the cost and scope of the proposed rehabilitation, contractors involved, timelines and independently verifiable milestones.

Also, the Chief Executive Officer, Abolusodun Nigeria Ltd., Taoheed Asimi, advocated a strategic partnership with private investors to improve the management and operation of the refineries.

Asimi urged the federal government to consider selling a 50 per cent stake in the refineries to a Chinese company or another multinational operating in Nigeria. According to him, such an arrangement would enable the government to retain a 50 per cent stake while the strategic investor would hold the remaining 50 per cent.

Tags
Former Vice President Atikupast govtsrefineries’ woesTinubu
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post He belongs in psychiatric hospital — Pastor Enenche fires back at Islamic cleric Jingir over Muslim-Muslim presidential ticket
next post Teacher allegedly pours petrol on wife, sets her on fire
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
Business & Economy

Revenue Commission to unveil new sharing formula, judicial pay structure soon

August 16, 20260
Business & Economy

CBN removes discount window restrictions on govt securities transactions, foreign exchange

August 13, 20260
Business & Economy

Nigeria’s oil production declines as Strait of Hormuz passage tightens

August 13, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Education

Parents mobilise for protest over concession of King’s College

August 17, 20260
Crime

Woman found dead inside church with hand cut off

August 17, 20260
Crime

Teacher allegedly pours petrol on wife, sets her on fire

August 17, 20260
Politics

He belongs in psychiatric hospital — Pastor Enenche fires back at Islamic cleric Jingir over Muslim-Muslim presidential ticket

August 17, 20260
Health

Lagos to expand specialist health care capacity with Ojo, Somolu hospitals

August 17, 20260
Sports

At last, Barcelona reach deal with Man City to sign Rodri

August 17, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Parents mobilise for protest over concession of King’s College

August 17, 2026

Woman found dead inside church with hand cut off

August 17, 2026

Teacher allegedly pours petrol on wife, sets her on fire

August 17, 2026

Stop blaming past govts for refineries’ woes — Former Vice President Atiku tells Tinubu

August 17, 2026

He belongs in psychiatric hospital — Pastor Enenche fires back at Islamic cleric Jingir over Muslim-Muslim presidential ticket

August 17, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

Parents mobilise for protest over concession of King’s College

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Firm unveils App to manage diabetes

September 28, 2024
3

JUST IN: Nigeria’s Flamingos trounce South Africa, reach next round in 2025 U-17 Women’s World Cup

March 15, 2025
4

Vote-buying allegation, voter apathy mar Imo governorship election

November 11, 2023
5

Alaafin of Oyo raises alarm over insecurity in South-West, Kogi, Kwara; demands intensified action

April 19, 2026
6

Vivian Wilson: Meet billionaire Elon Musk’s 20-year-old son turned girl

July 23, 2024
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Jealous lover baths Lagos female spa worker in acid

May 6, 2026
3

Fake cosmetics producer nabbed in Lagos

April 22, 2024
4

#EndBadGovernance protests: Stop grandstanding, address hunger, hardship – Elders Council tells Tinubu

August 7, 2024
5

JUST IN: Bird strike hits Air Peace flight, causes major disruption

January 22, 2026
6

BREAKING: Nigeria’s Okonjo-Iweala reappointed WTO director-general

November 29, 2024

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Uncertainty over Bayo Ojulari’s job as NNPCL boss

August 4, 2025

Tax Reforms: No one will touch money in your bank account – Oyedele assures Nigerians

December 13, 2025

Varsity students vow to boycott exam over management’s refusal to issue ID cards

May 26, 2025

Unavailability of Forex, unholy govt policies remain major challenges of businesses in Nigeria – Employers association boss

March 5, 2024
Top posts

Categories

  • News4904
  • Politics4546
  • Crime4395
  • International3024
  • Sports2442
  • Business & Economy2263
  • Headlines2214
  • Education1357
  • Matilda Showbiz983
  • Health869
  • Entertainment803
  • Africa566
  • Religion483
  • Environment361
  • Special277
  • Info Tech243
  • Arts & Culture238
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today202
  • Interview185
  • Opinion153
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade129
  • World Cup 202695
  • Advert34
  • Trends23
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Local News5

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact