Skip to content
Tuesday 19 May 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
International
International

Trump links CNN’s ceasefire report to unknown Nigerian outlet

The FrontierThe FrontierApril 8, 2026 1392 Minutes read0

•Trump and Tinubu

United States President Donald Trump has drawn Nigeria into the global spotlight after alleging that a controversial report on the Iran-US ceasefire originated from a “fake news site” in the country.

Trump made the claim while criticising CNN over its coverage of the ceasefire agreement announced late yesterday, about two hours before a deadline he had earlier set for possible military action against Iran, reports Daily Trust.

CNN had reported a statement attributed to Iran’s Supreme National Security Council (SNSC), which claimed Tehran recorded a major victory in the conflict.

According to the report, the council said: “The enemy, in its unfair, unlawful, and criminal war against the Iranian nation, has suffered an undeniable, historic, and crushing defeat.”

The statement also suggested that Iran forced the United States to accept a 10-point plan.

However, Trump dismissed the report, alleging it was based on unverified information traced to Nigeria.

“The alleged Statement put out by CNN World News is a FRAUD, as CNN well knows,” he said.

“The false Statement was linked to a Fake News site (from Nigeria) and, of course, immediately picked up by CNN, and blared out as a ‘legitimate’ headline.”

In another post, the president described the source as “a new, trouble making site from Nigeria,” but did not name the platform or provide evidence to support the claim.

He also called on CNN to withdraw the report, noting that authorities were examining whether the publication could amount to a legal violation.

Nigeria’s media space under scrutiny

Trump’s remarks have placed Nigeria’s digital media landscape under international attention, despite the absence of any identified outlet linked to the disputed report.

As of the time of filing this report, no Nigerian news organisation has been officially named or confirmed as the source of the statement cited by CNN.

Media observers say the incident highlights the growing challenge of misinformation in a globally connected information ecosystem, where content can spread rapidly across borders without clear attribution.

They also caution that broad references to “fake news” from a specific country, without evidence, risk unfairly casting doubt on credible media institutions operating within that space.

Iran releases separate statements after ceasefire

Following the ceasefire announcement, Iran’s Foreign Minister, Abbas Araghchi, issued a separate statement outlining Tehran’s position and acknowledging diplomatic engagement.

He thanked Pakistan for its mediation role and signalled conditional de-escalation.

“If attacks against Iran are halted, our Powerful Armed Forces will cease their defensive operations,” Araghchi said.

“For a period of two weeks, safe passage through the Strait of Hormuz will be possible via coordination with Iran’s Armed Forces and with due consideration of technical limitations.”

Araghchi said he spoke on behalf of the SNSC, Iran’s top national security body.

Meanwhile, Tasnim, a news agency affiliated with the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, also published a statement attributed to the council, echoing similar language reported earlier.

“The enemy has suffered an undeniable, historic and crushing defeat in its cowardly, illegal and criminal war against the Iranian nation,” the statement read.

Questions over origin of disputed report

The episode underscores the complexities of information flow in international crises, with conflicting narratives emerging from different actors.

While Trump insists the report originated from Nigeria and was falsely amplified, no independent verification has confirmed the claim or identified any Nigerian outlet involved.

The development leaves Nigeria at the centre of a high-profile media dispute, even as questions remain over the true source of the contested statement.

Tags
ceasefire reportCNNTrumpunknown Nigerian outlet
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post Oil windfall: World Bank cautions Nigeria against reckless spending
next post BREAKING: Dangote Refinery returns petrol price to N1,200 as crude dips after Trump’s ceasefire announcement
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
International

Finland plans stricter rules for international students

May 19, 20260
International

Global oil price jumps as Middle East tensions deepen

May 19, 20260
International

Trump holds off attack on Iran after intervention by Gulf leaders

May 19, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Business & Economy

Naira to Dollar exchange rate today

May 19, 20260
Politics

Senator Natasha mocks APC over former Governor Bello’s clearance despite EFCC case

May 19, 20260
International

Finland plans stricter rules for international students

May 19, 20260
Environment

Contaminated water in Lagos inflicts deadly illnesses on children

May 19, 20260
Politics

APC National Assembly tickets: A battle of wits between governors and senators

May 19, 20260
International

Global oil price jumps as Middle East tensions deepen

May 19, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Naira to Dollar exchange rate today

May 19, 2026

Senator Natasha mocks APC over former Governor Bello’s clearance despite EFCC case

May 19, 2026

Finland plans stricter rules for international students

May 19, 2026

Contaminated water in Lagos inflicts deadly illnesses on children

May 19, 2026

APC National Assembly tickets: A battle of wits between governors and senators

May 19, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

Naira to Dollar exchange rate today

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Again, Trump fined $10,000 for violating gag order

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Without decisive intervention, new cases of lead poisoning will emerge – Expert

December 13, 2025
3

Russian strike on Ukraine train station wounds at least 30 – President Zelensky

October 4, 2025
4

Insecurity: Stakeholders urge JAMB to avoid early morning roster for UTME test

April 15, 2025
5

PDP shifts NWC meeting over Wike, governors tension

September 5, 2024
6

Nigerian Guild of Editors, SERAP sue Niger governor, NBC over shutdown of Badeggi FM

August 11, 2025
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

French university rejects Gaza female student over hateful online posts

July 31, 2025
3

Delta govt demotes 2 engineers for certifying uncompleted projects

February 21, 2025
4

Chelsea face 74 charges over alleged breaches of agent rules

September 11, 2025
5

How to check JAMB 2026 mock result

April 1, 2026
6

Nigerians react to $10,000 bank balance, other conditions to obtain UAE visa

July 16, 2024

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

#EndBadGovernance protesters fighting legitimate course – Former President Obasanjo

August 9, 2024

Elon Musk reclaims world’s richest person title

December 13, 2024

JUST IN: Shallipopi, Ayra Star, Burna Boy, other Nigerian stars shine as All Africa Music Awards releases 2025 nominations •Voting date fixed

August 27, 2025

Barcelona eyeing €30 million Man United Jadon Sando

August 22, 2024
Top posts

Categories

  • News4545
  • Politics4078
  • Crime3891
  • International2740
  • Sports2258
  • Business & Economy2115
  • Headlines2074
  • Education1253
  • Matilda Showbiz892
  • Health799
  • Entertainment734
  • Africa463
  • Religion449
  • Environment320
  • Special262
  • Arts & Culture227
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Info Tech220
  • Interview176
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today172
  • Opinion145
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade117
  • Advert30
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Trends16
  • Local News4

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact