Skip to content
Friday 22 May 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
International
International

Trump threatens Canada with 35 percent tariff rate

The FrontierThe FrontierJuly 11, 2025 1442 Minutes read0

•Mark Carney and Donald Trump

Canada will face a 35 percent tariff on exports to the United States starting August 1, President Donald Trump said Thursday in a letter to Prime Minister Mark Carney.

It was the latest of more than 20 such letters issued by Trump since Monday, as he continues to pursue his trade war threats against dozens of economies, reports AFP.

Canada and the US have been locked in trade negotiations in hopes of reaching a deal by July 21, but the latest threat appeared to have shifted that deadline.

Both Canada and Mexico are trying to find ways to satisfy Trump so that the free trade deal uniting the three countries — known as the USMCA — can be put back on track.

“Throughout the current trade negotiations with the United States, the Canadian government has steadfastly defended our workers and businesses. We will continue to do so as we work towards the revised deadline of August 1,” Carney posted on social media platform X last night.

The United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement replaced the previous NAFTA accord in July 2020, after Trump successfully pushed for a renegotiation during his first term in office.

It was due to be reviewed by July next year, but Trump has thrown the process into disarray by launching his trade wars after he took office in January.

Canadian and Mexican products were initially hard hit by 25 percent US tariffs, with a lower rate for Canadian energy.

Trump targeted both neighbours, saying they did not do enough on illegal immigration and the flow of illicit drugs — particularly fentanyl — across borders.

Canada contributes less than one percent of the drug to the illicit US supply, according to Canadian and US government data.

Trump eventually announced exemptions for goods entering his country under the USMCA, covering large swaths of products.

The USMCA exemptions are poised to remain unchanged, Bloomberg reported, quoting an unnamed official.

The letter yesterday came despite what had been warming relations between Trump and Carney, who has been faced with his counterpart’s regular musings that Canada should become the 51st US state.

Reciprocity

The Canadian leader came to the White House on May 6 and had a cordial meeting with Trump in the Oval Office.

They met again at the G7 summit last month in Canada, where leaders pushed Trump to back away from his punishing trade war.

Canada also agreed to rescind taxes impacting US tech firms that had prompted Trump to retaliate by calling off trade talks.

Separately, Trump announced in an interview with NBC that he was also thinking of slapping blanket tariffs of between 15 and 20 percent on August 1 on countries that had not yet received one of his letters.

The letters announce tariff rates of as much as 50 percent in the case of Brazil to kick in on August 1 unless better terms can be found before then.

Trump told NBC that the letter to the 27-country European Union, the US’s biggest trading partner, would be sent “today (Thursday)or tomorrow (Friday).”

Brazilian President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva said yesterday that he is willing to negotiate with the United States after Trump said he would hit the country with his tough tariff.

He however reiterated that the Brazilian government is evaluating reciprocity measures.

In his letter addressed to Lula, Trump criticised the treatment of his right-wing ally Jair Bolsonaro.

Tags
Canadatariff rateTrump
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post Liverpool to honour Diogo Jota in return to action at Preston
next post Why we’re yet to pay June salaries to workers – FG
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
International

TRAGEDY: Woman swept away as floods paralyse New York City •VIDEO

May 21, 20260
International

Australian court upholds $465,000 fine against Elon Musk’s X

May 21, 20260
International

Nigerian, 8 other deportees from US arrive Sierra Leone

May 21, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Health

Research alone can’t fix Nigeria’s Healthcare crisis — Prof. Onoka

May 22, 20260
Business & Economy

Chinese investors may acquire majority stake in Port Harcourt, Warri refineries

May 22, 20260
Politics

Judgment on INEC timetable will push many out of APC, says ADC

May 22, 20260
Africa

India-Africa summit postponed due to Ebola outbreak

May 22, 20260
Politics

INEC timetable: Relief for opposition as parties weigh options after court ruling

May 22, 20260
News

Nigerian Navy kick-starts 70th anniversary celebrations

May 22, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Research alone can’t fix Nigeria’s Healthcare crisis — Prof. Onoka

May 22, 2026

Chinese investors may acquire majority stake in Port Harcourt, Warri refineries

May 22, 2026

Judgment on INEC timetable will push many out of APC, says ADC

May 22, 2026

India-Africa summit postponed due to Ebola outbreak

May 22, 2026

INEC timetable: Relief for opposition as parties weigh options after court ruling

May 22, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

Research alone can’t fix Nigeria’s Healthcare crisis — Prof. Onoka

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Again, Trump fined $10,000 for violating gag order

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Boko Haram funding: HURIWA questions Nigeria’s intelligence failures

January 9, 2025
3

Oscar-winning actress Diane Keaton is dead

October 12, 2025
4

Filling stations hike petrol price amid Dangote-NNPCL crude dispute

April 1, 2025
5

US President Donald Trump to lead task force for 2026 FIFA World Cup

March 8, 2025
6

FG, States, LGs share N1.678 trillion February revenue

March 22, 2025
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

EXPOSED: Northern groups uncover plot to stop Tinubu in 2027

April 28, 2024
3

2027: Tinubu’s loyalists regroup, revive structures

August 4, 2025
4

NYSC adopts digital solutions, physical verification to check mobilisation of fake graduates

January 18, 2024
5

High cost of living: Trade Union Congress seeks increase in allowances

January 6, 2026
6

3 brothers killed during Lagos high-rise building fire buried in Anambra

January 15, 2026

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Gov Fubara absent at Wike’s luncheon

January 7, 2024

Why we support NASS on parliamentary govt – Afenifere

February 17, 2024

2027 elections: Tinubu posters disappear from Abuja roads

December 16, 2025

Chelsea’s Champions League hopes in tatters after defeat against Man United

April 19, 2026
Top posts

Categories

  • News4555
  • Politics4112
  • Crime3903
  • International2748
  • Sports2268
  • Business & Economy2120
  • Headlines2076
  • Education1261
  • Matilda Showbiz892
  • Health801
  • Entertainment740
  • Africa466
  • Religion450
  • Environment320
  • Special262
  • Arts & Culture227
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Info Tech220
  • Interview176
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today172
  • Opinion145
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade117
  • Advert30
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Trends16
  • Local News4

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact