Skip to content
Tuesday 18 August 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
International
International

US Supreme Court allows Trump to resume deportation of migrants

The FrontierThe FrontierJune 24, 2025 3212 Minutes read0

•US President Donald Trump

The US Supreme Court has cleared the way for President Donald Trump’s administration to resume deportations of migrants to countries other than their homeland.

By 6-3, the justices reversed a lower court order requiring the government to give migrants a “meaningful opportunity” to tell officials what risks they might face being deported to a third country, reports BBC.

The court’s three liberal justices dissented from the majority ruling, saying it was “rewarding lawlessness”.

The case involves eight migrants from Myanmar, South Sudan, Cuba, Mexico, Laos and Vietnam, who were deported in May on a plane said to be heading for South Sudan. The Trump administration said they were “the worst of the worst”.

Boston-based US District Judge Brian Murphy ruled the removals had violated an order he issued in April that migrants must have a chance to argue they could be tortured or killed if they were removed to third countries – even if their other legal appeals had already failed.

Justices Sonia Sotomayor, Elena Kagan and Ketanji Brown Jackson criticised the majority’s unsigned decision on Monday, calling it a “gross abuse”.

“Apparently, the court finds the idea that thousands will suffer violence in farflung locales more palatable than the remote possibility that a district court exceeded its remedial powers when it ordered the government to provide notice and process to which the plaintiffs are constitutionally and statutorily entitled,” Sotomayor wrote.

“That use of discretion is as incomprehensible as it is inexcusable.”

The Department of Homeland Security said the ruling was “a victory for the safety and security of the American people.”

“Fire up the deportation planes,” said the agency’s spokeswoman, Tricia McLaughlin.

The Trump administration said the eight migrants had committed “heinous crimes” in the US, including murder, arson and armed robbery.

But the migrants’ lawyers said in a filing to the Supreme Court that many of the detainees had no criminal convictions.

The National Immigration Litigation Alliance, which has represented the plaintiffs, called the court’s ruling “horrifying”.

Its executive director, Trina Realmuto, said the decision exposed their clients to “torture and death”.

Trump brought the case to the justices after a Boston-based Appeal Court last month declined to block the lower court ruling.

The original intervention by Judge Murphy, a Biden appointee, prompted the US government to keep the migrants in the Horn of Africa nation of Djibouti, where an American military base is located.

US Solicitor General John Sauer told the Supreme Court that immigration agents had “been forced to establish a makeshift detention facility for dangerous criminals” in a converted conference room.

Sauer said the government is often unable to deport violent criminal migrants to their homelands as those countries refuse to take them back, which he said allows them to stay in the US “victimising law-abiding Americans”.

Yesterday’s decision is another victory for the Republican president in his pursuit of mass deportations.

Last month, the Supreme Court allowed Trump to end Temporary Protected Status for Venezuelan nationals, affecting about 350,000 migrants.

In another ruling in May, the justices said the president could temporarily pause a humanitarian programme that has allowed nearly half a million migrants from Cuba, Haiti, Nicaragua and Venezuela to stay in the US for two years.

Tags
deportationmigrantsTrumpUS Supreme Court
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post 80-year-old Uganda President Museveni to seek re-election
next post Site engineer reportedly killed, 15 workers injured In Lagos land dispute attack
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
International

5 easiest countries for Africans to get a work visa in 2026

August 17, 20260
International

Hotel fire outbreak, temple stampede kill 15 Hindu worshippers in India

August 17, 20260
International

Strait of Hormuz: We’ll bomb the shit out of Oman if it gets in way of Iran deal — Trump threatens

August 17, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Education

200 varsity lecturers resign, strike looms

August 17, 20260
Education

LASU 2026 best graduating student gets N10 million cash prize

August 17, 20260
Sports

BREAKING: NFF sacks Coach Madugu, Super Falcons’ crew with immediate effect

August 17, 20260
Headlines

How Nigerians can apply for FG loan to build, buy a house

August 17, 20260
International

5 easiest countries for Africans to get a work visa in 2026

August 17, 20260
Politics

Edo Assembly: Why we removed Agbebaku – New Speaker

August 17, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

200 varsity lecturers resign, strike looms

August 17, 2026

LASU 2026 best graduating student gets N10 million cash prize

August 17, 2026

BREAKING: NFF sacks Coach Madugu, Super Falcons’ crew with immediate effect

August 17, 2026

How Nigerians can apply for FG loan to build, buy a house

August 17, 2026

5 easiest countries for Africans to get a work visa in 2026

August 17, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

200 varsity lecturers resign, strike looms

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

BREAKING: JAMB releases 2026 UTME original result slips for printing

June 17, 2026
3

REVEALED: Real reason no governor is willing to join ADC coalition – Party spokesman

July 27, 2025
4

Panic as kidnappers detain those who brought ransom for abducted Ondo APC chairman

May 15, 2025
5

Akwa Ibom oldies applaud Gov Eno on plans for elderly people’s home

February 5, 2024
6

After 126 days in custody, El-Rufai’s case adjourned till another 3 months •Former governor developing prostrate cancer in detention – Family

June 24, 2026
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Certificate forgery scandal: Carry your cross – Enugu Govt tells Minister Uche Nnaji

October 7, 2025
3

2027: How Obidients are planning Peter Obi’s victory — Chairperson

January 18, 2025
4

78 enslaved Nigerian girls set free, return from Ivory Coast

May 12, 2025
5

PDP not dead – Damagum replies Kwankwaso

December 31, 2024
6

Nationwide protests: Governor Eno to launch monthly support programme for 5,000 unemployed youths

August 2, 2024

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Court orders dismissal of Brazil Football Federation president

May 16, 2025

Emir Sanusi appoints new Galadima, 4 others

May 2, 2025

APC chieftain urges NEC to convene meeting to replace national chairman, Ganduje

November 5, 2024

Ghana hands over rebuilt Nigerian High Commission property in Accra

November 20, 2024
Top posts

Categories

  • News4910
  • Politics4549
  • Crime4400
  • International3027
  • Sports2443
  • Business & Economy2263
  • Headlines2215
  • Education1359
  • Matilda Showbiz983
  • Health870
  • Entertainment805
  • Africa568
  • Religion483
  • Environment363
  • Special277
  • Info Tech244
  • Arts & Culture238
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today202
  • Interview185
  • Opinion153
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade130
  • World Cup 202695
  • Advert34
  • Trends23
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Local News5

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact