Skip to content
Tuesday 18 August 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
News
News

We’re not hiring Nigerians to fight in Ukraine war – Russia

The FrontierThe FrontierFebruary 11, 2026 1543 Minutes read0

•A ‘Grad’ self-propelled 122mm multiple rocket launcher fires towards a Ukrainian position in the Kursk region, Russia 

Russia has denied hiring Nigerians as soldiers to fight in its war against Ukraine.

In February 2022, Russia launched a full-scale invasion of Ukraine and began occupying more of the country, starting the current phase of the war regarded as the biggest conflict in Europe since World War II.

Last week, DAILY NIGERIAN reported how four Nigerians — Adam Anas, Akinlawon Tunde Quyuum, Abugu Stanley Onyeka and Balogun Ridwan Adisa — were killed on the frontlines.

The deceased were said to have been recruited on the false pretence of “security job” but ended up being conscripted and deployed to the war front after three weeks of training.

The Russian government has since denied issuing visas to Nigerians for the purpose of fighting for the country in Ukraine.

The newspaper quoted its sources as saying the Nigerian fighters died on the frontline on different dates between December 2025 and January 2026.

It claimed that the news of the death of the four Nigerians was first broken in a secret WhatsApp group opened by the African mercenaries.

The report claimed that the Russian Embassy in Abuja granted the Nigerian mercenaries a single-entry tourist visa without biometric capture and fulfilling other application requirements, adding that the mercenaries were promised a tempting monthly salary of 200,000 ruble (about 3.6million naira) as well as allowances and other perks.

But when they landed in Russia, they were allegedly forced into the military and given little training before being deployed to the frontline.

They were reportedly made to sign military service contracts in Russian without lawyers or translation provided.

Some alleged that their passports were confiscated, effectively making it impossible to flee.

But Russia has denied any government-backed programme to recruit Nigerians to fight in the war in Ukraine, insisting that any such activity, if it exists, is not connected with the Russian state.

The Russian Ambassador to Nigeria, Andrey Podyolyshev, stated this yesterday in Abuja while responding to reports that Nigerians had been recruited to fight on the frontlines, reports Daily Trust.

“There is no government-supported programme to recruit Nigerians to fight in Ukraine. If there are illegal organisations or individuals trying to recruit Nigerians by unlawful means, this is not connected with the Russian state.”

“If anybody has this information, we are ready to send it to Russian law enforcement authorities so they can investigate those cases,” he said.

Podyolyshev also reacted to reports by Western media that some Nigerians were deceived into joining the conflict.

“You are receiving information from Western sources. Their main task is to demonise Russia. If you want to know the real situation, you should send journalists to Russia to understand what is really happening,” the Ambassador said.

While acknowledging that some Nigerians may be in the conflict zone, he maintained there was no official Russian policy behind it.

“There are such Nigerians, I know, but there is no government-supported programme to recruit them. If there are agencies, including Russian agencies, violating Russian law, we are ready to transmit this information to our law enforcement authorities,” he said.

The ambassador also called for stronger economic engagement between both countries, noting that the last session of the Russia–Nigeria Intergovernmental Commission on Economic Cooperation was held about 10 years ago.

Podyolyshev also highlighted Nigeria’s influence within ECOWAS and the African Union, recalling its peacekeeping roles in Liberia, Sierra Leone and The Gambia.

“Nigeria showed readiness to take responsibility for regional stability. Within ECOWAS, Nigeria is the core of the organisation in terms of population, economy and military potential,” he said.

In the energy sector, he disclosed that both countries were working on long-term projects, including nuclear cooperation.

 

Tags
NigeriansRussiaUkraine war
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post Bill to label Fulani militia as terrorists, stop Christian persecution reaches US Congress
next post Senate’s e-transmission approval raises new questions
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
News

Niger Delta stakeholders renew calls for restructuring, resource control •Demand 70% oil revenue

August 17, 20260
News

JUST IN: Real reason I resigned as Edo Speaker — Agbebaku

August 17, 20260
News

Aviation minister Keyamo urges International Air Transport Association to review Delta Airport location code

August 17, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Education

200 varsity lecturers resign, strike looms

August 17, 20260
Education

LASU 2026 best graduating student gets N10 million cash prize

August 17, 20260
Sports

BREAKING: NFF sacks Coach Madugu, Super Falcons’ crew with immediate effect

August 17, 20260
Headlines

How Nigerians can apply for FG loan to build, buy a house

August 17, 20260
International

5 easiest countries for Africans to get a work visa in 2026

August 17, 20260
Politics

Edo Assembly: Why we removed Agbebaku – New Speaker

August 17, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

200 varsity lecturers resign, strike looms

August 17, 2026

LASU 2026 best graduating student gets N10 million cash prize

August 17, 2026

BREAKING: NFF sacks Coach Madugu, Super Falcons’ crew with immediate effect

August 17, 2026

How Nigerians can apply for FG loan to build, buy a house

August 17, 2026

5 easiest countries for Africans to get a work visa in 2026

August 17, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

200 varsity lecturers resign, strike looms

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

PDP sacks state exco, sets up caretaker committee in Akwa Ibom

October 1, 2025
3

BREAKING: Controversial Islamic cleric, Sheikh Gumi deported from Saudi Arabia

May 26, 2025
4

LG elections: Police announce restriction of movement in Lagos

July 9, 2025
5

FG to increase salaries of President, Ministers, other political office holders •Organised Labour kicks

August 19, 2025
6

Tension as gunmen shoot lawyer, client dead after court session

May 15, 2025
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Spain aim for World Cup date with France if they beat Belgium today

July 10, 2026
3

Helicopter operators threaten to ground services over new charges by FG

May 4, 2024
4

FIFA condemns Senegal for unacceptable scenes in Africa Cup of Nations final

January 19, 2026
5

Wike’s PDP death wish like harming one’s own family – Former Vice President Atiku’s aide

May 13, 2025
6

Why we’re yet to pay June salaries to workers – FG

July 11, 2025

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

FG scraps UTME requirement for NCE candidates

May 11, 2026

My life in danger – Ohanaeze leader, Iwuanyanwu raises alarm

May 9, 2024

War over Vice President Shettima’s N15billion residence

December 8, 2023

Revamped Bayern host Chelsea as Champions League begins •FULL FIXTURES TODAY

September 16, 2025
Top posts

Categories

  • News4910
  • Politics4549
  • Crime4400
  • International3027
  • Sports2443
  • Business & Economy2263
  • Headlines2215
  • Education1359
  • Matilda Showbiz983
  • Health870
  • Entertainment805
  • Africa568
  • Religion483
  • Environment363
  • Special277
  • Info Tech244
  • Arts & Culture238
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today202
  • Interview185
  • Opinion153
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade130
  • World Cup 202695
  • Advert34
  • Trends23
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Local News5

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact