Skip to content
Thursday 21 May 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
Crime
Crime

42 Chinese, Filipinos convicted of cyber crimes deported

The FrontierThe FrontierAugust 18, 2025 972 Minutes read0

•The deportees

The Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS) has commenced the deportation of 192 foreigners convicted of internet fraud and Ponzi Scheme offences.

The first batch, comprising 42 Chinese and Filipinos, was flown out through the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos, around 2 pm yesterday.

The rest(150) will follow suit between today and tomorrow, reports The Nation.

A Federal High Court in Lagos jailed the 42 Chinese and Filipinos for one year each after they entered plea bargain pacts with the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).

They were fined N1 million each by the court, which also directed the Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS) to repatriate them to their countries of origin within seven days on completion of the jail term.

In July, the anti-graft agency, which in December 2024 nabbed them and 600 Nigerians, in building on Victoria Island, Lagos, secured final forfeiture of $222,729 digital assets seized from some of them.

The foreigners were said to be using the building on Oyin Jolayemi to “train Nigerians on how to initiate romance and investment scams.”

According to court documents, the syndicate’s company, Genting International Co. Limited, received more than N2.26 billion between April and December last year.

A statement by the EFCC on the foreigners’ deportation reads: ‘’The Nigerian Immigration Service will today(yesterday), deport 42 out of the 192 Chinese and Philippine nationals convicted for cyber terrorism and Ponzi scheme offences back to their home countries.

‘’The first batch of deportees, scheduled to leave Nigeria at exactly 2 pm. local time, were among 759 persons arrested during a major raid on December 10, 2024, at Oyin Jolayemi Street, Victoria Island, Lagos.

‘’Other deportees will depart Nigeria on Monday(today) and Tuesday respectively and will be airlifted back to their countries.

‘’All the convicts were handed over to the Nigerian Immigration Service for deportation.

‘’The syndicate had been operating a large-scale cyber fraud and Ponzi scheme before being rounded up in a joint operation.

‘’A total of 192 foreigners —comprising Chinese and Philippine nationals—were convicted in connection with the scam.”

‘’Several of the charges included allegations of using fake identities online to defraud victims, training employees of Genting International Co. Limited in fraudulent practices, and other offences under the Advance Fee Fraud and Other Related Offences Act, 2006.’’

The EFCC explained last year that the charges against the convicts highlighted serious crimes aimed at undermining Nigeria’s security and financial integrity through cybercrime and fraudulent activities.

It said the foreigners selected their Nigerian accomplices based on their computer skills. The successful ones among them were made to undergo a 14-day training on impersonation strategies.

“Once they established contact and built trust with victims, the foreign syndicate leaders would take over the scam and block their Nigerian collaborators from further access to the chats, keeping them in the dark about ongoing transactions,” he said.

The Nigerians, who were not issued employment letters, were paid in cash or through third-party accounts.

Tags
Chinesecyber crimesdeportedFilipinos
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post Arsenal overpower Man United to begin Premier League campaign
next post Concluded by-elections dress rehearsal for 2027 – ADC, says democracy declining under Tinubu
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
Crime

Police officer threatens to kill anyone who films him on duty •VIDEO

May 21, 20260
Crime

COUP TRIAL: Accused Army Colonel rejects military court

May 21, 20260
Crime

Daredevil gunmen kidnap Research Institute workers

May 21, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Education

NYSC announces date to commence 2026 Batch B Stream I orientation

May 21, 20260
Education

JAMB releases 279 previously withheld UTME results

May 21, 20260
Crime

Police officer threatens to kill anyone who films him on duty •VIDEO

May 21, 20260
Politics

Natasha clinches PDP ticket, strengthens grip on Kogi Central ahead of 2027

May 21, 20260
Politics

BREAKING: Allegations of mandatory N5 billion in aspirant’s bank account trails NDC governorship screening

May 21, 20260
Education

JUST IN: Tinubu appoints new JAMB Registrar

May 21, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

NYSC announces date to commence 2026 Batch B Stream I orientation

May 21, 2026

JAMB releases 279 previously withheld UTME results

May 21, 2026

Police officer threatens to kill anyone who films him on duty •VIDEO

May 21, 2026

Natasha clinches PDP ticket, strengthens grip on Kogi Central ahead of 2027

May 21, 2026

BREAKING: Allegations of mandatory N5 billion in aspirant’s bank account trails NDC governorship screening

May 21, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

NYSC announces date to commence 2026 Batch B Stream I orientation

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Again, Trump fined $10,000 for violating gag order

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Trump raises pressure on US Central Bank, calls for Fed Reserve Governor to resign

August 21, 2025
3

Ex-Governor Obaseki blames APC-induced inflation for road contract review

December 13, 2024
4

ADC demands former Minister Nnaji’s probe, says forgery not private offence

October 8, 2025
5

African workers task govts, others to end violence crimes against women

June 24, 2025
6

Governor Umo Eno’s unending honeymoon with unionists and workers, By Anietie Usen

January 22, 2025
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Nigerians sleep in waste bins amid UK deportation threat

January 17, 2026
3

BREAKING: Many feared dead in tanker explosion

October 3, 2025
4

Tariff hike forces Nigerian subscribers to cut data usage – Report

May 26, 2025
5

Super Eagles captain Ndidi’s father killed in road accident

January 27, 2026
6

Nigeria’s productivity crisis deepens as per capita income drops drastically

November 4, 2024

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

REVEALED: FG yet to meet electricity generating companies over N4.7 trillion debt despite promises

July 1, 2025

Refund N3 billion to traders at Onitsha drugs market – Group tells NAFDAC

May 30, 2025

Gov. Eno promises more development to Akwa Ibom people , as he submits nomination form for second term

May 7, 2026

Morocco ready as Africa Cup of Nations 2025 kicks off today •PHOTOS

December 21, 2025
Top posts

Categories

  • News4551
  • Politics4101
  • Crime3901
  • International2747
  • Sports2267
  • Business & Economy2119
  • Headlines2076
  • Education1257
  • Matilda Showbiz892
  • Health800
  • Entertainment740
  • Africa465
  • Religion449
  • Environment320
  • Special262
  • Arts & Culture227
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Info Tech220
  • Interview176
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today172
  • Opinion145
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade117
  • Advert30
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Trends16
  • Local News4

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact