Skip to content
Tuesday 19 May 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
International
International

War with Hamas will last many more months – Israel army chief

The FrontierThe FrontierDecember 27, 2023 4834 Minutes read0

Israel’s army chief warned its war with Hamas will last “many more months” as the military stepped up strikes inside the Gaza Strip, where more than 20,000 people have already been reported killed.

Concerns over a spiralling humanitarian crisis inside the besieged territory have amplified calls for an end to the hostilities, while incidents linked to Iran-backed groups acting in solidarity with Hamas have fanned fears of a wider regional conflict.

Yesterday, the United States reported shooting down a barrage of drones and missiles over the Red Sea fired by Yemen’s Huthi rebels, reports AFP.

But Israel’s leaders have repeatedly vowed to keep up their offensive until Hamas is destroyed, and army chief Herzi Halevi signalled there would be no quick end to the war.

“This war’s objectives are essential and not simple to achieve,” Halevi said last night.

“Therefore, the war will continue for many more months.”

The war erupted when Hamas gunmen attacked Israel on October 7 and killed about 1,140 people, mostly civilians, according to the tally based on Israeli figures.

During the attack — the deadliest in Israel’s history — Hamas also took around 250 hostages, of whom 129 remain inside Gaza, Israel says.

Israel retaliated with a relentless bombardment and a siege followed by a ground invasion. The campaign has killed at least 20,915 people, mostly women and children, according to the latest toll issued by Gaza’s Hamas-run health ministry.

– ‘I’ve borrowed everything’ –Since the siege went into effect, Gaza’s 2.4 million people have been suffering severe shortages of water, food, fuel and medicine, with only limited aid entering the territory. An estimated 1.9 million Gazans have been displaced, according to the UN.

In the southern city of Rafah, where many displaced people have sought refuge, hundreds turned up at the Abdul Salam Yassin water company on Tuesday carrying baskets, pulling handcarts and even pushing a wheelchair stacked with bottles to queue for clean water.

“This was my father’s cart,” said Rafah resident Amir al-Zahhar. “He was martyred during the war. He used it to transport and sell fish, and now we are using it to transport fresh water.”

Elsewhere in the city, people split logs and stacked kindling as the lack of fuel forced them to burn wood for cooking and to keep warm.

One woman took advantage of the sunshine on Tuesday to wash her family’s clothes by hand, telling AFP: “I’ve pleaded with people for water. I have absolutely nothing. I’ve borrowed everything, even the blankets, from others.”

The UN Security Council, in a resolution last week, called for the “safe and unhindered delivery of humanitarian assistance at scale.”.

It requested the appointment of a UN humanitarian coordinator to oversee and verify third-country aid to Gaza, and on Tuesday, Sigrid Kaag, the outgoing Dutch finance minister, was named to the post.

The resolution, which did not call for an immediate end to the fighting, effectively leaves Israel with operational oversight of aid deliveries.

– ‘Gravely concerned’ –

Israeli army spokesman Daniel Hagari said yesterday that troops were “fighting in the southern Gaza Strip in the area of Khan Yunis, and we have expanded the combat to the area known as the central camps”.

Three more Israeli soldiers were killed in Gaza on Tuesday, bringing the total to 161 since its ground invasion began on October 27, the military said.

The UN Human Rights Office said it was “gravely concerned about the continued bombardment of Middle Gaza by Israeli forces”, particularly after the military ordered residents to move to the central and southern regions.

France, a staunch Israeli ally, also said it was concerned by Israel’s vow to intensify and prolong the fighting.

Violence has also flared across the occupied West Bank since the war began.

An Israeli operation in a refugee camp in the north of the West Bank left six people dead early Wednesday, according to the Palestinian ministry of health.

More than 300 Palestinians in the West Bank have been killed by Israeli forces and settlers since the war erupted, according to the ministry.

– Regional sparks –

The impacts of the war have also reverberated throughout the region, with armed groups backed by Israel’s arch-foe Iran escalating activity.

US military forces shot down more than a dozen attack drones and several missiles fired by Yemen’s Iran-backed Huthi rebels at shipping in the Red Sea, the Pentagon said, reporting no damage or injuries.

The Huthis had claimed a missile strike on a vessel in the Red Sea and a drone attack towards Israel, their latest such actions in solidarity with Gaza.

Israel’s military said one of its fighter jets had intercepted “in the Red Sea area a hostile aerial target that was on its way to Israeli territory”.

Egyptian broadcaster Al-Qahera News reported that a flying object was struck about two kilometres (1.2 miles) from the seaside town of Dahab. The town lies around 125 kilometres south of Eilat on the southern tip of Israel, the closest target for Yemen’s rebels.

In Iraq, the US military launched strikes on pro-Iran groups it has blamed for numerous attacks on US and allied forces during the Israel-Hamas war.

The strike claimed at least one life, Iraqi authorities said.

An anti-tank missile fired by Lebanon’s Iran-backed Hezbollah movement wounded nine soldiers, Israel’s military said, while Hezbollah announced the death of two of its fighters.

The incidents come after an Israeli strike in Syria on Monday killed Razi Moussavi, a senior commander in the Quds Force — the foreign arm of Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC).

Tags
ArmyChiefHamasIsraelLASTmonthswar
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post Plateau killings: It’s unheard of even in animal kingdom – Northern CAN
next post 120 kilos of cocaine wash up on Australian beaches
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
International

US to screen for Ebola at airports

May 19, 20260
International

Bodies of 4 missing Italian divers found in undersea cave

May 19, 20260
International

Russian drone hit Chinese cargo ship overnight in Black Sea

May 18, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Crime

Court sustains arrest warrant against former minister Sadiya Farouq

May 19, 20260
Politics

BREAKING: Peter Obi emerges sole presidential aspirant of NDC

May 19, 20260
Business & Economy

Dangote refinery reduces jet fuel price

May 19, 20260
Headlines

Nigeria bleeds as politics takes centre stage

May 19, 20260
Africa

FG deploys troops to Benin Republic in regional anti-terror push

May 19, 20260
Politics

Killing of school teacher by terrorists reflection of worsening insecurity under Tinubu – PDP

May 19, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Court sustains arrest warrant against former minister Sadiya Farouq

May 19, 2026

BREAKING: Peter Obi emerges sole presidential aspirant of NDC

May 19, 2026

Dangote refinery reduces jet fuel price

May 19, 2026

Nigeria bleeds as politics takes centre stage

May 19, 2026

FG deploys troops to Benin Republic in regional anti-terror push

May 19, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

Court sustains arrest warrant against former minister Sadiya Farouq

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Again, Trump fined $10,000 for violating gag order

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Labour unions demand reversal of privatisation in power, other sectors

October 31, 2025
3

Nigerian Railway Corporation engages veteran musician Daddy Showkey to entertain passengers

February 20, 2025
4

Niger Delta youths to Tinubu: We’ll no longer tolerate mismanagement in NDDC

July 10, 2024
5

Labour Party rejects Nasarawa LG election results, alleges irregularities

November 8, 2024
6

Simons showdown: Why Chelsea are pushing £60 million for Xavi Simons

July 28, 2025
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Guber poll: Kogi LGA chairman nabbed with ammunition, cash

November 11, 2023
3

Regardless of our status, we must respect our Armed Forces – Former Senate President Lawan

November 13, 2025
4

Iranian official says US must forgo more strikes for new talks

June 30, 2025
5

BREAKING: Iran accuses Israel of continued strikes despite ceasefire announcement

June 24, 2025
6

Lagos Assembly crisis: Advisory Council members divided over Obasa’s impeachment

January 27, 2025

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

King Charles to open Canada parliament

May 26, 2025

Aso Villa meeting: No deal on new national minimum wage, to continue next week

July 11, 2024

Nigeria’s democracy not working, says retired don Prof Afejuku

June 13, 2025

BREAKING: Abuja to witness 7-hour blackout – Electricity transmission company

February 21, 2025
Top posts

Categories

  • News4545
  • Politics4076
  • Crime3890
  • International2737
  • Sports2258
  • Business & Economy2114
  • Headlines2074
  • Education1253
  • Matilda Showbiz892
  • Health799
  • Entertainment734
  • Africa461
  • Religion449
  • Environment319
  • Special262
  • Arts & Culture227
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Info Tech220
  • Interview176
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today172
  • Opinion145
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade117
  • Advert30
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Trends16
  • Local News4

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact