Skip to content
Sunday 23 August 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
Crime
Crime

Alleged cybercrime: Activist Sowore to remain in Kuje Prison, court fixes date for ruling on bench warrant

The FrontierThe FrontierJune 24, 2026 573 Minutes read0

•Omoyele Sowore

Justice Mohammed Umar of the Federal High Court, Abuja, fixed June 30 for ruling on a motion filed by Omoyele Sowore, the presidential candidate of the African Action Congress (AAC), seeking to vacate an order for his bail revocation.

Justice Umar fixed the date after Sowore’s lawyer, Raphael Adakole, moved the motion for a stay of execution of the order, which was challenged by counsel to the Department of State Services (DSS), Akinkolu Kehinde (SAN), reports Channels TV.

Earlier, when the case was called, Adakole informed the court that the matter was scheduled for the hearing of their application.

He said the motion on notice dated June 17 was filed June 19 pursuant to Sections 35(4), 36(1), and 66(a&b) of the 1999 Constitution (as amended), including Sections 169 & 352 of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act (ACJA), 2015, and the inherent jurisdiction of the court.

He prayed the court for an order setting aside the order made on June 16, revoking the bail and issuing a bench warrant against the defendant due to his non-appearance in court on the said date, and restoring the status quo before that date.

According to him, the application was accompanied by a 25-paragraph affidavit deposed to by Emmanuel Larry.

He urged the court to grant all the prayers in the application in the interest of Justice.

Upon receipt of a counter-affidavit by the prosecution, Adakole said the defence filed another affidavit on 24 June. The lawyer further urged the court to discountenance the counter-affidavit filed by the prosecution.

Responding, Kehinde vehemently opposed the application.

In response, the DSS filed a 25-paragraph counter-affidavit, which they shall be relying on in urging the court not to grant the defence application. The senior lawyer said the prosecution also filed a written address in support of the counter-affidavit, urging the court to refuse the defendant’s application.

He argued that Sowore had not placed truthful facts before the court that were capable of swaying the court to exercise its discretion in his favour.

After listening to parties, Justice Umar adjourned the matter until June 30 for ruling. Shortly after adjournment, Adakole, who prayed the court to release Sowore to him, undertook to produce him on the next adjourned date.

Kehinde equally opposed Adakole’s request. He argued that such an application cannot be made orally.

But Adakole told the court that he was only holding a brief for a senior advocate, Adeyinka Olumide-Fusika, “of impeccable character whose words should mean something to the court”.

The judge then asked whether, if Sowore were released to the counsel, won’t it mean that he had already ruled on the application.

He, therefore, said he was more inclined to leave the matter as adjourned.

Justice Umar had, on Monday, June 22, ordered the remand of Sowore, also the publisher of Sahara Reporters, in Kuje Correctional Centre.

The judge, in a short ruling, ordered Sowore to be kept in the correctional centre pending the hearing and determination of his motion for a stay of the order for revocation of his bail and bench warrant filed by Olumide-Fusika.

The judge equally dismissed Sowore’s earlier application seeking the judge’s recusal from the case on the ground of alleged bias.

The judge then adjourned the matter until June 24 for the hearing of the application for stay.

Justice Umar had, on June 16, revoked a bail granted to Sowore following his failure to appear in court for his trial.

Justice Mohammed Umar, in a ruling on an oral application made by the lawyer to DSS, also issued a bench warrant for his arrest.

The DSS is prosecuting Sowore for allegedly making false claims against the person of President Bola Tinubu by referring to him as “a criminal” in a post he made on his “X” and Facebook accounts

 

Tags
activist SoworeAlleged cybercrimebench warrantCourtKuje Prison
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post Terrorism: Court passes death sentence on three, including foreigner
next post Paris Fashion Week: Nigerian singers Wizkid, Asake spotted at Louis Vuitton Show in France
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
Crime

Kidnapped Borno schoolchildren: Families cry out to Tinubu after 100 days in captivity

August 22, 20260
Crime

Another fake govt agency uncovered, Tinubu orders arrest, suspension of three permanent secretaries

August 22, 20260
Crime

JUST IN: Maternity Home sealed, three arrested over alleged ₦13.5 million newborn baby sale

August 20, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Headlines

JUST IN: ‘Fake agency’ boss fights back with appointment letter by FG

August 23, 20260
Health

Why Nigerians should stop cutting vegetables in markets — Nutritionists

August 23, 20260
Sports

La Liga: Mourinho begins Real Madrid reign with last-minute win

August 23, 20260
News

Travellers stranded as traffic jam returns to Abuja-Kaduna highway

August 23, 20260
Politics

Tinubu Campaign Council a rehab centre for corruption suspects, says ADC

August 23, 20260
Business & Economy

Tinubu’s N15.8 trillion reform gains yet to reach Nigerians — Analysts insist

August 23, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

JUST IN: ‘Fake agency’ boss fights back with appointment letter by FG

August 23, 2026

Why Nigerians should stop cutting vegetables in markets — Nutritionists

August 23, 2026

La Liga: Mourinho begins Real Madrid reign with last-minute win

August 23, 2026

Travellers stranded as traffic jam returns to Abuja-Kaduna highway

August 23, 2026

Tinubu Campaign Council a rehab centre for corruption suspects, says ADC

August 23, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

JUST IN: ‘Fake agency’ boss fights back with appointment letter by FG

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

US completes first sale of Venezuelan oil

January 15, 2026
3

Concerns as 43 die of food poisoning in 2 weeks

August 21, 2024
4

Reps reject bill seeking president to secure over 50% votes in presidential poll

February 28, 2024
5

Edo governorship election: INEC releases final list of candidates

April 22, 2024
6

Our pilot never tested positive for alcohol use – Air Peace counters Bureau report

September 12, 2025
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

One dead, five injured as explosion rocks Onitsha

May 17, 2025
3

JUST IN: Supreme Court throws out Tonye Cole’s appeal, affirms Fubara as Rivers governor

January 25, 2024
4

Strike looms in varsities over delay in payment of February salaries by FG

March 21, 2026
5

Alarm as cartels target teenage girls for organ harvesting

February 5, 2025
6

Boko Haram will be child’s play if population is not tackled by 2050 — Former President Obasanjo warns

October 1, 2025

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

JAMB releases names of 2025 UTME top scorers •FULL LIST

July 8, 2025

JUST IN: Salah crowned Premier League player of the season

May 24, 2025

Ortom, Anyanwu absent as PDP disciplinary committee begins hearing

February 12, 2025

2027 elections: ADC, PDP close ranks

April 9, 2026
Top posts

Categories

  • News4929
  • Politics4593
  • Crime4411
  • International3044
  • Sports2462
  • Business & Economy2274
  • Headlines2224
  • Education1369
  • Matilda Showbiz991
  • Health879
  • Entertainment813
  • Africa578
  • Religion483
  • Environment367
  • Special277
  • Info Tech245
  • Arts & Culture240
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today204
  • Interview186
  • Opinion153
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade130
  • World Cup 202695
  • Advert34
  • Trends23
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Local News5

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact