Skip to content
Tuesday 19 May 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
Crime
Crime

Alleged N8.7 billion fraud: How funds were moved to firms linked with former justice minister Malami – Witnesses

The FrontierThe FrontierMarch 17, 2026 713 Minutes read0

•Abubakar Malami

A Federal High Court in Abuja heard yesterday how funds were moved into the accounts of some companies linked with a former Attorney General of the Federation (AGF), Abubakar Malami, his wife, Hajia Bashir Asabe, and his son, Abdulaziz.

Two prosecution witnesses, who are bank officials, gave details of how the funds were paid into the bank accounts of Meethaq Hotels Limited, Rayhaan Bustan, Agro Allied Limited and Khadimiya for Justice and Development Initiative (KJDI).

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) is prosecuting Malami, Asabe, and Abdulaziz on a 16-count money laundering charge involving N8.7 billion, reports The Nation.

Led in evidence by the prosecuting lawyer, Jubrin Okutepa (SAN), the first witness, who is also a Compliance Officer with Union Bank, Simon Kwayil, said his bank got a letter from the EFCC last December requesting the documents on Meethaq Hotels’ account, including the account opening package, statement of account and certificate of compliance in connection with account number 0179011105 belonging to Meethaq Hotels Limited.

Kwayil, who was the prosecution’s second witness (PW2), said Union Bank forwarded the documents to the EFCC on December 23, last year.

The witness identified the documents, which were tendered in evidence by Okutepa. The court admitted the documents in evidence after the defence lawyer, Joseph Daudu (SAN), announced that he reserved his objection till the final address stage.

Kwayil also said the sole signatory to the account is the second defendant (Hajia Asabe), based on the resolution of the Board of Meethaq Hotels Limited.

The witness said between February 2, 2024 and April 3, 2024, there were instant transfers in the region of N48 million from the Meethaq Hotels’ account in favour of Abubakar Malami and A. A. Malami and Co.

He said the Meethaq Hotels Limited’s statement of account showed millions of naira as inflows and outflows.

He added that between December 5, 2022 and April 14, 2023, Meethaq Hotels received over N99 million as inflows into its account.

When Daudu cross-examined him, Kwayil said no money was transferred into Meethaq Hotels’ account from any government agency.

The PW2 added that he did not know the purpose for which the transactions in the account were made.

The second witness for the day was Olomotane Egoro, a Compliance Officer with Access Bank. He also told the court how the EFCC requested documents on two companies – Agro Allied Limited and KJDI.

Egoro, who was the prosecution’s third witness (PW3), said: “We sent the documents as requested by the EFCC and attached cover letters.

“For the Agro Allied Limited, the cover letter was dated March 9, 2026, while that of Khadimiya for Justice Initiatives was dated February 5, 2026.”

Daudu objected to the admissibility of the two letters, arguing that the witness was not subpoenaed and did not make an extrajudicial statement to the EFCC.

The trial judge, Justice Joyce Abdulmalik, overruled him on the grounds that the prosecution had clearly stated in its list of witnesses that a representative of Access Bank would be invited to give evidence.

Both letters were subsequently admitted in evidence and marked as exhibits C1 and C2

Egoro said in Exhibit C1, which relates to bank documents of Agro Allied Limited’s account, the sole signatory to the account was Abdulaziz (the third defendant).

The witness said Agro Allied Limited took a loan of N400 million from the bank, which was paid into its account on October 9, 2020.

He stated that the N400 million loan was fully paid on July 14, 2022.

Egoro added that the N400 million loan was disbursed to New Horizon Limited on October 1, 2020, the sum of N100 million was sent into New Horizon Limited in five transactions of N20 million each, while on October 9, 2020, the sum of N100 million was sent into the account of Rayhaan Bustan.

Commenting on exhibit C2, which contains bank documents of account number 0828310158, belonging to KJDI, the witness named the signatories to the account as Abdul-aziz Malami; Usman Abubakar and Farouk Abubakar.

Egoro said the total inflows into the account, beginning from October 17, 2019 to March 3, 2020 was N77.986 million, while the total lodgement into the account between March 26, 2020, and January 1, 2025, was N1.857 billion.

Under cross-examination, Egoro said he did not know the purposes and objectives of the payments.

He added: “I did not know the people who made payments, but no inflows into the account from any government agency.”

Justice Abdulmalik adjourned till April 20 for the continuation of the trial.

 

Tags
Alleged N8.7 billion fraudfirmsFormer justice minister Malamifundswitnesses
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post Multiple bomb explosions: Governor Zulum calls for vigilance at worship places •VIDEO
next post Suspended police officer Abba Kyari: Court plays video how NDLEA helped cocaine smugglers pass airports
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
Crime

Court sustains arrest warrant against former minister Sadiya Farouq

May 19, 20260
Crime

DSS picks up former Governor El-Rufai after court grants bail; family kicks

May 18, 20260
Crime

Oyo school attack: Christian Association of Nigeria urges FG, states to tackle situation with forceful action

May 18, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Crime

Court sustains arrest warrant against former minister Sadiya Farouq

May 19, 20260
Politics

BREAKING: Peter Obi emerges sole presidential aspirant of NDC

May 19, 20260
Business & Economy

Dangote refinery reduces jet fuel price

May 19, 20260
Headlines

Nigeria bleeds as politics takes centre stage

May 19, 20260
Africa

FG deploys troops to Benin Republic in regional anti-terror push

May 19, 20260
Politics

Killing of school teacher by terrorists reflection of worsening insecurity under Tinubu – PDP

May 19, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Court sustains arrest warrant against former minister Sadiya Farouq

May 19, 2026

BREAKING: Peter Obi emerges sole presidential aspirant of NDC

May 19, 2026

Dangote refinery reduces jet fuel price

May 19, 2026

Nigeria bleeds as politics takes centre stage

May 19, 2026

FG deploys troops to Benin Republic in regional anti-terror push

May 19, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

Court sustains arrest warrant against former minister Sadiya Farouq

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Again, Trump fined $10,000 for violating gag order

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

I’m not prepared to downsize my cabinet — Tinubu

December 24, 2024
3

Judge threatens Trump with jail over gag order violations

May 1, 2024
4

Enugu-Opi-Nsukka road still not safe — Motorists

July 6, 2024
5

REVEALED: How 26-year-old lady survivor played dead to evade being killed by Jos attackers

April 4, 2026
6

Nurses not qualified to administer fertility treatment – Health expert

October 27, 2024
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Morocco’s king accepts invitation to join Trump Peace Board

January 20, 2026
3

State of the nation: Tinubu in closed-door meeting with service chiefs in Aso Rock

March 18, 2025
4

Dangote Refinery drags FG to court over fuel import licences

May 16, 2026
5

Court orders Army, bank to pay officer N400 million over wrongful conviction

November 28, 2024
6

How suspected robber raped my wife, threatened my family – Witness

March 20, 2025

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

JUST IN: 2 escape death as bus rams into truck in Lagos

August 6, 2024

Akwa Ibom flies half mast flags in honour of late First Lady

September 27, 2024

Evacuation: Lagos taskforce threatened to kill us in Osun forest – Victims allege

May 7, 2024

CRACKDOWN: Donald Trump places travel ban on 43 countries •FULL LIST

March 15, 2025
Top posts

Categories

  • News4545
  • Politics4076
  • Crime3890
  • International2737
  • Sports2258
  • Business & Economy2114
  • Headlines2074
  • Education1253
  • Matilda Showbiz892
  • Health799
  • Entertainment734
  • Africa461
  • Religion449
  • Environment319
  • Special262
  • Arts & Culture227
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Info Tech220
  • Interview176
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today172
  • Opinion145
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade117
  • Advert30
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Trends16
  • Local News4

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact