Skip to content
Saturday 22 August 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
Africa
Africa

Another batch of Nigerians to be evacuated from South Africa next week – Association

The FrontierThe FrontierAugust 22, 2026 112 Minutes read0

•Returnees from South Africa

A fresh batch of Nigerians seeking evacuation from South Africa is currently undergoing the final stage of processing, with their flight tickets being arranged.

No fewer than 60 returnees are expected to be on board the privately sponsored evacuation, which has been scheduled for next week, reports The Nation.

According to the President of the Nigerian Citizens Association South Africa, Rev. Frank Onyekwelu, more than 200 Nigerians were still awaiting evacuation after the federal government concluded its own exercise.

The last and fifth federal government-sponsored evacuation flight from South Africa, operated by Air Peace with 315 returnees on board, arrived in Nigeria on July 15, 2026.

The latest batch of 83 evacuees brought the total number of Nigerians repatriated from South Africa under the voluntary repatriation programme to 1,573.

This is the third privately sponsored evacuation since some Nigerians were forced to leave South Africa following a series of xenophobic attacks and recent protests by a group, March and March, calling on the South African government to deport all foreign nationals, especially Africans.

Onyekwelu said the 83 Nigerians who returned in the latest batch were among the over 200 people who had registered for evacuation. History

He said: “We still have over 200 names even after the FG closed its own evacuation. Their tickets are also being processed already.”

He further disclosed that another batch had been scheduled for next week.

Confirming the development on her X handle, the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Amb. Bianca Odumegwu-Ojukwu, said the same group that facilitated the latest evacuation had also committed to sponsoring another batch.

Odumegwu-Ojukwu said: “On behalf of the Federal Government of Nigeria, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs commends this group of individuals for complementing Government’s efforts and for their “whole of society approach” to addressing this crisis.

“This same group has also committed to evacuating a second batch of our Nationals who no longer feel safe in South Africa and have expressed a wish to return to Nigeria.”

Meanwhile, the minister had on Wednesday appealed to state governors to support returnees in the relocation and resettlement process.

She said the latest batch of returnees came from Anambra, Ondo, Imo, Oyo, Enugu, Ogun, Abia, Osun, Delta, Kwara and Ekiti states.

Odumegwu-Ojukwu made the appeal, saying states must assist in “cushioning the difficult process of relocation and resettlement of their returning indigenes” under President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s Citizen Diplomacy agenda.

Commending Imo, Abia and Enugu states for their intervention so far, the minister said, “We, therefore, call on State Governments to complement the federal government’s efforts towards ensuring that no citizen at risk abroad is abandoned to an uncertain fate.”

She added: “We thank the state government of Imo which has commenced the disbursement of one million Naira each to returning indigenes, Abia, which has approved the immediate disbursement of N1 million each to 31 verified South Africa returnees of Abia State extraction as well as Enugu State government for its commitment towards assisting in the evacuation of stranded indigenes.

“We urge other state governments to follow suit and complement the federal government’s emergency efforts by coming to the aid of their stranded indigenes and returnees in this time of need.”

The ministry also appreciated “other well-meaning Nigerian individuals and groups, home and abroad for their support and efforts in responding to and assisting Nigerian Nationals facing consular challenges and emergencies overseas.”

Tags
associationNigeriansSouth Africa
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post REVEALED: Enugu Air runway incident linked to auto brake failure — Investigation Bureau
next post IPOB condemns Britain’s ‘selective outrage’ over Israel, Nnamdi Kanu
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
Africa

Zambia police summon opposition leader after disputed vote

August 21, 20260
Africa

Ebola outbreak in DR Congo growing exponentially, 2,500 deaths recorded — UN

August 21, 20260
Africa

Cameroon President Paul Biya returns after 73 days away

August 21, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Health

The meat we eat and the years we lose: How Nigeria’s abattoirs quietly erode our life expectancy, By Dr. Gani Enahoro

August 22, 20260
International

One dead as plane hits car

August 22, 20260
Politics

EXPOSED: How APC, Accord Party splashed N100 billion on Osun election

August 22, 20260
Sports

Prolific Osimhen scores back-to-back braces

August 22, 20260
International

BREAKING: US court permits FBI to review Tinubu drug case files in private

August 22, 20260
News

IPOB condemns Britain’s ‘selective outrage’ over Israel, Nnamdi Kanu

August 22, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

The meat we eat and the years we lose: How Nigeria’s abattoirs quietly erode our life expectancy, By Dr. Gani Enahoro

August 22, 2026

One dead as plane hits car

August 22, 2026

EXPOSED: How APC, Accord Party splashed N100 billion on Osun election

August 22, 2026

Prolific Osimhen scores back-to-back braces

August 22, 2026

BREAKING: US court permits FBI to review Tinubu drug case files in private

August 22, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

The meat we eat and the years we lose: How Nigeria’s abattoirs quietly erode our life expectancy, By Dr. Gani Enahoro

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Prof, 2 firms docked for certificate racketeering, money laundering

November 27, 2024
3

FG denies ordering NNPCL to increase fuel price

September 3, 2024
4

BREAKING: End of war as Israel announces ceasefire, thousands of Gazans begin heading north

October 10, 2025
5

Court halts arrest of APC Ward officers behind Ganduje’s suspension

May 3, 2024
6

We’ve recovered Enugu govt’s N1.2 billion from Lagos-based construction firm, Sujimoto – EFCC

January 22, 2026
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Edo 2024: Fear of violence heightens, 11 days to go

September 10, 2024
3

Top obas at war over leadership of traditional rulers council

May 20, 2025
4

27 things to know about late Ondo governor Akeredolu •How he died

December 27, 2023
5

Tariff hike: Airtel raises data, call rates

February 18, 2025
6

How Nigeran Afrobeats superstars are redefining global music scene •Their lifestyles, money, cars, jets

September 6, 2025

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Arsenal vs Wolves: Preview, team news, head-to-head

August 17, 2024

China to further relax visa policies for migrants

October 22, 2024

Hardship: Nigerians in urban areas now embrace firewood, charcoal for cooking

December 2, 2024

BREAKING: Many feared dead, 4 rescued as building collapses in Lagos

September 13, 2025
Top posts

Categories

  • News4927
  • Politics4589
  • Crime4410
  • International3042
  • Sports2459
  • Business & Economy2272
  • Headlines2221
  • Education1369
  • Matilda Showbiz983
  • Health878
  • Entertainment812
  • Africa577
  • Religion483
  • Environment364
  • Special277
  • Info Tech245
  • Arts & Culture240
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today204
  • Interview186
  • Opinion153
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade130
  • World Cup 202695
  • Advert34
  • Trends23
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Local News5

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact