Skip to content
Wednesday 20 May 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
Headlines
Headlines

Army sacks female soldier who accused superior officer of sexual harassment

The FrontierThe FrontierSeptember 24, 2024 6364 Minutes read0

•Ruth Ogunleye

Authorities of the Nigerian Army, today announced that it has discharged a female soldier, Private Ruth Ogunleye, who accused a senior officer, Colonel I.B Abdulkareem, of sexual harassment.

Army specifically said the female soldier was eased out of the service on medical ground after the conclusion of its probe, adding that by discharging her, she’s entitled to pension and all other benefits for life, reports Daily Trust.

Recall that Ruth Ogunleye had in January this year on her TikTok page via @Ogunleyeruthsavage1 accused Col. IB Abdulkareem, Col. G.S Ogor, and Brig. Gen. I.B Solebo, of making her life unbearable.

She particularly said Abdulkareem made repeated attempts to assault her, administered injections against her will, forcibly removed her from her residence, and confined her in a psychiatric hospital for several months for turning down his sexual advances.

Following the allegations, the ministry of Women Affairs waded into the matter and the Chief of Army Staff, Lt.-Gen. Tarooed Lagbaja, subsequently ordered a thorough investigation.

Giving an update about the matter at Army headquarters, the spokesman of the land forces, Onyema Nwachukwu, explained that the senior officer did not commit the offence levelled against him by Ogunleye.

Nwachukwu, a Major-General, stressed that the conclusion was arrived at after an exhaustive review of the facts, testimonies and evidence presented during the investigations carried out.

“Upon receipt of her initial complaint, which included allegations of sexual harassment, the Nigerian Army took immediate action. The matter was referred to the Nigerian Army Corps of Military Police, tasked with conducting a thorough investigation into the veracity of her claims.

“The investigation was conducted in line with established protocols, with every effort made to ensure a fair and impartial process. It is crucial to assert that the Nigerian Army, in its bid to ensure justice and transparency, conducted an exhaustive review of the facts, testimonies and evidence presented.

“The investigation concluded that Colonel IB Abdulkareem did not commit the offence of sexual harassment as alleged by Ex-Private Ruth Ogunleye. The findings were definitive and based on an objective evaluation of the available information,” the senior military officer said.

The army spokesman said Ogunleye had been recommended for discharge on medical grounds since 2022, but the Nigerian Army, being sympathetic to giving her the best medical treatment possible, stabilised her before discharging her into the wider society.

He added, “Hence, while the Army was addressing the allegations of sexual harassment, further concerns about Ruth Ogunleye’s conduct came to light. Her behaviour, both online and offline, raised questions about her worsening mental health and emotional stability.”

Onyema stated that medical reports after an evaluation at the National Hospital in Abuja showed that Ogunleye was suffering from a condition that made her medically vulnerable.

He said, “Consequently, the Nigerian Army referred Ex-Pte Ruth Ogunleye for medical evaluation at the National Hospital in Abuja, following earlier assessments made by the Nigerian Army Medical Corps that suggested potential mental health concerns.

“This decision was taken to safeguard her well-being and to ensure that any action taken by the Nigerian Army was informed by a comprehensive understanding of her condition as advised by trained professionals.

“The medical evaluation confirmed that Ruth Ogunleye was suffering from a condition that made her medically vulnerable.”

Nwachukwu also noted that based on her medical condition, the service has shelved its decision to take disciplinary actions against Ogunleye, adding that she was instead boarded and discharged from service.

The army spokesman said, “In light of this, the Army, while fully capable of proceeding with disciplinary action for her acts of indiscipline and misconduct, opted to exercise compassion and leniency.

“Based on the medical report from the National Hospital and the advice of the Nigerian Army Medical Corps, the decision was made to shelve any disciplinary procedures that could have been brought against her.

“Instead, the Army prioritised her health, understanding that she was in no position to continue with military service. She was subsequently boarded and discharged from service.”

Onyema further said Ogunleye, though not entitled to a pension, was discharged with a 50 per cent monthly pension for life, among other benefits.

He said, “Further to this, though Ex-private Ruth did not serve up to pensionable years of service (10 years), she has nonetheless been discharged from the Nigerian Army with a 50 per cent disability claim, meaning she will receive a 50 per cent monthly pension for life.

“She has also been paid her Terminal Leave Allowance and Terminal Packing Allowance, as well as her contributions to the Nigerian Army Welfare Insurance Scheme and Benevolent Fund.

“The payments were made on 14 August 2024 into her FCMB account. Her Security Debarment Allowance for the period she served (5 years 54 days) has also been paid. The decision for her discharge was reached following her rejection of an offer of medical treatment either from the National Hospital or the Nigerian Army.”

 

Tags
Armyfemale soldiersackssexual harassmentsuperior officer
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post Matawalle to Governor Lawal: Swear with Quran you know nothing about banditry
next post Stop questioning Edo election results – APC warns Yiaga Africa
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
Headlines

My love for Nigeria is beyond question, says former Military Head of State, Yakubu Gowon

May 19, 20260
Headlines

REVEALED: People told Tinubu I planned to kill him – Vice President Shettima opens up at last

May 19, 20260
Headlines

Nigeria bleeds as politics takes centre stage

May 19, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Politics

2027 elections: Former President Jonathan gets PDP waiver, emerges sole presidential candidate

May 20, 20260
News

7 feared killed as LG chairman survives road accident

May 20, 20260
Politics

APC primaries: Governorship aspirants shun consensus deal in 10 states •FULL LIST

May 20, 20260
Politics

APC primaries: More aspirants reject results, take complaints to Abuja

May 20, 20260
Health

RED ALERT: Aviation authority orders tighten health surveillance at Nigerian airports over Ebola outbreak

May 20, 20260
Politics

We must fight war against poverty to fulfill Chapter II of Constitution — Afenifere chieftain

May 20, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

2027 elections: Former President Jonathan gets PDP waiver, emerges sole presidential candidate

May 20, 2026

7 feared killed as LG chairman survives road accident

May 20, 2026

APC primaries: Governorship aspirants shun consensus deal in 10 states •FULL LIST

May 20, 2026

APC primaries: More aspirants reject results, take complaints to Abuja

May 20, 2026

RED ALERT: Aviation authority orders tighten health surveillance at Nigerian airports over Ebola outbreak

May 20, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

2027 elections: Former President Jonathan gets PDP waiver, emerges sole presidential candidate

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Again, Trump fined $10,000 for violating gag order

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

You can’t ask Nigerians to fast while feasting – Peter Obi blasts Tinubu

September 11, 2024
3

Father accused of murdering children in home fire

July 11, 2024
4

Northern elders’ influence in fielding candidates undermining democracy – Former Governor Kwankwaso

January 5, 2025
5

Peter Obi, Bode George, Middle Belt Forum, tackle Tinubu over insecurity •Kidnapping, banditry worsened since May 2023

January 23, 2024
6

30 dead, 50 cows burnt as tanker explodes

September 8, 2024
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Nabeeha: Police arrest deadly kidnapper, destroy bandits camp in Kaduna

January 28, 2024
3

Ekiti PDP congress: Ex-acting gov, senatorial candidate, others jostle for chairmanship

July 8, 2024
4

Many feared dead as commercial bus plunges into Ovia River in Edo

September 13, 2024
5

BREAKING: Anyanwu resumes as PDP National Secretary amid crisis

January 13, 2025
6

Congo shatter Nigeria’s 2026 World Cup dream

November 17, 2025

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

APC protesters storm DSS headquarters, demand probe of defence minister Matawalle over alleged ties with bandits

November 12, 2024

Security beefed up in FCT, states ahead Christmas

December 24, 2024

Senegal halts extraditions to France over refusal to return two citizens

December 12, 2025

Father accused of murdering children in home fire

July 11, 2024
Top posts

Categories

  • News4547
  • Politics4086
  • Crime3895
  • International2740
  • Sports2263
  • Business & Economy2116
  • Headlines2076
  • Education1253
  • Matilda Showbiz892
  • Health800
  • Entertainment737
  • Africa463
  • Religion449
  • Environment320
  • Special262
  • Arts & Culture227
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Info Tech220
  • Interview176
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today172
  • Opinion145
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade117
  • Advert30
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Trends16
  • Local News4

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact