Skip to content
Thursday 21 May 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
Education
Education

Varsity admission age: 15-year-old student sues Education Ministry, JAMB, NUC

The FrontierThe FrontierOctober 14, 2024 5893 Minutes read0

Master Chinaemere Opara, has sued the Federal Ministry of Education, the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) and the National Universities Commission (NUC) over the introduction of the new admission policy.

Opara, a 15-year-old Senior Secondary School (SSS) Student, filed the suit through his guardian, Mr Maxwell Opara, his father and a lawyer, at the Federal High Court in Abuja today, reports NAN.

In the originating motion marked: FHC/ABJ/CS/1512/2024 dated Sept. 30 and filed Oct. 14 by Wayne Elijah, the SS 2 student listed the ministry, JAMB and NUC as 1st to 3rd respondents respectively.

In his six reliefs, the applicant sought a declaration that the respondents’ minimum age for admission policy to restrict the age of Nigerian citizens for admission into universities in the country is discriminatory and unconstitutional.

He said it amounted to a gross violation of his right to freedom of expression as guaranteed under Sections 42 of the 1999 Constitution, 2011 (as amended) and Articles 2, 3, 4, 5, 10, 13(2), 17 and 28 of the African Charter on Human and People Rights (Ratification and Enforcement) Act Cap A9 Vol. 1 LFN.

He urged the court to declare that his right to peaceful assembly and association cannot be limited by the respondents’ admission policy.

He also sought a declaration that the policy which restricts his age before exercising his right of association and self-determination as to when to enrol to write the West Africa Examination Council (WAEC) and/or JAMB exams infringed on his right of equal access to public service.

This, he said, is guaranteed under Article 13(2) and (3) of the African Charter on Human and People Rights (Ratification and Enforcement) Act Cap A9 Vol. 1 LFN.

Opara, therefore, sought an order of perpetual Injunction restraining the respondents, from attempting to disturb, breach or interfere with his rights.

He equally sought an order setting aside the policy.

In the affidavit deposed to by Maxwell, he said he is the biological father of Chinaemere.

He said Chinaemere is an SS2 student of Sure Start Secondary School who is directly affected by the respondents’ minimum age for admission policy.

He said the policy had impeded on Chinaemere’s right to freedom from age discrimination and education as enshrined in the law.

He said his son “read from the online newspaper that the 1s respondent stated that there’s no going back on the implementation of his policy which stated that any person below 16 years would not be qualified to get admission in the university no matter how brilliant the person is.

“That since then the applicant believes that his right to education has been or likely to be violated.

“That the applicant would enter SS 3 in this 2024/2025 academic session with his plan/arrangements of writing his WAEC, NECO AND JAMB in 2025 with his expectations of gaining admission in 2025/2026 university academic sessions.

“That I know as of facts that in Nigeria, there is no specific age limit for gaining admission into universities.

“However, candidates typically must have completed their secondary education and sit for WASSCE or its equivalent.

“That I know as of facts that in Nigeria most universities in Nigeria require candidates to meet certain academic qualifications, such as having a minimum number of credits in relevant subjects and passing the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME).

“That I know as of facts that in Nigeria there is no federal or state law making age a barrier for the applicant to gain admission.

“That the applicant strongly believes that he will perform excellently and make good grades in all the subjects that will be required for him to gain admission.

“That the applicant wants to study Medicine & Surgery whose duration is 6 years, along with a mandatory 1-year youth service and 1-year compulsory medical externship totalling all 8 years,” Mr Maxwell said.

The suit is yet to be assigned to a judge as of the time of filing the report.

The Minister of Education, Prof. Tahir Mamman, had in July stated that beginning from 2025, candidates under 18 years old would not be allowed to sit for the Senior Secondary Certificate Examination, a prerequisite for admission to higher institutions.

The announcement, however, sparked intense debate among education stakeholders and parents, forcing Mamman to accept 16 years as the admission age into tertiary institutions.

Tags
admissionEducation MinistryJAMBNUCstudentVarsity
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post JUST IN: Flood hits Benue after heavy downpour, residents displaced
next post BREAKING: Libyan Football Federation president resigns amid Super Eagles row
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
Education

Varsity lecturers condemn partial implementation of 2025 agreement

May 20, 20260
Education

NYSC to enforce new certificate requirement for Corps members from 2026 Batch B

May 18, 20260
Education

JUST IN: JAMB opens portal for change of institution, result printing jamb

May 15, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Crime

COUP TRIAL: Accused Army Colonel rejects military court

May 21, 20260
Crime

Daredevil gunmen kidnap Research Institute workers

May 21, 20260
News

INEC releases Supreme Court-ordered Warri delineation report

May 21, 20260
International

Nigerian, 8 other deportees from US arrive Sierra Leone

May 21, 20260
Politics

Lagos APC primaries: Aspirants petition Tinubu over alleged irregularities, seek review

May 21, 20260
Politics

39 aspirants to contest ADC primary in Edo

May 21, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

COUP TRIAL: Accused Army Colonel rejects military court

May 21, 2026

Daredevil gunmen kidnap Research Institute workers

May 21, 2026

INEC releases Supreme Court-ordered Warri delineation report

May 21, 2026

Nigerian, 8 other deportees from US arrive Sierra Leone

May 21, 2026

Lagos APC primaries: Aspirants petition Tinubu over alleged irregularities, seek review

May 21, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

COUP TRIAL: Accused Army Colonel rejects military court

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Again, Trump fined $10,000 for violating gag order

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

FG to close section of Third Mainland Bridge tonight

February 18, 2024
3

2 engineers in trouble for certifying uncompleted projects

January 20, 2025
4

Organisers disown Adegboruwa, say protests will continue till FG meets demands

August 3, 2024
5

FMC Abuja MD cries out over manpower shortage as 51 health workers resign •Reps panel vows to stop medical tourism, brain drain

November 10, 2023
6

Abuja youths decry marginalisation, demand inclusion in FCT governance

July 11, 2025
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Bayern’s Manuel Neuer gets first red card in 866-game career

December 4, 2024
3

JUST IN: Tinubu appoints new NIA, DSS directors-general

August 26, 2024
4

BREAKING: Dangote Refinery reduces petrol gantry price

March 27, 2026
5

West Ham manager, Lopetegui returns to Spain for father’s funeral

December 18, 2024
6

Nnamdi Kanu scraps IPOB’s 5-year Monday sit-at-home order in South East

February 9, 2026

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Boy killed, others injured in Lagos tragic shooting

September 12, 2024

That electricity go shock you – Nigerians knock Nollywood actor Yul Edochie over 22 hours power supply comment

December 7, 2024

Lagos LG election: APC leader, lawmaker express concern over low voter turnout

July 13, 2025

How dozens of civilian JTF members died defending communities in Borno, Yobe, Adamawa

April 30, 2025
Top posts

Categories

  • News4550
  • Politics4098
  • Crime3900
  • International2746
  • Sports2267
  • Business & Economy2119
  • Headlines2076
  • Education1254
  • Matilda Showbiz892
  • Health800
  • Entertainment739
  • Africa465
  • Religion449
  • Environment320
  • Special262
  • Arts & Culture227
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Info Tech220
  • Interview176
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today172
  • Opinion145
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade117
  • Advert30
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Trends16
  • Local News4

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact