Skip to content
Monday 18 May 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
News
News

Crashed helicopter debris yet to be found one week after

The FrontierThe FrontierOctober 31, 2024 2946 Minutes read0

A week after the crash of Eastwind Aviation’s Sikorsky SK76 heli­copter in the Atlantic Ocean in Port Harcourt, the de­bris and the black boxes are yet to be found.

Joint efforts by the military and the Nigerian Safety Investi­gation Bureau (NSIB) to recover the debris and the remains of four out of eight persons onboard had remained futile, reports Daily Independent.

Without the location of the black boxes, the immediate and remote causes of the crash would be difficult for NSIB to establish.

The NSIB had on Sunday said it was working to deploy a Re­motely Operated Vehicle (ROV) to the site of the helicopter crash to recover the remaining bodies onboard of the aircraft.

According to the bureau, ROV is equipped to operate at depths of up to 1,000 metres, assuring that this would enable it to conduct detailed surveys, collect environ­mental data, and capture critical evidence essential to understand­ing the cause of the incident.

NSIB also said that its com­bined team of searchers was yet to locate critical components like the black box, Flight Data Record­er (FDR) or Cockpit Voice Record­er (CVR).

Eight persons had crashed into the Atlantic Ocean in Port Harcourt Thursday last week, fol­lowing the crash of the helicopter.

The helicopter, which had the six staff of the Nigerian Nation­al Petroleum Company Limited (NNPCL) onboard and two crew members of the airline, was en route from Port Harcourt Mili­tary Base (DNPM) to the NUIM­ANTAN oil rig before the unfor­tunate accident.

The accident occurred about 11:22a.m along the waterways in Port Harcourt. The aircraft ditched into the waters near Bon­ny Finima in the Atlantic Ocean.

Experts in the Nigerian avia­tion industry are equally divided about the failure of the govern­ment and its agencies to locate the black boxes and aircraft debris a week later, but they agreed that Nigeria was lacking in effective Search and Rescue (S&R) capac­ity.

While Capt. Samuel Caul­crick, the former Rector of the Ni­gerian College of Aviation Tech­nology (NCAT), Zaria, described the situation as an “embarrassing moment,” Capt. Ado Sanusi, the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), Aero Contractors, said the situ­ation was not new in the global aviation industry.

Speaking with our correspon­dent on phone on the issue, Caul­crick expressed concerns about the situation.

Caulcrick lamented that Nige­ria lacked the capacity for search and rescue, stressing that this was supposed to be a strong part of the aviation industry.

According to him, if the coun­try had the necessary capacity, it would have sent divers to the crashed area and be able to recov­er the debris, human remains and black boxes a week later.

He also canvassed for prop­er equipping of the NSIB as a multi-modal accident investiga­tor.

He said: “I am bothered about our inability to find the debris and black boxes of the crash. This is so because we don’t have a search and rescue unit. This is supposed to be a part of a strong unit in the aviation industry because we ought to have sent divers down in that area.

“It is the same area where we have the rigs. So, if the divers can get to the bottom of the rig, they should be able to dive down and locate the debris and the human remains. There must be a unit in case the crash happens with­in our shores that can cover the black boxes scene and others. This I think should be under NSIB.

“NSIB has to be equipped; when it was the Accident Inves­tigation Bureau (AIB), all they were doing was about aviation, but now that it is a multi-modal agency, they should be equipped more. This particular case is even in the aviation industry. We need to intensify and equip NSIB.”

He regretted that Nigeria has always been weak in the coastal area, but more involved in the Sahel region.

He recalled that when the C-120 aircraft crashed in 1992 in the Ejigbo area of Lagos, the then Military President Gen. Ibrahim Babangida had to engage Julius Berger, the construction com­pany, to recover the debris and human remains involved in the crash.

He declared that 32 years after the crash, nothing had changed in terms of search and rescue.

He hoped that the situation would trigger investment in search and rescue in Nigeria.

However, Sanusi said the situ­ation was not strange in the global aviation industry.

He lamented that 10 years af­ter the Malaysia Airlines flight 370 disappearance, the debris, black boxes and human remains were yet to be found.

He described any accident within the coastal area as a “harsh environment” where de­bris may be difficult to recover.

According to him, to ensure effective search and recovery in coastal areas, it required special­ised tooling and trained person­nel, which he felt was lacking in Nigeria.

Malaysia Airlines flight 370, a passenger jet on March 8, 2014, during a flight from Kuala Lum­pur to Beijing disappeared from the radar.

The disappearance of the Boeing 777 aircraft with 227 pas­sengers and 12 crewmembers on board led to a search effort stretching from the Indian Ocean west of Australia to Central Asia.

The perplexing nature of the loss of flight 370 is such that it has become one of history’s most fa­mous missing aircraft till date.

Sanusi said: “Any crash that involves the ocean is usually very difficult to find the debris. It is a harsh environment to re­cover the debris and the human remains. It is always difficult and you need specialised tooling, specialised trained personnel to recover.

“So, it is not unusual. Some­times, it is not recoverable. They never recovered Titanic despite the world’s technology. They left it at the bed of the ocean. So some­times, it is very difficult in such a harsh environment.

“I won’t say it is a negative on our side as a country. Malaysia aircraft has never been recovered up till now, but if it had happened on the ground, you can access it, but you cannot find the debris, then, it becomes a problem.”

Also, an industry source who didn’t want his name in print, said he was not familiar with the coastal area where the crash occurred.

The source explained that the memo from the Ministry of Avia­tion and Aerospace Development indicated that the search and res­cue was a joint effort between the military and civilians.

According to him, if the mil­itary were involved, it would be impossible for the public to get necessary update on the crash.

“It is coastal water and how deep is it? Do we have a crane that can go deep? Do we have the capacity?” he queried.

Besides, Capt. Mohammed Badamasi, aviation expert, said that Nigeria was not prepared for search and rescue in the industry.

He also wondered if the Emer­gency Locator Transmitter (ELT) onboard the helicopter was ser­viceable as at the time of the crash and queried if there was a distress call before the crash occurred.

Badamasi explained that a serviceable ELT was supposed to last for 24 hours after an acci­dent, describing it as the surest equipment that gives the search and rescue the precise location of a crash.

He added: “In the absence of the ELT, the search becomes more difficult. The option is to use the time between the actual time of take-off and the last time of com­munication with the pilot as the time of the crash.

“The speed of the chopper and the time of last communication are used to calculate the distance between the take-off point and the crash site.”

He, however, said that there is a depth limit that the divers could go to for search and rescue or recovery because of high sea pressure.

 

 

Tags
crasheddebrishelicopter
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post Rivers crisis: How I was ambushed in Abuja with peace agreement – Governor Fubara
next post South Africa to strip Chidimma Adetshina of citizenship, travel documents
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
News

Human rights lawyer Falana urges Tinubu to rely on Defence HQ for security intelligence

May 17, 20260
News

Transparency Watch Initiative ranks two agencies among Nigeria’s best performing public institutions

May 16, 20260
News

Tinubu arrives in Lagos after 3-nation trip

May 16, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Crime

BLOODBATH: Man beheads mother, another kills sister, niece

May 18, 20260
Sports

Nigeria end African Athletics Championship with 12 medals

May 18, 20260
Crime

SHOCKING: 68-year-old woman raped to death in Lagos

May 18, 20260
Business & Economy

63% of Nigerians want interest rates reduced – CBN

May 18, 20260
Crime

How terrorists killed 17 police officers, soldiers in Yobe

May 18, 20260
Politics

2027 elections: Former President Jonathan to submit presidential forms today – Sources

May 18, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

BLOODBATH: Man beheads mother, another kills sister, niece

May 18, 2026

Nigeria end African Athletics Championship with 12 medals

May 18, 2026

SHOCKING: 68-year-old woman raped to death in Lagos

May 18, 2026

63% of Nigerians want interest rates reduced – CBN

May 18, 2026

How terrorists killed 17 police officers, soldiers in Yobe

May 18, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

BLOODBATH: Man beheads mother, another kills sister, niece

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Again, Trump fined $10,000 for violating gag order

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Holders PSG lose 2-1 at Sporting Lisbon in Champions League

January 21, 2026
3

Yuletide: High demand, limited aircraft skyrocket airfares

December 10, 2025
4

How to watch BBNaija season 10 on GOtv, DStv, Showmax, other platforms

July 30, 2025
5

NYSC to begin payment of N77,000 allowance from March – DG

March 20, 2025
6

Messi celebrates Ballon d’Or with MLS fans

November 11, 2023
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Judicial cleansing: EFCC’s axe dangles over 100 lawyers as 17 get sanctions

March 12, 2026
3

Tinubu should restore democracy in Rivers, LG election not in the people’s interest — Lawyer

August 29, 2025
4

Afriq System boss sent to prison over alleged $854.4m, N590m fraud

June 10, 2025
5

Group stage fixtures for 2026 FIFA World Cup •FULL LIST

April 1, 2026
6

10 immigrant groups at risk of losing US citizenship •FULL LIST

July 1, 2025

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

HAPPENING NOW: Road users face heavy traffic on Lagos–Ibadan Expressway as Kara Bridge repair work resumes

March 10, 2026

Hunger protest: FG begins sale of 50kg rice for ₦40,000

July 30, 2024

Motorists, residents lament as flood submerges Lagos roads

September 17, 2025

LG election: ADC threatens to drag Southeast governors to court

April 19, 2024
Top posts

Categories

  • News4544
  • Politics4063
  • Crime3886
  • International2734
  • Sports2254
  • Business & Economy2113
  • Headlines2068
  • Education1252
  • Matilda Showbiz892
  • Health798
  • Entertainment733
  • Africa459
  • Religion449
  • Environment319
  • Special262
  • Arts & Culture227
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Info Tech219
  • Interview176
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today172
  • Opinion145
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade117
  • Advert30
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Trends16
  • Local News4

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact