Skip to content
Thursday 20 August 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
Crime
Crime

Kidnapped Archbishop, driver regain freedom 25 days after abduction •We’re not aware – Police

The FrontierThe FrontierJanuary 2, 2025 2342 Minutes read0

•Gunmen

The kidnapped retired Archbishop of the Province of the Niger and Bishop Diocese of Nnewi, Most Rev. Prof. Godwin Okpala, has reportedly regained his freedom from his abductor.

Most Prof. Okpala regained his freedom alongside his driver 25 days after his abduction in Umuchu where he had gone to attend the burial ceremony of a Bishop colleague who lost his in-law, reports Vanguard.

Okpala, a 75-year-old was the pioneer Bishop of the Diocese of Nnewi before he became Archbishop of the Province of the Niger.

For twenty-five days of his captive, information concerning his whereabouts and possible demands of ransom from his abductors were kept secret as all efforts to speak with the authorities at the Diocese of Nnewi Anglican Communion, refused to speak with newsmen.

Even with the Archbishop and his driver’s alleged release, the effort to speak with the Bishop of the Diocese of Nnewi, Rt. Rev. Ndubisi Obi has proved abortive as several calls put to his phone have not been picked.

However, information about the circumstances surrounding the release of the Archbishop and his driver’s release are still sketchy as sources said they escaped from the kidnappers’ den, while another said they were released after payment of an undisclosed sum of money for ransom.

Contacted, the Police Public Relations Officer of the Anambra State Police Command, Tochukwu Ikenga, a Superintendent of Police, said the command does not have any official information about the kidnap and the release of the Archbishop and his driver.

However, Archbishop Okpala confirmed his release through a post on his social media handle this morning.

The Archbishop, who had not been active on his social media handle since his kidnap, however, made a post titled, “Praise the Lord” on his official Facebook page, signifying his freedom.

This was immediately followed by hundreds of reactions from people, thanking God for his freedom.

The Archbishop’s release and that of his driver is also being celebrated on the media platforms of many Anglican churches and Dioceses in the state and beyond.

It would be recalled that the gentleman and respected retired Archbishop, Prof. Okpala, and his driver were last seen on Friday, December 8, on their way to attend a burial ceremony in Umuchu, Aguata Local Government Area of Anambra State.

Reports indicated that since then, the Archbishop and his driver never arrived at their destination nor returned, as their whereabouts remained unknown, while all attempts to establish contact with him or the driver were unsuccessful.

While speculations abound that the Archbishop and his driver might have been kidnapped by gunmen on their way to the burial, this development not only added to the already existing tension in Anambra State, but also plunged the Anglican faithful, particularly in the Nnewi Diocese, and his hometown of Adazi-Ani, into a state of deep anxiety and restlessness.

The Bishop of Nnewi Diocese, Rt. Rev. Ndubuisi Obi, who then confirmed the ugly incident to newsmen, also issued a heartfelt appeal for intercessory prayers the following day, urging the faithful to seek divine intervention for the safe return of the Archbishop and his driver, but never made another comment until their release.

Tags
abductiondriverKidnapped Archbishoppoliceregain freedom
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post World’s oldest Olympic champion, Agnes Keleti dies at 103
next post Estranged man sets wife’s apartment ablaze on New Year Day
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
Crime

Stop unlawful detention, extortion or face sanctions — Abuja Police boss warns officers

August 20, 20260
Crime

FG moves to decriminalise attempted suicide, approves National Mental Health Act amendment

August 20, 20260
Crime

South African mother pleads guilty to hard drugs importation in Nigeria

August 19, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
International

10 ways to qualify for British citizenship in the UK — Official

August 20, 20260
Sports

Why Man City lost to Arsenal in Community Shield — Maresca

August 20, 20260
Politics

2027: How Tinubu, Atiku, Obi spent elections campaign Day One

August 20, 20260
Politics

2027: I will bring back fuel subsidy if elected president — Former Vice President Atiku promises Nigerians

August 20, 20260
Business & Economy

Abuja’s whopping N390 billion debt raises posers over cost of Nigeria’s capital infrastructure boom under minister Wike

August 20, 20260
Crime

Stop unlawful detention, extortion or face sanctions — Abuja Police boss warns officers

August 20, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

10 ways to qualify for British citizenship in the UK — Official

August 20, 2026

Why Man City lost to Arsenal in Community Shield — Maresca

August 20, 2026

2027: How Tinubu, Atiku, Obi spent elections campaign Day One

August 20, 2026

2027: I will bring back fuel subsidy if elected president — Former Vice President Atiku promises Nigerians

August 20, 2026

Abuja’s whopping N390 billion debt raises posers over cost of Nigeria’s capital infrastructure boom under minister Wike

August 20, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

10 ways to qualify for British citizenship in the UK — Official

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

INSIDE AKWA IBOM TODAY: Governor Eno increases state allowance for Youth Corps members from N5,000 to ₦20,000 monthly

July 4, 2025
3

NDLEA nabs 3 wanted drug kingpins, intercepts Oman-bound consignment

April 21, 2024
4

Tesla to recall nearly 219,000 US vehicles

May 6, 2026
5

UK court remands man over murder of Nigerian

June 8, 2026
6

Top 10 countries with the lowest divorce rate in the world

February 22, 2025
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Economic downturn: Our jobs no longer safe – Organised Labour fumes

August 27, 2024
3

Doctor accused of poisoning patients sounds defiant ahead of trial

September 8, 2025
4

67.35% get five credits as NECO releases results for 2023 SSCE

February 26, 2024
5

You can’t fight me – Tinubu dares NLC

February 29, 2024
6

I will oppose any ticket with former Governor Kwankwaso on it – Ex-US lawmaker Mike Arnold warns Peter Obi

May 26, 2026

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

23 injured in Saudi Arabia amusement park accident

July 31, 2025

JAMB result: Only 4,756 candidates scored 320 and above in UTME 2025 – Registrar

May 9, 2025

Cash scarcity hits Imo as banks begin low payments to customers

December 10, 2023

I’m pleased with my shouting match with Senator Nwebonyi – Former Minister Ezekwesili

March 26, 2025
Top posts

Categories

  • News4917
  • Politics4572
  • Crime4408
  • International3035
  • Sports2454
  • Business & Economy2269
  • Headlines2218
  • Education1367
  • Matilda Showbiz983
  • Health875
  • Entertainment812
  • Africa573
  • Religion483
  • Environment364
  • Special277
  • Info Tech245
  • Arts & Culture240
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today202
  • Interview186
  • Opinion153
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade130
  • World Cup 202695
  • Advert34
  • Trends23
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Local News5

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact