Skip to content
Friday 22 May 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
Business & Economy
Business & Economy

Forensic audit of NNPC ongoing – Finance minister Edun

The FrontierThe FrontierFebruary 20, 2026 864 Minutes read0

•Minister of Finance and Coordinating Minister of the Economy, Wale Edun

The Minister of Finance and Coordinating Minister of the Economy, Wale Edun, today disclosed that a forensic audit of the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited is ongoing, as part of efforts to scrutinise oil revenue deductions and boost remittances into the Federation Account.

“It is an ongoing forensic audit of NNPC as mandated by the Federation Account Allocation Committee meeting. That is ongoing,” Edun said at a press conference in Abuja where he briefed stakeholders on recent developments in the Nigerian economy.

The minister explained that the audit is running alongside the implementation of a new presidential executive order directing that certain oil and gas revenues be paid directly into the Federation Account, reports The PUNCH.

According to him, the review is examining deductions and charges that reduce what eventually accrues to the Federal Government, states and local governments.

He said the Federal Executive Council had earlier mandated a subcommittee to scrutinise “the deductions from the Federation Account, and in particular, the costs of collection of some of the deductions that were going on and the amounts that were being charged for actually doing that task.”

Edun added, “It’s within that context of looking at what should come into the Federation Account and what was going elsewhere that we have now been directed by Mr President, as owner of the executive order, to immediately flow these three elements, management fee, frontier fund, as well as the gas flare penalty, directly to the Federation Account.”

He stressed that the directive does not override any ongoing legislative or institutional processes.

“It does not prejudice anything else that is ongoing, whether at the National Assembly or the legislature or any other action that is looking at this all-important area of the Federation Account, the accuracy, the transparency, and the accountability of the funds that are going to flow into it,” he said.

According to the minister, a committee comprising federal and state representatives has been constituted to ensure efficient implementation of the directive and is scheduled to meet next week.

Edun indicated that the combined effect of the executive order and the forensic audit would clarify the long-debated issue of alleged remittance backlogs.

Linking the development to broader fiscal reforms, the minister said Nigeria must intensify domestic resource mobilisation in the face of elevated global interest rates and limited fiscal space.

“Within that context, there is a need to focus on domestic resource mobilisation, rather than debt financing that is not self-paid,” he said, warning that heavy debt service obligations crowd out spending on health, education and infrastructure.

On revenue transparency, Edun said the government is deploying technology across ministries, departments and agencies to block leakages and improve accountability.

He disclosed that revenue-earning agencies have been directed to migrate to a unified digital platform.

“All revenue-earning agencies should be on the same technical platform. An investment has been made in technology. We have advisors. We have a consortium. And the revenue agencies are given that platform on which to collect funds. Everybody will see how much somebody is meant to pay, how much he has paid, and how much he is owing,” he said.

He added that cash payments for government services would be discontinued from February 20, describing manual cash handling as incompatible with modern public finance management.

The minister also addressed concerns about the cost of collection by certain agencies, noting that under existing financial regulations and the Fiscal Responsibility Act, agencies are restricted in the portion of revenue they can retain.

“Under the financial regulations, under the Fiscal Responsibility Act, effectively, no matter what the likes of NUPRC or others collect, they’re only entitled to spend a maximum of 50 per cent of it. Their surplus must come to the government,” he said.

Beyond oil revenue issues, Edun disclosed that the government is engaging private equity investors over concerns around the application of capital gains tax.

He warned that sudden capital exits could destabilise markets.

“It can affect the markets dramatically, because if they all decide that on one day, this doesn’t pay them, and they’re off, it would be negative for us, so we have every reason to sit down with them and discuss the issue of capital gains tax,” he said, reiterating the government’s preference for long-term, job-creating investments.

He also said no revenue-generating public asset is off limits to serious investors willing to propose concession or partnership arrangements, including airports, seaports and other infrastructure.

On social protection, the minister said 9.1 million households have benefited at least once from the direct benefit transfer programme, with another one million set to be paid and about five million more to be covered before completion of the current phase.

It was earlier reported in April 2025 that Edun announced that a forensic audit of the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited will begin soon.

He revealed this at the Nigerian Investor Forum, held alongside the IMF/World Bank Spring Meetings in Washington DC.

It was also reported that President Bola Tinubu suspended the collection of management and frontier exploration fees by the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited as part of a sweeping Executive Order aimed at safeguarding oil and gas revenues due to the Federation.

Tags
Finance Minister EdunForensic auditNNPC
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post Council election: Senator Kingibe asks Wike to review, suspend Abuja movement restriction
next post Lagos APC holds council congresses tomorrow •450 screened for party positions
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
Business & Economy

Abuja residents resort to charcoal, firewood amid rising energy costs

May 22, 20260
Business & Economy

Chinese investors may acquire majority stake in Port Harcourt, Warri refineries

May 22, 20260
Business & Economy

Multi-billionaire businessman Otedola to invest $100 million in Dangote refinery

May 20, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Crime

Yoruba Elders denounce kidnappings in Oyo schools, urge South-West governors to act

May 22, 20260
Politics

Women, youths threaten to dump APC after Senator Shehu Buba’s withdrawal from Bauchi governorship primary

May 22, 20260
Sports

Michael Carrick given permanent deal as Man Utd manager

May 22, 20260
Politics

ADC governorship primary election begins in Rivers

May 22, 20260
Africa

Ebola risk upgraded to very high in DR Congo — WHO chief

May 22, 20260
Africa

Riot hits DR Congo hospital as Ebola response angers victims’ families

May 22, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Yoruba Elders denounce kidnappings in Oyo schools, urge South-West governors to act

May 22, 2026

Women, youths threaten to dump APC after Senator Shehu Buba’s withdrawal from Bauchi governorship primary

May 22, 2026

Michael Carrick given permanent deal as Man Utd manager

May 22, 2026

ADC governorship primary election begins in Rivers

May 22, 2026

Ebola risk upgraded to very high in DR Congo — WHO chief

May 22, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

Yoruba Elders denounce kidnappings in Oyo schools, urge South-West governors to act

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Again, Trump fined $10,000 for violating gag order

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

MONARCHS AT WAR: Atóbaáse of Yorubaland backs Alaafin over royal rumble

August 21, 2025
3

JUST IN: NNPP slams 6 months suspension on Gov Abba Yusuf

April 16, 2024
4

Police get 11 new AIGs, 16 commissioners •FULL LIST

December 17, 2024
5

CBEX remains banned in Nigeria – SEC

June 11, 2025
6

North not interested in ex-President Buhari, says Atiku’s aide

March 14, 2025
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

US–Iran war: Despite Dangote price cut, marketers sell petrol at N1,330/litre

March 30, 2026
3

India fines Binance $2.25 million amid ongoing trial in Nigeria

June 20, 2024
4

Over 20 corpses recovered from Taraba boat mishap – State govt

November 5, 2023
5

Rivers emergency rule: PDP governors storm Supreme Court to challenge Tinubu’s powers

April 9, 2025
6

Set for commissioning: Inside Lagos Opebi–Mende link bridge project •VIDEO

March 5, 2026

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

7 weeks after Tinubu’s visit, Nigeria, UAE row lingers •Nigerians in UAE cry out

October 31, 2023

Insecurity: National Assembly bars aides from corridor near Senate President Akpabio’s office

October 3, 2025

Confusion as Senator Okpebholo declared winner in parallel Edo APC guber primary

February 18, 2024

EPL: Arsenal go 6 points clear after goalless draw with Liverpool

January 9, 2026
Top posts

Categories

  • News4556
  • Politics4117
  • Crime3906
  • International2748
  • Sports2272
  • Business & Economy2121
  • Headlines2076
  • Education1261
  • Matilda Showbiz892
  • Health802
  • Entertainment740
  • Africa468
  • Religion450
  • Environment320
  • Special262
  • Arts & Culture227
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Info Tech220
  • Interview176
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today172
  • Opinion145
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade117
  • Advert30
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Trends16
  • Local News4

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact