Skip to content
Thursday 20 August 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
International
International

Global nuclear weapons control under pressure in 2026

The FrontierThe FrontierDecember 22, 2025 1103 Minutes read0

The fragile global legal framework for nuclear weapons control faces further setbacks in 2026, eroding guardrails to avoid a nuclear crisis.

The first half of the year will see two key events: the US-Russia bilateral treaty, New START, expires on February 5, and in April, New York hosts the Review Conference (RevCon) of the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons (NPT) — the cornerstone of global nuclear security frameworks.

The RevCon, held every four to five years, is meant to keep the NPT alive, reports AFP.

But during the last two sessions, the 191 signatory states failed to agree on a final document, and experts expect the same outcome in April.

“I think this is going to be a difficult RevCon,” said Alexandra Bell, head of US-based global security nonprofit the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists, at a UN-hosted online conference in early December.

“In terms of the current state and near future prospects of nuclear arms control architecture, things are bleak,” she added.

Anton Khlopkov, director of Russian think-tank the Center for Energy and Security Studies (CENESS), took an even starker point of view, saying at the same event that “we are at the point of almost complete dismantlement of arms control architecture”.

“We should be realistic in the current circumstances. At best, I think we should try to preserve what we have,” he said.

– ‘Crumbling’ Safeguards –

From US strikes on Iranian nuclear sites to Russia’s test of the new Burevestnik nuclear-powered cruise missile and US President Donald Trump’s remarks about possibly resuming nuclear tests — the international nuclear landscape darkened in 2025.

At the same time, “the arms control architecture is crumbling”, Emmanuelle Maitre of France’s Foundation for Strategic Research (FRS) told our correspondent.

A key challenge hinges on a shift in global relations.

Nuclear control had been built over decades around a Moscow-Washington axis, but China’s growing power and rapid technological advances have shifted the international playing field, which is simultaneously increasingly strained.

“The growing interlinkage between nuclear and conventional forces and the emergence of disruptive technologies (such as the US Golden Dome defence system and new hypersonic weapons) have transformed traditional nuclear deterrence into a multi-domain concept, especially in a multipolar world,” said Peking University’s Hua Han.

“This trilateral configuration introduces complexities far beyond the Cold War-era bilateral model. Increasing China-Russia cooperation further complicates deterrence calculations, particularly in the two main theatres of concern: Europe and the Asia-Pacific,” she added, according to the minutes of an April event held by Pakistan’s Center for International Strategic Studies.

A likely result of the changing landscape is the lapse of New START, which sets weapon limits and includes inspection systems.

“The entire inspection component is no longer functioning; the notifications when a missile is moved, etc, all of that has vanished. What remains is only the voluntary commitment to stay within the limits,” said Maitre.

– ‘Collective Solutions’ –

But allowing New START to lapse is “in American interest”, according to Robert Peters of the influential Heritage Foundation, reflecting the stance of much of the US strategic community to avoid tying Washington’s hands to Moscow alone.

Beijing, which currently has fewer weapons, has so far refused to engage in trilateral disarmament talks.

“China is the fastest-growing nuclear power on the planet. It’s building 100 new warheads a year and now has more ICBM (intercontinental ballistic missile) silos than the US has active Minuteman III silos,” Peters said at a recent online International Institute for Strategic Studies event.

“New START does nothing to address” that issue, he added.

However, Maitre said, a New START lapse doesn’t mean the world should expect serious consequences as early as February 6.

In both Washington and Moscow, “there is a small margin to bring some weapons back into service, but the numbers cannot be very significant. There are bottlenecks” that will slow any buildup, she said.

Nor will the lack of a final document from the RevCon cause “immediate or damaging consequences” to the NPT, she said.

But, she warned, fewer safeguards risk leaving the world without diplomatic tools to resolve tensions.

“The less functional the NPT becomes, the harder it is to forge collective solutions in the event of a crisis.”

Tags
2026Global nuclear weaponsunder pressure
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post Dangote to Nigerians: Report MRS stations selling petrol above ₦739
next post Car blast kills Russian General hours after US talks
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
International

RED ALERT: Mad cow disease case confirmed on UK farm

August 19, 20260
International

Canada invites 1,000 candidates to apply for permanent residence

August 19, 20260
International

JUST IN: US lawmaker rejects lifting Nigeria’s ‘Country of Particular Concern’ status after Plateau attack

August 18, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Education

Parents groan as fee increase crisis hits private schools

August 20, 20260
Arts & Culture

Isese Day: Lagos, Ogun, Oyo declare today work-free

August 20, 20260
Entertainment

REVEALED: Afrobeats star Davido was target of Osun governor’s convoy gun attack – Police

August 20, 20260
Interview

Nigeria’s reforms must be judged by results, not propaganda — Mayor of Urhoboland

August 20, 20260
Sports

Senate launches war on sports bodies over Nigeria’s football collapse

August 20, 20260
News

Tinubu appoints Abel Enitan as new Head of Federal Civil Service

August 20, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Parents groan as fee increase crisis hits private schools

August 20, 2026

Isese Day: Lagos, Ogun, Oyo declare today work-free

August 20, 2026

REVEALED: Afrobeats star Davido was target of Osun governor’s convoy gun attack – Police

August 20, 2026

Nigeria’s reforms must be judged by results, not propaganda — Mayor of Urhoboland

August 20, 2026

Senate launches war on sports bodies over Nigeria’s football collapse

August 20, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

Parents groan as fee increase crisis hits private schools

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

New President of Lagos Ohanaeze Ndigbo emerges

February 25, 2026
3

British Conservative Party leader Badenoch hits back at Vice President Shettima, says ‘I’m not PR representative for Nigeria’

December 12, 2024
4

Man Utd hit 5 to start life after Ten Hag; Arsenal, Liverpool into League Cup quarters

October 31, 2024
5

JUST IN: 3 injured as child opens fire in school

April 2, 2024
6

Abuja teachers protest delayed promotion, demand Commission chairman’s resignation

June 26, 2026
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Drug marketers decry hijack of Lagos centre

July 24, 2025
3

NAFDAC reports fall in medicine imports, urges stronger local production

October 17, 2025
4

8 factors that could make or mar Edo governorship election on Saturday

September 19, 2024
5

Faiq Bolkiah tops list of richest footballers in the world •FULL LIST

February 21, 2024
6

7 controversial Buhari quotes and how Nigerians reacted

July 14, 2025

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Poly workers protest over non-implementation of new minimum wage 2 years after •We’re still receiving N18,000 – Workers

February 16, 2026

Governors can’t be trusted with state police, power to control AK-47 — Lawmaker

September 24, 2025

Labour Party approved Peter Obi’s coalition move – Acting national chairman, Nenadi Usman hits back at Abure

July 3, 2025

Taliban releases detained elderly British couple

September 19, 2025
Top posts

Categories

  • News4917
  • Politics4569
  • Crime4407
  • International3032
  • Sports2452
  • Business & Economy2267
  • Headlines2218
  • Education1367
  • Matilda Showbiz983
  • Health875
  • Entertainment812
  • Africa573
  • Religion483
  • Environment364
  • Special277
  • Info Tech245
  • Arts & Culture240
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today202
  • Interview186
  • Opinion153
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade130
  • World Cup 202695
  • Advert34
  • Trends23
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Local News5

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact