Skip to content
Friday 21 August 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
Hunger protests in Nigeria
Hunger protests in Nigeria

Hunger protests: Military contradicts IGP, admits use of live ammunition on protesters

The FrontierThe FrontierAugust 7, 2024 2683 Minutes read0

•Inspector General of Police (IGP) Kayode Egbetokun

The police’s claim over non-use of ammunition on protesters took a new dimension today, when the Nigerian Army confirmed that one of its men killed a teenager in Zaria, Kaduna State.

The #EndBadGovernance protest, which started on a peaceful note later degenerated into violence in different parts of the country, reports Daily Trust.

The first reported incident of killing was in Suleja, Niger State, where at least six protesters were allegedly shot by security operatives trying to restore order.

Next was in Kubwa, Abuja, where a teenager was reportedly gunned down by a policeman.

Similar killings were recorded in Kaduna, Kano, Jigawa, Borno, Katsina, among others.

But despite multiple videos of extrajudicial killings, the police denied each and all of them.

Amnesty International had condemned the use of lethal force against protesters.

In a statement, the human rights group said, “Our findings, so far, show that security personnel at the locations where lives were lost deliberately used tactics designed to kill while dealing with gatherings of people protesting hunger and deep poverty.”

President of Nigeria Labour Congress, Joe Ajaero, also warned the Police and other security forces to stop what he described as “massacre” of protesters.

Ajaero, who also questioned the professionalism of the police high command and its officers being superintended by Kayode Egbetokun. The labour leader said the police officers should divert their energy towards marauding bandits wreaking havocs in the country and be brutal against them rather than innocent Nigerians demanding their rights.

But Muyiwa Adejobi, Force spokesman, had said while there were some instances of killings during the protest, none was by the police.

In a piece titled: ‘The Hunger March As Universal Mandate’, Nobel Laureate, Professor Wole Soyinka, wrote, “Live bullets as state response to civic protest – that becomes the core issue. Even tear gas remains questionable in most circumstances, certainly an abuse in situations of clearly peaceful protest. Hunger marches constitute a universal S.O.S, not peculiar to the Nigerian nation. They belong indeed in a class of their own, never mind the collateral claims emblazoned on posters.”

At a media briefing in Abuja yesterday, Egbetokun once again denied the use of live bullets against protesters.

“The police and the military, indeed no other security agency involved in the management of this protest has deployed excessive use of force. Instead, what we had were attacks on security agents during the protest. From our record, there were no shooting incidents by the police. The police or military did not use any live ammunition in the management of these protests. Instead, we have had cases where our officers were injured and are in critical condition as we speak.

“I will dismiss that as fake news and very wrong allegations. We didn’t use excessive force at all. We didn’t even deploy the whole of our strength in this protest even when it turned violent. We have water cannons we did not deploy, we have rubber bullets, we didn’t use. All that we have used in the management of this protest is teargas and nothing more,” he had said.

However, 24 hours later, the army authorities admitted that a soldier opened fire on a protester who died in Zaria.

“On 6 August 2024, troops of the Nigerian Army received a distress call that some hoodlums gathered in Samaru in large numbers, burning tires on the road and pelting stones on security personnel. The troops immediately mobilised and arrived at the scene to disperse the mob and enforce the curfew imposed by the state government.”

“On arrival at the scene, the hoodlums brazenly attempted attacking the troops prompting a soldier to fire a warning shot to scare the hoodlums away, which unfortunately led to the death of a 16 year old boy Ismail Mohammed. The soldier involved has since been arrested and undergoing interrogation as at the time of this report,” Onyema Nwachukwu, Army spokesman, said in a statement.

Amnesty International has called for a judicial commission of inquiry into the deaths of protesters by security forces.

Tags
admitscontradictsHunger protestsIGPlive ammunitionMilitaryProtesters
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post Top 10 universities in Nigeria 2024
next post Hardship protests: Tinubu begs Nigerians
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
Hunger protests in Nigeria

#EndBadGovernance protest: One year after, nothing has changed – Conveners •Another protest considered

August 1, 20250
Hunger protests in Nigeria

June 12 protest: Security operatives take over venue as organisers back down

June 12, 20250
Hunger protests in Nigeria

Democracy Day: Tension as protesters mobilise for mass action nationwide

June 12, 20250
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Education

BREAKING: How to access just released 2026 WAEC certificate online •Step-by-step procedure

August 21, 20260
International

Nigerians applying for Canada study permit to now wait longer

August 21, 20260
International

Biological parents sue surrogate mother for refusing abortion following baby’s life-threatening diagnosis

August 21, 20260
Politics

REVEALED: Real reason our presidential candidate Atiku stayed away from Peace Accord signing — ADC

August 21, 20260
Politics

Activist Sowore blasts Davido over visit to Wike after Osun election victory

August 21, 20260
Politics

Political expert calls for return to Option A4 voting system in Nigeria

August 21, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

BREAKING: How to access just released 2026 WAEC certificate online •Step-by-step procedure

August 21, 2026

Nigerians applying for Canada study permit to now wait longer

August 21, 2026

Biological parents sue surrogate mother for refusing abortion following baby’s life-threatening diagnosis

August 21, 2026

REVEALED: Real reason our presidential candidate Atiku stayed away from Peace Accord signing — ADC

August 21, 2026

Activist Sowore blasts Davido over visit to Wike after Osun election victory

August 21, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

BREAKING: How to access just released 2026 WAEC certificate online •Step-by-step procedure

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Rivers women walkout: Wike apologises to Tinubu’s wife, calls incident embarrassing

May 4, 2025
3

INSIDE AKWA IBOM TODAY – Governor Eno and the less privileged: Na today?, By Anietie Usen

August 4, 2026
4

2027: It’s improper for PDP to back Tinubu – Turaki-led PDP declares amid peace talks

March 26, 2026
5

AFCON 2025: Nigeria targets strong finish against Rwanda today as Lookman exits camp

November 18, 2024
6

Benue Assembly suspends 4 lawmakers for plotting Speaker’s impeachment

August 22, 2025
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Venezuela earthquakes death toll surpasses 4,300

July 12, 2026
3

Former Minister Dalung labels Tinubu dwarf in Nigeria’s political history

February 9, 2026
4

INEC announces date for 16 bye-elections in 12 states, deploys 30,451 staff •FULL LIST

June 26, 2025
5

Salah told to leave as Trent Alexander-Arnold admits transfer regret

February 23, 2026
6

Judges issuing conflicting verdicts will be sanctioned – Chief Justice Ariwoola vows

July 10, 2024

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Notorious armed robbery syndicate nabbed in Akwa Ibom, locally made pistol recovered

July 6, 2024

One year after, Tochi Wigwe pens emotional tribute to parents, brother

February 16, 2025

8 body signs and symptoms you should not ignore

July 12, 2024

NECO releases 2025 SSCE external results, records 71.63% pass rate

February 3, 2026
Top posts

Categories

  • News4922
  • Politics4585
  • Crime4409
  • International3038
  • Sports2457
  • Business & Economy2272
  • Headlines2219
  • Education1369
  • Matilda Showbiz983
  • Health877
  • Entertainment812
  • Africa575
  • Religion483
  • Environment364
  • Special277
  • Info Tech245
  • Arts & Culture240
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today203
  • Interview186
  • Opinion153
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade130
  • World Cup 202695
  • Advert34
  • Trends23
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Local News5

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact