Skip to content
Thursday 21 May 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
International
International

Israel defends Qatar air strikes after rebuke from Trump

The FrontierThe FrontierSeptember 10, 2025 1303 Minutes read0

•Smoke billowing after explosions in Qatar’s capital Doha yesterday 

Israel’s UN envoy defended targeting Hamas leaders in Qatar as the “right” decision today, after the strikes on the US ally’s soil drew a rare rebuke from President Donald Trump.

The White House said Trump did not agree with Israel’s decision to take military action yesterday and had warned Qatar in advance of the incoming strikes, reports AFP.

But Qatar, which hosts a large US military base and has spearheaded repeated rounds of Gaza truce efforts, said it had not received the warning from Washington until the deadly attack was already under way.

Israel’s ambassador to the United Nations today justified the decision, telling an Israeli radio station: “We don’t always act in the interests of the United States.”

“We are coordinated, they give us incredible support, we appreciate that, but sometimes we make decisions and inform the United States,” Danny Danon said.

“It was not an attack on Qatar; it was an attack on Hamas. We are not against Qatar, nor against any Arab country, we are currently against a terrorist organisation,” he told 103FM.

Palestinian militant group Hamas said six people were killed in the strikes, including a son of its top negotiator Khalil al-Hayya, but that its senior leaders had survived. Qatar said one of its security officers also died.

Danon said Israel was “still waiting for the results” of the operation.

“It is too early to comment on the outcome, but the decision is the right one,” he added.

According to sources close to Hamas, six Hamas leaders including Hayya and former top leader Khaled Meshaal were in the building targeted by Israel at the time of the strike.

Our correspondent has been unable to reach any of them since then.

Qatar said the strikes targeted the homes of several members of Hamas’s political bureau residing in the Gulf country.

Three bodyguards and negotiator Hayya’s aide and son were all killed in the attack, Hamas said, affirming “the enemy’s failure to assassinate our brothers in the negotiating delegation”.

The emirate’s prime minister said it reserved the right to respond to the Israeli attack, which it said constituted a “pivotal moment” for the region.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said he ordered the strikes following a Monday shooting in Jerusalem that killed six people and was claimed by Hamas.

– ‘Not Thrilled’ –

Trump said he was not notified in advance of the Israeli attack on Qatar, a crucial broker in the negotiations between Israel and Hamas on ending the Gaza war and securing the release of hostages held by Palestinian militants.

“I’m not thrilled about the whole situation,” Trump told reporters during a rare outing to a Washington restaurant.

“We want the hostages back, but we are not thrilled about the way that went down today.”

In a post on social media, the US President insisted that “this was a decision made by Prime Minister Netanyahu, it was not a decision made by me”.

“I view Qatar as a strong ally and friend of the U.S., and feel very badly about the location of the attack,” he said — although adding that eliminating Hamas was still a “worthy goal.”

Hamas’s October 7, 2023 attack on Israel sparked the nearly two-year war in Gaza and resulted in the deaths of 1,219 people, mostly civilians, according to an AFP tally based on Israeli figures.

Israel’s retaliatory offensive has killed at least 64,605 Palestinians, most of them civilians, according to figures from the health ministry in Hamas-run Gaza that the United Nations considers reliable.

Along with the United States and Egypt, Qatar has led multiple attempts to end the Israel-Hamas war and secure the release of the remaining hostages.

Tags
air strikesIsraelQatarTrump
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post TRAGEDY: Children, adults killed, others injured as gas tanker collides with bus on Owerri/Onitsha Expressway
next post 70-year-old man in Police net over alleged sexual assault on teenage girls
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
International

TRAGEDY: Woman swept away as floods paralyse New York City •VIDEO

May 21, 20260
International

Australian court upholds $465,000 fine against Elon Musk’s X

May 21, 20260
International

Nigerian, 8 other deportees from US arrive Sierra Leone

May 21, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
International

TRAGEDY: Woman swept away as floods paralyse New York City •VIDEO

May 21, 20260
Politics

APC declares Chinda Rivers governorship candidate

May 21, 20260
Religion

Hajj: NAHCON concludes airlift operation to Saudi Arabia

May 21, 20260
Politics

BREAKING: Court nullifies 2027 election timelines issued by INEC

May 21, 20260
News

Commission seals real estate firms in Abuja for failure to address consumer complaints

May 21, 20260
Education

Varsity lecturers reject move by FG to abolish Humanities courses

May 21, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

TRAGEDY: Woman swept away as floods paralyse New York City •VIDEO

May 21, 2026

APC declares Chinda Rivers governorship candidate

May 21, 2026

Hajj: NAHCON concludes airlift operation to Saudi Arabia

May 21, 2026

BREAKING: Court nullifies 2027 election timelines issued by INEC

May 21, 2026

Commission seals real estate firms in Abuja for failure to address consumer complaints

May 21, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

TRAGEDY: Woman swept away as floods paralyse New York City •VIDEO

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Again, Trump fined $10,000 for violating gag order

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Oil price increase: UK announces £53 million households support

March 17, 2026
3

Buhari hails Gowon on 90th birthday

October 18, 2024
4

Access Bank announces replacement for late Herbert Wigwe

February 13, 2024
5

Bandit scare: 4 teenagers arrested in Osun community

February 28, 2026
6

Bride-to-be family, passengers overpower bandits, kill one, seize AK-47 rifles

April 24, 2024
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Nigerians becoming poorer under present dispensation, says ADC

October 9, 2025
3

5 dead, 20 missing as boats collide in Delta

February 26, 2025
4

Prophet, other suspects nabbed over ritual killing

February 16, 2024
5

Rocket attack intercepted over US embassy in Baghdad

March 8, 2026
6

JUST IN: Former US President Trump narrowly escapes death from gunman attack at campaign rally

July 14, 2024

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Atiku to Tinubu: Explain NNPCL $3.3billion loan

January 26, 2024

IPOB leader, Nnamdi Kanu urges court to strike out charges against him, gives DSS 3-day ultimatum

October 31, 2025

Grammy announces dates for 2027 awards ceremony

May 14, 2026

Atiku disowns Bwala: He was never an aide to ex-vice president – Media office

February 13, 2024
Top posts

Categories

  • News4554
  • Politics4108
  • Crime3902
  • International2748
  • Sports2267
  • Business & Economy2119
  • Headlines2076
  • Education1261
  • Matilda Showbiz892
  • Health800
  • Entertainment740
  • Africa465
  • Religion450
  • Environment320
  • Special262
  • Arts & Culture227
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Info Tech220
  • Interview176
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today172
  • Opinion145
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade117
  • Advert30
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Trends16
  • Local News4

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact