Skip to content
Wednesday 20 May 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
International
International

Israel pounds Gaza as Hamas vows to keep up fight

The FrontierThe FrontierSeptember 16, 2024 2354 Minutes read0

•Smoke billows from the site of an Israeli airstrike at a Lebanese village today

Gaza medics and rescuers today said Israeli strikes on several homes killed at least 18 people, as Hamas claimed it had ample resources to sustain its fight nearly a year into the war.

The latest strikes came as Israeli Defence Minister Yoav Gallant warned that prospects for a halt in fighting with Hezbollah militants along the Lebanon border were dimming, yet again raising fears of a wider regional conflagration, reports AFP.

Senior Hamas official Osama Hamdan told our correspondent during an interview in Istanbul yesterday: “The resistance has a high ability to continue.

“There were martyrs and there were sacrifices… but in return there was an accumulation of experiences and the recruitment of new generations into the resistance.”

His comments came less than a week after Gallant told journalists that Hamas, whose October 7 attack triggered the war, “no longer exists” as a military formation in Gaza.

Deadly fighting raged on in the Gaza Strip today, with survivors seen searching through the debris of crushed buildings following a strike on the Nuseirat refugee camp in central Gaza.

Ten people were killed and 15 others were wounded when an air strike hit the home of the Al-Qassas family in Nuseirat on Monday morning, a medic at Al-Awda hospital, where the bodies were brought, told our correspondent.

“My house was hit while we were sleeping without any prior warning. There are many martyrs, among them the sons of my family and my little grandsons,” said Rashed al-Qassas, a surviving family member.

Gaza’s civil defence agency said six Palestinians were killed in a similar air strike during the night on a house belonging to the Bassal family in Gaza City’s Zeitun neighbourhood, a regular target of Israeli military raids since the war began.

Two people were killed in another overnight air strike in Rafah that targeted a house belonging to the Abu Shaar family, the agency said.

Israel-Hezbollah tensions surge

The October 7 attack that sparked the war resulted in the deaths of 1,205 people, mostly civilians, according to an AFP tally based on official Israeli figures.

Militants also seized 251 hostages, 97 of whom are still held in Gaza, including 33 the Israeli military says are dead.

Israel’s retaliatory military offensive has so far killed at least 41,226 people in Gaza, according to the health ministry in the Hamas-run territory, which does not provide a breakdown of civilian and militant deaths.

The war has also drawn in Iran-backed fighters from across the region, including in Lebanon, Syria, Yemen and Iraq.

Tensions have surged along Israel’s northern border with Lebanon, amid fears the violence could explode into an all-out war.

“The possibility for an agreed framework in the northern arena is running out as Hezbollah continues to ‘tie itself’ to Hamas,” Gallant told US Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin in a phone call.

Gallant “reiterated Israel’s commitment to the removal of Hezbollah presence in southern Lebanon, and to enabling the safe return of Israel’s northern communities to their homes”.

Israeli media outlets said Amos Hochstein, the special envoy of US President Joe Biden, arrived in Israel on Monday to help defuse tensions between Israel and Hezbollah.

Lebanon’s Iran-backed Hezbollah group has traded near-daily cross-border fire with Israeli forces since October 7.

Hezbollah deputy chief Naim Qassem said Saturday his group has “no intention of going to war”, but if Israel does “unleash” one “there will be large losses on both sides”.

The cross-border violence since early October has killed 623 people in Lebanon, mostly fighters but also including at least 141 civilians, according to our tally.

On the Israeli side, including in the annexed Golan Heights, authorities have announced the deaths of at least 24 soldiers and 26 civilians.

Huthi strike

Gallant’s warning also comes after Yemen’s Huthi rebels claimed a rare missile attack on central Israel yesterday — an attack that caused no casualties but sparked vows of retaliation from Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.

“They should have known by now that we charge a heavy price for any attempt to harm us,” the Israeli premier said.

The Huthis said they had “penetrated” Israel’s air defences, while Israel said the missile likely fragmented mid-air but was not destroyed.

In July, a Huthi drone strike killed a civilian in Tel Aviv, at least 1,800 kilometres from Yemen.

It prompted retaliatory strikes that caused significant damage and deaths at Yemen’s rebel-controlled Hodeida port.

Since November the Huthis have targeted Israel and its perceived interests in stated solidarity with Palestinians in Gaza, launching dozens of missile and drone strikes that have disrupted global shipping through vital waterways off Yemen.

In a televised speech, the Huthis’ leader said the rebels and their regional allies were “preparing to do even more”.

“Our operations will continue as long as the aggression and siege on Gaza continue,” Abdul Malik al-Huthi said.

Tags
FightGazaHamasIsraelpounds
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post British politics, fashion collide at London Fashion Week •PHOTO SPLASH
next post Notorious bandit leaders killed by Nigerian Military •FULL LIST
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
International

Finland plans stricter rules for international students

May 19, 20260
International

Global oil price jumps as Middle East tensions deepen

May 19, 20260
International

Trump holds off attack on Iran after intervention by Gulf leaders

May 19, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Politics

2027 elections: Former President Jonathan gets PDP waiver, emerges sole presidential candidate

May 20, 20260
News

7 feared killed as LG chairman survives road accident

May 20, 20260
Politics

APC primaries: Governorship aspirants shun consensus deal in 10 states •FULL LIST

May 20, 20260
Politics

APC primaries: More aspirants reject results, take complaints to Abuja

May 20, 20260
Health

RED ALERT: Aviation authority orders tighten health surveillance at Nigerian airports over Ebola outbreak

May 20, 20260
Politics

We must fight war against poverty to fulfill Chapter II of Constitution — Afenifere chieftain

May 20, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

2027 elections: Former President Jonathan gets PDP waiver, emerges sole presidential candidate

May 20, 2026

7 feared killed as LG chairman survives road accident

May 20, 2026

APC primaries: Governorship aspirants shun consensus deal in 10 states •FULL LIST

May 20, 2026

APC primaries: More aspirants reject results, take complaints to Abuja

May 20, 2026

RED ALERT: Aviation authority orders tighten health surveillance at Nigerian airports over Ebola outbreak

May 20, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

2027 elections: Former President Jonathan gets PDP waiver, emerges sole presidential candidate

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Again, Trump fined $10,000 for violating gag order

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Months after, whereabouts of 350 escapees from prisons unknown

October 17, 2024
3

Meningitis: Gombe records 3 deaths; NCDC deploys teams to Kebbi, Sokoto, Katsina

March 28, 2025
4

Who are the men convicted in French mass rape trial? •FULL LIST

December 20, 2024
5

FRSC commander summoned to HQ for sanctions over unauthorised comment

December 7, 2023
6

INEC announces date to begin nationwide voter registration

August 1, 2025
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

JUST IN: 11 injured as passenger plane skids off runway

May 9, 2024
3

Lagos Assembly approves appointments into key commissions, agencies •FULL LIST

May 2, 2025
4

Ponzi scheme: Nigerian women in tears after allegedly losing millions to crashed CBEX trading platform •VIDEO

April 15, 2025
5

INCREDIBLE! Chinese mourners use AI to resurrect the dead digitally

December 14, 2023
6

I considered suicide after bandits killed my husband, relatives – Widow

October 4, 2025

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

N58 million fraud: Court remands lawyer till 2025

November 8, 2024

Alleged plot to execute Nnamdi Kanu: Human rights group warns Tinubu

November 7, 2025

Arteta confident Arsenal will overcome Gabriel loss, eyes Everton win

April 4, 2025

Christmas Unplugged Season 2.0 kiosk validation exercise: Akwa Ibom confirms arrest of vendors

December 3, 2024
Top posts

Categories

  • News4547
  • Politics4086
  • Crime3895
  • International2740
  • Sports2263
  • Business & Economy2116
  • Headlines2076
  • Education1253
  • Matilda Showbiz892
  • Health800
  • Entertainment737
  • Africa463
  • Religion449
  • Environment320
  • Special262
  • Arts & Culture227
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Info Tech220
  • Interview176
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today172
  • Opinion145
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade117
  • Advert30
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Trends16
  • Local News4

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact