Skip to content
Sunday 23 August 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
International
International

Kenya cult leader on trial for manslaughter over mass deaths

The FrontierThe FrontierAugust 12, 2024 3492 Minutes read0

•Self-proclaimed pastor, Paul Nthenge Mackenzie (L)

The leader of a Kenyan starvation sect went on trial for manslaughter today over the deaths of more than 400 of his followers in one of the world’s worst cult-related tragedies.

Self-proclaimed pastor Paul Nthenge Mackenzie and dozens of other suspects pleaded not guilty in January to multiple counts of manslaughter, one of several cases against them over what is known as the “Shakahola Forest Massacre”, reports AFP.

Mackenzie appeared in a magistrate’s court in the Indian Ocean port city of Mombasa along with 93 other suspects, prosecutors and court officials said.

“There has never been a manslaughter case like this in Kenya,” prosecutor Alexander Jami Yamina told our correspondent, adding that they will be charged under a Kenyan law dealing with suicide pacts.

“This is going to be a very unique manslaughter case.”

Mackenzie is alleged to have incited his followers to starve to death in order to “meet Jesus” in a case that provoked horror in Kenya and across the world.

He was arrested in April last year after several bodies were first discovered in the remote Shakahola forest that lies inland from the Indian Ocean town of Malindi.

Rescuers spent many months searching the scrubland and have now unearthed around 448 bodies from mass graves.

Autopsies revealed that the majority of victims had died of hunger. But others, including children, appeared to have been strangled, beaten or suffocated.

Previous court documents also said that some of the bodies had their organs removed.

– Some bodies released to families –

The charge sheet lists 95 defendants — 55 men and 40 women including Mackenzie’s wife.

But one accused woman died in police custody due to “complications related to long term illness and the effects of the fast,” Yamina told our correspondent, adding that she passed away “a month or so ago”.

At least 420 witnesses have been prepared by the prosecutors, with hearings scheduled to run for four days until Thursday.

“Due to the gravity of the case, we have prepared well,” Yamina said.

Some of the witnesses will present their testimony behind closed doors.

The suspects went on trial last month on charges of terrorism over the Shakahola massacre, and also face separate cases of murder and child torture and cruelty relating to the deaths. Prosecutors say these occurred over the years 2020 to 2023.

In March this year, the authorities began releasing some victims’ bodies to distraught relatives after months of painstaking work to identify them using DNA. So far 34 have been returned.

Mackenzie had set up his Good News International Church in 2003, but said he closed it in 2019 and moved to Shakahola to prepare for what he had predicted would be the end of the world in August last year.

The grisly case led the government to flag the need for tighter control of fringe denominations, while questions have been raised about how Mackenzie managed to evade law enforcement despite a history of extremism and previous legal cases.

A commission set up by President William Ruto to investigate the deaths and review regulations governing religious bodies presented its report last month, urging for a hybrid model of self-regulation and government oversight.

Separate reports by the Kenyan senate and a state-funded human rights watchdog have said the authorities could have prevented the deaths.

Efforts to regulate religion in the majority-Christian country have often been fiercely opposed in the past as attempts to undermine constitutional guarantees for the division between church and state.

Tags
cult leaderKenyamanslaughtertrial
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post You lack credibility to discuss debt mgt – Delta PDP tells APC
next post Anambra, Kwara announce dates to hold LG elections
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
International

12 dead in UK, Irish wrong-lane motor accidents

August 23, 20260
International

US, Canada unable to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs

August 22, 20260
International

One dead as plane hits car

August 22, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Headlines

JUST IN: ‘Fake agency’ boss fights back with appointment letter by FG

August 23, 20260
Health

Why Nigerians should stop cutting vegetables in markets — Nutritionists

August 23, 20260
Sports

La Liga: Mourinho begins Real Madrid reign with last-minute win

August 23, 20260
News

Travellers stranded as traffic jam returns to Abuja-Kaduna highway

August 23, 20260
Politics

Tinubu Campaign Council a rehab centre for corruption suspects, says ADC

August 23, 20260
Business & Economy

Tinubu’s N15.8 trillion reform gains yet to reach Nigerians — Analysts insist

August 23, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

JUST IN: ‘Fake agency’ boss fights back with appointment letter by FG

August 23, 2026

Why Nigerians should stop cutting vegetables in markets — Nutritionists

August 23, 2026

La Liga: Mourinho begins Real Madrid reign with last-minute win

August 23, 2026

Travellers stranded as traffic jam returns to Abuja-Kaduna highway

August 23, 2026

Tinubu Campaign Council a rehab centre for corruption suspects, says ADC

August 23, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

JUST IN: ‘Fake agency’ boss fights back with appointment letter by FG

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

13 travellers missing as pirates hijack passenger boat in Rivers

February 7, 2025
3

JUST IN: Super Eagles crush Cameroon to advance into quarterfinals

January 27, 2024
4

Uber driver killed, body dumped on Lagos road

February 11, 2025
5

Edo guber election: PDP prepares documents to challenge result in court

September 30, 2024
6

Olubadan’s children usually neglected after father’s death – Ibadan Prince decries

March 19, 2024
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

BEWARE! Fake Naira notes in circulation – CBN warns

December 8, 2023
3

6 states get new commissioners of police

December 25, 2024
4

Northern Reps raise fresh concerns over tax reform bills

November 19, 2024
5

SERAP to Tinubu: Reject $1.08billion World Bank loan

April 7, 2025
6

Why my father hid 300 Christians from killer Fulani herdsmen – Son of late heroic imam reveals

February 1, 2026

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

JUST IN: Lagos lawmakers in court over speakership tussle

March 7, 2025

2027 elections: Governors joining APC won’t distract us – Former Vice President Atiku-led coalition

April 25, 2025

Military training camp not taken over by terrorists — DHQ

October 30, 2024

Messi, Bonmati make final shortlist for FIFA Best Player awards

December 15, 2023
Top posts

Categories

  • News4929
  • Politics4593
  • Crime4411
  • International3044
  • Sports2462
  • Business & Economy2274
  • Headlines2224
  • Education1369
  • Matilda Showbiz991
  • Health879
  • Entertainment813
  • Africa578
  • Religion483
  • Environment367
  • Special277
  • Info Tech245
  • Arts & Culture240
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today204
  • Interview186
  • Opinion153
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade130
  • World Cup 202695
  • Advert34
  • Trends23
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Local News5

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact