Skip to content
Thursday 20 August 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
Education
Education

UTME resit: JAMB announces date to release results of 379,000 candidates

The FrontierThe FrontierMay 20, 2025 4403 Minutes read0

•JAMB candidates

The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board has announced that it will tomorrow, Wednesday release the results of 379,000 candidates who sat the rescheduled Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination between Friday and yesterday.

JAMB rescheduled the exam following widespread outcry over mass failure during the initial UTME, reports The PUNCH.

The board admitted to technical and human errors, especially in Lagos and South-East states, which significantly affected candidates’ performance.

Out of the 1.9 million candidates who sat this year’s UTME, over 1.5 million scored below 200 marks out of a possible 400, prompting widespread concern among stakeholders.

Following sustained pressure, JAMB investigated the mass failure and discovered technical and human errors in its system..

JAMB Registrar, Prof. Ishaq Oloyede, last week publicly accepted responsibility for the errors, even shedding tears while announcing a resit for the affected candidates.

Speaking to our correspondent yesterday, JAMB’s spokesperson, Dr Fabian Benjamin, confirmed that the results of the rescheduled exams would be released tomorrow.

“The results of the candidates who took the rescheduled exam will be released on Wednesday,” Benjamin said.

Oloyede had earlier disclosed that 379,997 candidates in Lagos and the five states of the South-East were impacted by the UTME glitches.

According to him, 206,610 candidates in 65 centres across Lagos and 173,387 in 92 centres in the South-East zone were affected.

Describing the situation as “sabotage,” Oloyede said the affected candidateswould start receiving text notifications for the rescheduled exam starting last Thursday.

Of the 1,955,069 results processed from the original UTME, only 4,756 candidates (0.24 per cent) scored 320 and above. An additional 7,658 candidates (0.39 per cent) scored between 300 and 319, bringing the total number of top-tier scorers (300 and above) to 12,414 (0.63 per cent).

Meanwhile, 73,441 candidates (3.76 per cent) scored between 250 and 299, while 334,560 (17.11 per cent) scored between 200 and 249.

A total of 983,187 candidates (50.29 per cent) scored between 160 and 199, widely considered the minimum threshold for admission in many institutions. Another 488,197 (24.97 per cent) scored between 140 and 159, 57,419 (2.94 per cent) between 120 and 139, 3,820 (0.20 per cent) between 100 and 119, and 2,031 (0.10 per cent) scored below 100.

Over 75 per cent of all candidates scored below 200 in the exam graded over 400 marks, fueling national debate over the credibility and fairness of the testing process.

Meanwhile, the South-East Caucus in the House of Representatives yesterday called for the immediate resignation of JAMB Registrar over what it described as a “catastrophic institutional failure” in the conduct of the 2025 UTME.

The South-East lawmakers made the demand in a statement signed by Iduma Igariwey (PDP, Ebonyi).

They criticised poor communication, the short notice given for the rescheduled UTME, and scheduling conflicts with ongoing West African Senior School Certificate Examinations, all of which they said had caused “unnecessary trauma” for students and their families.

The caucus said, “Last week, particularly on May 14, 2025, the Registrar of JAMB, Prof. Ishaq Oloyede, made a shocking public admission that due to a ‘technical glitch’ at some examination centres during the 2025 UTME, approximately 379,997 out of 1.9 million candidates would be required to resit the exam.

“As a caucus, we are deeply concerned, as all five South-Eastern states we represent were directly affected by these so-called ‘score distortions.’

“Over the past week, we have exercised restraint, hoping that JAMB would provide effective remedial measures to address what is clearly a catastrophic institutional failure—one that has severely shaken public trust and the confidence of students and their families nationwide.”

The lawmakers called for the immediate cancellation of the 2025 UTME and the scheduling of a fresh examination, preferably after the conclusion of the ongoing WAEC and NECO exams, to avoid disadvantaging any student.

They also demanded the suspension of key officials responsible for JAMB’s digital operations and logistics, saying accountability must extend beyond public apologies.

“While we acknowledge Prof. Oloyede’s openness in admitting JAMB’s failures, we must state unequivocally that the remedial steps taken so far fall drastically short of our constituents’ expectations,” the statement added.

“JAMB’s knee-jerk, fire-brigade approach has been anything but adequate. Students in the South-East—many of whom are currently writing their WAEC examinations—were given less than 48 hours’ notice to appear for the rescheduled UTME. Reports indicate that this notice was grossly inadequate, resulting in low turnout. In some cases, the rescheduled UTME clashed directly with ongoing WAEC papers, compounding the distress and confusion for students and their families.”

Citing Section 18(1) of the 1999 Constitution, which mandates government to ensure equal and adequate educational opportunities at all levels, the caucus argued that recent judicial pronouncements have made this provision an enforceable right for every Nigerian child.

“Sadly, for the thousands of students across the South-East, the flawed and tainted conduct of the 2025 UTME has effectively denied them that right to equal and adequate educational opportunities,” the lawmakers stated.

 

Tags
candidatesJAMBresultsUTME resit
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post Another kidnap kingpin going for Hajj nabbed
next post INEC recognises Abure faction’s nominee for governorship election
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
Education

JUST IN: Lagos exams board announces date for Common Entrance Screening Test

August 19, 20260
Education

Tinubu directs EFCC to channel all recovered looted funds to Nigerian Education Loan Fund account

August 19, 20260
Education

2027 elections: NYSC members warned against reckless use of social media

August 19, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Education

JUST IN: Lagos exams board announces date for Common Entrance Screening Test

August 19, 20260
Business & Economy

You must account for subsidy removal gains — Former Vice President Atiku tells Tinubu

August 19, 20260
Headlines

BREAKING: Governor Adeleke’s convoy attacked by gunmen while leaving monarch’s palace

August 19, 20260
Crime

South African mother pleads guilty to hard drugs importation in Nigeria

August 19, 20260
Politics

Elderly man murdered after endorsing APGA Rep candidate in Ebonyi

August 19, 20260
Education

Tinubu directs EFCC to channel all recovered looted funds to Nigerian Education Loan Fund account

August 19, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

JUST IN: Lagos exams board announces date for Common Entrance Screening Test

August 19, 2026

You must account for subsidy removal gains — Former Vice President Atiku tells Tinubu

August 19, 2026

BREAKING: Governor Adeleke’s convoy attacked by gunmen while leaving monarch’s palace

August 19, 2026

South African mother pleads guilty to hard drugs importation in Nigeria

August 19, 2026

Elderly man murdered after endorsing APGA Rep candidate in Ebonyi

August 19, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

JUST IN: Lagos exams board announces date for Common Entrance Screening Test

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

My wife Bose don join 419

February 8, 2025
3

Xenophobia: House of Reps moves to document losses, seeks compensation for Nigerians in South Africa

July 21, 2026
4

Chaos at Lagos Airport tollgate as cashless policy commences

March 2, 2026
5

Electricity: Tariff hike looms as monthly power subsidy hits N181 billion

September 23, 2024
6

Court remands 20 suspects accused of killing wedding guests in Plateau

July 11, 2025
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Eid-el-Fitr: Lagos Speaker Obasa congratulates Muslims, urges patriotism for national prosperity

April 10, 2024
3

APC primaries: Former Governor Osoba’s son picks 4th term ticket in Ogun

May 17, 2026
4

News of my mother’s death false, misleading — National Security Adviser Ribadu

January 20, 2026
5

Hockey star amputates finger for 2024 Olympics

July 26, 2024
6

Varsity student shot dead

July 22, 2024

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

6 prison inmates studying for PhD, 1,000 pursuing first degrees – NCoS

September 6, 2024

Tinubu’ll be held responsible if anything happens to former Governor El-Rufai — ADC

July 28, 2026

EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade: Glaucoma – The silent thief of sight

March 3, 2025

Nigeria’s GDP once surpassed that of China, Malaysia when we ignored IMF – PDP chieftain Hashim

February 11, 2026
Top posts

Categories

  • News4916
  • Politics4567
  • Crime4406
  • International3032
  • Sports2450
  • Business & Economy2267
  • Headlines2218
  • Education1366
  • Matilda Showbiz983
  • Health875
  • Entertainment811
  • Africa573
  • Religion483
  • Environment364
  • Special277
  • Info Tech245
  • Arts & Culture239
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today202
  • Interview185
  • Opinion153
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade130
  • World Cup 202695
  • Advert34
  • Trends23
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Local News5

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact