Skip to content
Thursday 20 August 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
International
International

King Charles III breaks silence on UK far-right riots

The FrontierThe FrontierAugust 10, 2024 5013 Minutes read0

•British monarch King Charles III

King Charles III yesterday made his first comments about riots that have shaken British cities to praise the work of police in countering the violence.

While the monarch and Queen Camilla conveyed their condolences to the families of three girls killed in a mass stabbing on July 29, Buckingham Palace had not commented on the near-daily riots which followed, reports AFP.

The king praised British police and emergency services “for all they are doing to restore peace in those areas that have been affected by violent disorder”, according to a Buckingham Palace spokesperson.

He hoped the “shared values of mutual respect and understanding will continue to strengthen and unite the nation”, the spokesperson added.

Many observers had been watching to see if the king, who is on his annual summer holiday in Scotland, would end his noticeable silence on the disturbances.

Hundreds of people have been arrested in the near-nightly unrest that hit cities across England and in Northern Ireland and which authorities have blamed on far-right agitators.

Officials say the rioters took advantage of the killings of the girls in the northwestern English coastal town of Southport to launch racist and Islamophobic protests. The suspect accused of the killings was born in Britain.

Traditionally, the monarch does not comment on anything that could cause political controversy.

But in calls with Prime Minister Keir Starmer and police chiefs, the king said he had been “greatly encouraged” by the reaction “that countered the aggression and criminality from a few with the compassion and resilience of the many”.

While extra police have been put on standby, there have been many counter-demonstrations in cities where far-right protests had been planned.

– ‘Perilous moment’ –

His call for unity followed a silence that had concerned some royal watchers.

“I am surprised that the king as head of state hasn’t come out more forcefully, given that it’s a perilous moment for the United Kingdom,” historian and royal commentator Ed Owens said before the statement’s release.

According to constitutional law expert Craig Prescott, however, “the monarchy does not comment on current political events”. The late Queen Elizabeth II remained similarly quiet during the last wave of riots which shook England in 2011.

“Once the riots have subsided, you might expect members of the royal family to visit places affected and perhaps to see them more in multicultural settings,” Prescott said in a post on the X social media platform.

“If the king speaks out about this, then what about the next big issue, and the one after that.”

Owens argued that Charles, who has gradually resumed public duties after a cancer diagnosis earlier this year, may not have publicly reacted for two main reasons.

He may have been “advised by his government that it would be unwise at this stage” to intervene directly.

And the monarch might himself have deemed the issue too “combustible”. The question of “illegal migration” is politically divisive and sensitive in Britain, said Owens.

But as heir to the throne, Charles made known his opposition to the previous government’s plan to send asylum seekers to Rwanda.

And the king has been more vocal about topics such as climate change over the years. Since becoming the monarch he is seen as having presented himself as more accessible than his predecessors, including by opening up about his health.

But for Graham Smith, head of Republic, a pressure group which campaigns for an elected UK head of state to replace the monarch, the lack of a response to the riots showed that the monarchy is an institution “for someone who isn’t able to speak really”.

According to media reports, quoting palace sources, the king has asked for a daily update on the crisis.

But Smith said: “There’s no value in a billionaire sitting in his holiday home being updated about what’s happening. I mean, it’s easy to be updated — switch the TV on.”

 

Tags
breaks silencefar-right riotsKing Charles IIIUK
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post Hunger protests: Tension as policemen takeover major cities ahead of one million-man march today
next post Alert! Consuming eggs with tea or coffee linked to health issues
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
International

10 ways to qualify for British citizenship in the UK — Official

August 20, 20260
International

Russian strikes hit hospital, kill 12, injure 33 in Ukraine’s capital Kyiv

August 20, 20260
International

BREAKING: Prince Harry and wife Meghan set to move back to UK •Children already enrolled in British school

August 20, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
International

10 ways to qualify for British citizenship in the UK — Official

August 20, 20260
Sports

Why Man City lost to Arsenal in Community Shield — Maresca

August 20, 20260
Politics

2027: How Tinubu, Atiku, Obi spent elections campaign Day One

August 20, 20260
Politics

2027: I will bring back fuel subsidy if elected president — Former Vice President Atiku promises Nigerians

August 20, 20260
Business & Economy

Abuja’s whopping N390 billion debt raises posers over cost of Nigeria’s capital infrastructure boom under minister Wike

August 20, 20260
Crime

Stop unlawful detention, extortion or face sanctions — Abuja Police boss warns officers

August 20, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

10 ways to qualify for British citizenship in the UK — Official

August 20, 2026

Why Man City lost to Arsenal in Community Shield — Maresca

August 20, 2026

2027: How Tinubu, Atiku, Obi spent elections campaign Day One

August 20, 2026

2027: I will bring back fuel subsidy if elected president — Former Vice President Atiku promises Nigerians

August 20, 2026

Abuja’s whopping N390 billion debt raises posers over cost of Nigeria’s capital infrastructure boom under minister Wike

August 20, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

10 ways to qualify for British citizenship in the UK — Official

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

2024: What we want from Tinubu: •Southern, Northern, Middle-Belt leaders, groups, manufacturers, business owners list steps FG must take to make Nigeria work in the New Year

December 30, 2023
3

How Police, court failed me after drunk policeman shot my wife dead – Lagos pastor laments

April 13, 2025
4

Impeachment: Ondo Assembly withdraws case against Aiyedatiwa

November 30, 2023
5

3 South Africans arraigned over death of Nigerian student

February 16, 2026
6

BREAKING: Hunger protest organisers demand sack of Inspector General of Police

August 9, 2024
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Real Madrid sell Joselu to Qatari team after activating buy option

June 28, 2024
3

Trump refuses to promise he will accept 2024 election result

May 2, 2024
4

RED ALERT: Beware of influx of ponzi schemes on social media – SEC warns Nigerians

May 14, 2026
5

Rumpus over relocation of federal agencies to Lagos

January 23, 2024
6

Reps give CBN 14-day ultimatum to remit N3.64 trillion in operating surplus to FG

June 27, 2025

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade: How to prevent cataract

March 11, 2024

PDP Board of Trustees kicks against Anyanwu’s return as national secretary

June 27, 2025

Man extradited to US for alleged murder of girlfriend at Boston’s airport

September 3, 2024

Christmas: APC, PDP clash over state of economy

December 26, 2023
Top posts

Categories

  • News4917
  • Politics4572
  • Crime4408
  • International3035
  • Sports2454
  • Business & Economy2269
  • Headlines2218
  • Education1367
  • Matilda Showbiz983
  • Health875
  • Entertainment812
  • Africa573
  • Religion483
  • Environment364
  • Special277
  • Info Tech245
  • Arts & Culture240
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today202
  • Interview186
  • Opinion153
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade130
  • World Cup 202695
  • Advert34
  • Trends23
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Local News5

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact