Skip to content
Saturday 22 August 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
International
International

Korean women sue US military over forced prostitution

The FrontierThe FrontierSeptember 9, 2025 1952 Minutes read0

•Building that was once a “monkey house”, a clinic for sex workers hired to serve US soldiers protecting Seoul from North Korea

More than 100 South Korean women forced to work as prostitutes for US soldiers stationed in the country have filed a landmark lawsuit accusing Washington of abuse, their lawyers said today.

Historians and activists say tens of thousands of South Korean women worked for state-sanctioned brothels from the 1950s to 1980s, serving US troops stationed in the country to protect the South from North Korea, reports AFP.

In 2022, South Korea’s top court ruled that the government had illegally “established, managed and operated” such brothels for the US military, ordering it to pay around 120 plaintiffs compensation.

Last week, 117 victims filed a fresh lawsuit, this time officially accusing — and seeking an apology from — the US military, for the first time.

The lawsuit seeks 10 million won ($7,200) in compensation per victim.

Unlike the better-known “comfort women” used by Japanese soldiers until the end of World War II, those who worked for the US troops have received relatively limited attention, largely due to Washington being Seoul’s key and longtime security ally.

The economy surrounding military brothels in US base towns, including restaurants, barbershops and bars catering to American GIs, made up about 25 percent of South Korea’s GDP during the 1960s and 70s, according to historians.

“I still cannot forget being beaten by US soldiers — slapped for lowering my head while pouring drinks, for not smiling, or for no reason at all,” one of the plaintiffs, in her 60s and who did not wish to give her name, said in a statement sent to our correspondent.

She said she was only 17 when she was tricked into the job — she thought she was going to be a bartender, but was forced into sex work and told she could not leave due to her “debt”.

‘I couldn’t walk’

“Every night we were dragged to US soldiers and sexually abused. Every week, we were forced to undergo venereal disease tests. If there was the slightest abnormality, we were locked in a small room and injected with a thick needle of strong penicillin,” she said.

“The shots were so harsh that my legs gave out and I couldn’t even walk.”

In a joint statement, women’s rights activists supporting the victims said the US military “ignored the South Korean Constitution” and stripped the women of their personal freedom and “destroyed their lives”.

The suit names the South Korean government as the defendant, since under existing laws Seoul must compensate victims of illegal acts committed by US soldiers on duty and later seek reimbursement from Washington, lawyers said.

“This lawsuit seeks to hold both the South Korean government and the US military authorities jointly liable for the unlawful acts,” lawyer Ha Ju-hee told our correspondent.

The US still stations around 28,500 troops in South Korea to help protect it against nuclear-armed North Korea.

The United States Forces Korea (USFK) told our correspondent it was “aware of the reports regarding the issue”, adding “we will not comment while legal proceedings are ongoing”.

“We affirm that we do not condone any behavior that violates Republic of Korea laws, rules, or directives, and we remain committed to maintaining the highest standards of good order and discipline.” the USFK said.

Tags
forced prostitutionKorean womenUS military
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post Senate to Natasha: You can’t resume until judicial process ends
next post BREAKING: Aviation Authority summons 13 domestic airlines over flight cancellations, delays
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
International

One dead as plane hits car

August 22, 20260
International

BREAKING: US court permits FBI to review Tinubu drug case files in private

August 22, 20260
International

Tinubu’s alleged drug trafficking: Why we can’t release his record – FBI

August 21, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Health

The meat we eat and the years we lose: How Nigeria’s abattoirs quietly erode our life expectancy, By Dr. Gani Enahoro

August 22, 20260
International

One dead as plane hits car

August 22, 20260
Politics

EXPOSED: How APC, Accord Party splashed N100 billion on Osun election

August 22, 20260
Sports

Prolific Osimhen scores back-to-back braces

August 22, 20260
International

BREAKING: US court permits FBI to review Tinubu drug case files in private

August 22, 20260
News

IPOB condemns Britain’s ‘selective outrage’ over Israel, Nnamdi Kanu

August 22, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

The meat we eat and the years we lose: How Nigeria’s abattoirs quietly erode our life expectancy, By Dr. Gani Enahoro

August 22, 2026

One dead as plane hits car

August 22, 2026

EXPOSED: How APC, Accord Party splashed N100 billion on Osun election

August 22, 2026

Prolific Osimhen scores back-to-back braces

August 22, 2026

BREAKING: US court permits FBI to review Tinubu drug case files in private

August 22, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

The meat we eat and the years we lose: How Nigeria’s abattoirs quietly erode our life expectancy, By Dr. Gani Enahoro

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

ROMANCE GONE SOUR: My husband is impotent, I have endured enough, please separate us

April 5, 2025
3

No increase for 2026 UTME, Direct Entry registrations – JAMB hints

January 5, 2026
4

EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade: Common eye problems among adults

February 24, 2025
5

FG hasn’t concluded Enugu airport concession plans – Aviation minister

April 21, 2025
6

Cross dresser found dead on Abuja Expressway

August 8, 2024
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Cyclone Chido death toll rises to 94 in Mozambique

December 23, 2024
3

New Lagos State Police Command PRO assumes duty

September 15, 2025
4

EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade: Healthy minds, healthy eyes (2)

June 30, 2025
5

2027: Eligibility suit against former President Jonathan suffers setback

May 11, 2026
6

Edo governorship election tribunal: Why we’re sure of victory – PDP

February 4, 2025

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Abuja–Kaduna train attack: Terrorists offered detained negotiator Tukur Mamu N50 million from ransom – DSS witness

November 26, 2025

Communities protest over delay in disbursement of N400 million relief fund

January 23, 2026

Ponzi schemes: Commission to introduce USSD codes to verify operators

July 21, 2025

Sit-at-Home: Markets, banks remain empty despite Governor Soludo’s warnings

June 15, 2026
Top posts

Categories

  • News4927
  • Politics4589
  • Crime4410
  • International3042
  • Sports2459
  • Business & Economy2272
  • Headlines2221
  • Education1369
  • Matilda Showbiz983
  • Health878
  • Entertainment812
  • Africa577
  • Religion483
  • Environment364
  • Special277
  • Info Tech245
  • Arts & Culture240
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today204
  • Interview186
  • Opinion153
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade130
  • World Cup 202695
  • Advert34
  • Trends23
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Local News5

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact