Skip to content
Thursday 20 August 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
Environment
Environment

Lagos govt seals Oko-Oba Abattoir over environmental violations

The FrontierThe FrontierJune 19, 2025 1872 Minutes read0

•Oko-Oba Abattoir in Lagos

The Lagos State Government (LASG) has announced the immediate closure of Oko-Oba Abattoir over environmental violations and inappropriate operational practices.

The Commissioner For Environment and Water Resources, Mr Tokunbo Wahab, said this while speaking with journalists after an inspection tour of the abattoir today in Lagos, reports NAN.

Wahab who expressed disappointment about the situation of the abattoir admonished the operators for defying regulations.

He, however, appealed to communities to take ownership of their neighbourhoods.

“We got a very strongly worded petition with reference to the state of Oko-Oba Abattoir and got a concurrence petition again from the Ministry of Agric and Food Security.

“They requested that the Ministry of Environment should intervene urgently with respect to the environmental degradation of that facility.

“So, we came this morning, and It’s very heart-wrenching what we saw there. Humans are now occupying tents built purposely for animals.

“The operators have also defied regulations, and they have chosen to be law unto themselves. They slaughter animals, discharge waste into the public drainage system, and it’s just unacceptable,” he said.

He added that the ministry would take a drastic, firm, and decisive action until they were able to comply with the minimum standard.

“The next step is, we are going to take a very drastic, firm and decisive action until they are able to comply with the minimum standard but we have to be very decisive in the next few hours. It’s a catastrophic thing to happen,” he said.

Wahab who said the ministry would close down the abattoir noted that they were not working in silos but rather with the Ministry of Agriculture.

“We are the same government. We are not working in silos. I am glad this major complaint came from the Ministry of Agric.

“This system is settled by laws. There are regulations for the abattoir. You can’t choose to defy and go your own way.

“Once we start the enforcement, we are also going to ensure we have the Lagos State Environmental Protection Agency (LASEPA) there.

“But this is beyond LASEPA. The Lagos Waste Management Authority must have a main station there,” he said.

Wahab who also visited Johnathan Coker Road, along Agege area of the state, expressed deep concern over the deplorable state of infrastructure orchestrated by some mid rants.

He disclosed some individuals had been found chiselling iron rods from bridges and drainage systems funded by taxpayers.

“These infrastructures cost the state huge resources. We can’t build and still police them daily,” he said.

He called on Community Development Associations (CDAs) to take ownership.

“The three CDA chairmen here today must step up. It’s your community. Protect what is yours,” he urged.

Wahab also decried residents refusal to pay for waste services preferring to dump refuse indiscriminately.

He affirmed that the government was actively prosecuting offenders caught in the act and would not relent in its efforts to enforce environmental laws across the state.

“Our laws are clear. You generate your waste, pay for it. No more freeloading. We are also grateful that many Lagosians are beginning to take ownership and whistle-blow on violations.

“It’s a gradual process, but we’re making progress,” he added.

Tags
environmental violationsLagos govtOko-Oba Abattoir
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post Messi fit to face Porto, says Inter Miami’s coach, Mascherano
next post FG seals-off visa centres of 3 countries in Abuja for alleged obstruction of investigation
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
Environment

Flooded Abuja mansions raise questions over green areas

August 18, 20260
Environment

Residents stranded, vehicles submerged as floods hit Abuja

August 17, 20260
Environment

Roads turned dumpsites: Why Lagos is still losing the battle against roadside waste

August 17, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Education

Parents groan as fee increase crisis hits private schools

August 20, 20260
Arts & Culture

Isese Day: Lagos, Ogun, Oyo declare today work-free

August 20, 20260
Entertainment

REVEALED: Afrobeats star Davido was target of Osun governor’s convoy gun attack – Police

August 20, 20260
Interview

Nigeria’s reforms must be judged by results, not propaganda — Mayor of Urhoboland

August 20, 20260
Sports

Senate launches war on sports bodies over Nigeria’s football collapse

August 20, 20260
News

Tinubu appoints Abel Enitan as new Head of Federal Civil Service

August 20, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Parents groan as fee increase crisis hits private schools

August 20, 2026

Isese Day: Lagos, Ogun, Oyo declare today work-free

August 20, 2026

REVEALED: Afrobeats star Davido was target of Osun governor’s convoy gun attack – Police

August 20, 2026

Nigeria’s reforms must be judged by results, not propaganda — Mayor of Urhoboland

August 20, 2026

Senate launches war on sports bodies over Nigeria’s football collapse

August 20, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

Parents groan as fee increase crisis hits private schools

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

True confession: I make N750,000 monthly from motorists – Fake Lagos traffic officer

October 25, 2024
3

Comedian AY confirms EFCC invitation for spraying Naira, foreign currencies

May 7, 2025
4

Lagos hosts ICT commissioners, others to roundtable

October 3, 2025
5

Fernandez remains out despite apology – Chelsea boss

April 10, 2026
6

BREAKING: Panic in Rivers as 3 LG secretariats set on fire •VIDEOS

October 7, 2024
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Hot lyrics: TWE TWE, By Kizz Daniel

December 16, 2023
3

Five Pakistanis arrested with 35 mobile phones in Benue

August 9, 2026
4

Nigeria’s inflation rises to 28.92 per cent, highest in 21 years – NBS

January 15, 2024
5

Yemisi Ogunleye wins Olympic gold for Germany in women’s shot put

August 10, 2024
6

Terrorism: Court sentences ammunition courier Halima Umar to 20 years in prison

May 15, 2026

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Governor Diri mourns Bayelsa traditional ruler killed in auto crash

January 4, 2025

Our 9-day ordeal in kidnappers’ den – Rescued medical student

August 31, 2024

9mobile subscribers groan over service downtime

March 21, 2025

BREAKING: Court pronounces suspended Senator Natasha guilty of contempt, issues her penalties

July 4, 2025
Top posts

Categories

  • News4917
  • Politics4569
  • Crime4407
  • International3032
  • Sports2452
  • Business & Economy2267
  • Headlines2218
  • Education1367
  • Matilda Showbiz983
  • Health875
  • Entertainment812
  • Africa573
  • Religion483
  • Environment364
  • Special277
  • Info Tech245
  • Arts & Culture240
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today202
  • Interview186
  • Opinion153
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade130
  • World Cup 202695
  • Advert34
  • Trends23
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Local News5

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact