Skip to content
Monday 17 August 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
News
News

Military to try officers over alleged coup plot to overthrow Tinubu

The FrontierThe FrontierJanuary 26, 2026 2354 Minutes read0

The Nigerian Armed Forces has said some officers will be arraigned before a military judicial panel to face trial over an alleged plot to overthrow the Tinubu-led federal government.

In a statement by the Director, Major General, Samaila Uba, it said it is in accordance with the Armed Forces Act and other applicable service regulations.

The statement read, “It would be recalled that the Defence Headquarters issued a press statement in October 2025 regarding the arrest of sixteen officers over acts of indiscipline and breaches of service regulations. The Armed Forces of Nigeria (AFN) wishes to inform the general public that investigations into the matter have been concluded and the report forwarded to appropriate superior authority in line with extant regulations.

“The comprehensive investigation process, conducted in accordance with established military procedures, has carefully examined all circumstances surrounding the conduct of the affected personnel.

“The findings have identified a number of the officers with allegations of plotting to overthrow the government which is inconsistent with the ethics, values and professional standards required of members of the AFN.”

According to the statement, the measures being taken are purely disciplinary and part of ongoing institutional mechanisms to preserve order.

“Accordingly, those with cases to answer will be formally arraigned before appropriate military judicial panel to face trial in accordance with the Armed Forces Act and other applicable service regulations. This ensures accountability while upholding the principles of fairness and due process.

“The AFN reiterates that measures being taken are purely disciplinary and part of ongoing institutional mechanisms to preserve order, discipline and operational effectiveness within the ranks. The Armed Forces remain resolute in maintaining the highest standards of professionalism, loyalty and respect for constitutional authority,” it added.

Soldiers’ Arrest

The latest military action came more than three months after it announced on October 2025, that 16 officers had been arrested over alleged acts of indiscipline and violations of service regulations, reports Channels TV.

It explained that preliminary investigations revealed that the officers’ actions were tied to frustrations stemming from repeated failures in promotion examinations and concerns over stalled career progression.

In a statement issued by the Directorate of Defence Information, the conduct of the affected officers was described as falling short of the standards expected within the military.

It further noted that some of the officers were already under investigation for various offences and were either facing trial or awaiting court proceedings.

“The Armed Forces of Nigeria wishes to inform the public that a routine military exercise has resulted in the arrest of sixteen officers over issues of indiscipline and breach of service regulations. Investigations have revealed that their grievances stemmed largely from perceived career stagnation caused by repeated failure in promotion examinations, among other issues.

“The Armed Forces will not tolerate behaviour that undermines the integrity of the institution or threatens its constitutional role under democratic authority. The Armed Forces of Nigeria remains fully committed to its constitutional responsibilities and will remain professional at all times,” the statement partly read.

Parade Cancellation

The planned military trial also came after months of speculation over an attempt to overthrow the Federal Government, linking it with the cancellation of the 65th Independence Anniversary parade.

The Defence Headquarters (DHQ) had earlier dismissed a report that claimed that 16 military officers, ranging from the rank of Captain to Brigadier General, were taken into custody by the Defence Intelligence Agency over alleged involvement in covert meetings to plan a coup against the government.

It had said that the parade was cancelled to allow President Bola Tinubu to attend a strategic bilateral meeting outside the country, and to enable members of the Armed Forces of Nigeria (AFN) to sustain momentum in the ongoing fight against terrorism, insurgency, and banditry.

“The federal government, the Legislature, and the Judiciary are working closely for the safety, development, and well-being of the nation. Democracy is forever.

“The Armed Forces of Nigeria remains firmly loyal to the Constitution and the Federal Government under the leadership of the Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces, President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, GCFR,” a statement signed by the Director of Defence Information, Brigadier General Tukur Gusau, in October had added.

Raid On Ex-Gov’s Resident

But in the same month, soldiers from the Nigerian Army reportedly stormed the Abuja residence of former Bayelsa State governor, Timipre Sylva, over an alleged link to a coup plot.

‎According to multiple security sources, the operation was carried out by a special military team.

‎‎It was gathered that the raid followed intelligence reports linking the former Minister of State for Petroleum Resources to a series of secret meetings allegedly held with some of the detained military officers accused of plotting to overthrow the government.

‎‎A top security source familiar with the development had disclosed that the operation also extended to Sylva’s Bayelsa home, where his brother, identified as one Paga, was arrested.

‎‎“The Nigerian Army special team ransacked the home of Timipre Sylva, who is believed to have fled Nigeria.

“He is the South-South former governor frequently mentioned in the case. His brother, Paga, was picked up during the raid,” the source had revealed.

Opposition’s Demand

Consequently, the opposition African Democratic Congress (ADC) called on the federal government to immediately clarify the true nature of the alleged coup plot involving the arrested military officers.

In a statement signed by its National Publicity Secretary, Bolaji Abdullahi, it voiced worry over “conflicting signals” from government sources, noting that the Defence Headquarters publicly denied ever referencing a coup plot despite widespread media reports to the contrary.

“The ADC is particularly concerned that the federal government has not deemed it fit to make a categorical statement on this very serious matter, especially after the military authorities repeatedly denied that there was such a threat to the government.

“By keeping quiet, the government has deliberately allowed the coup story to fester for whatever reason,” the ADC had said.

Tags
COUP PLOTMilitaryofficersTinubu
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post Tinubu likely to approve only one new state – Sources
next post 4 women die in biscuit factory fire outbreak
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
News

Niger Delta stakeholders renew calls for restructuring, resource control •Demand 70% oil revenue

August 17, 20260
News

JUST IN: Real reason I resigned as Edo Speaker — Agbebaku

August 17, 20260
News

Aviation minister Keyamo urges International Air Transport Association to review Delta Airport location code

August 17, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Education

200 varsity lecturers resign, strike looms

August 17, 20260
Education

LASU 2026 best graduating student gets N10 million cash prize

August 17, 20260
Sports

BREAKING: NFF sacks Coach Madugu, Super Falcons’ crew with immediate effect

August 17, 20260
Headlines

How Nigerians can apply for FG loan to build, buy a house

August 17, 20260
International

5 easiest countries for Africans to get a work visa in 2026

August 17, 20260
Politics

Edo Assembly: Why we removed Agbebaku – New Speaker

August 17, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

200 varsity lecturers resign, strike looms

August 17, 2026

LASU 2026 best graduating student gets N10 million cash prize

August 17, 2026

BREAKING: NFF sacks Coach Madugu, Super Falcons’ crew with immediate effect

August 17, 2026

How Nigerians can apply for FG loan to build, buy a house

August 17, 2026

5 easiest countries for Africans to get a work visa in 2026

August 17, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

200 varsity lecturers resign, strike looms

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Iya Oge of Lagos, Opral Benson not missing – Associate dismisses reports

January 20, 2026
3

BREAKING: Another chef breaks Hilda Baci’s GWR for longest cooking marathon

November 7, 2023
4

I will fix Nigeria, the country is approaching dangerous crossroad under Tinubu – SDP presidential candidate Adabayo •Unveils 2027 Rescue Agenda

May 29, 2026
5

Toney to captain Brentford on return from betting ban

January 19, 2024
6

Colleges of Education in Nigeria to award independent degrees

May 23, 2026
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

BREAKING: 5 airlines sanctioned for flight disruptions, others

December 24, 2024
3

Candidates emerge as APC holds House of Reps primaries across states

May 17, 2026
4

Venezuelan Parliament swears in interim president after Maduro’s capture

January 6, 2026
5

BREAKING: Prince Harry, wife visit Nigeria

April 29, 2024
6

FG should outsource terror fight, military not achieving results – Former Speaker Dogara

July 19, 2024

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

BREAKING: Embattled former Governor El-Rufai reportedly seeks treatment in custody

June 6, 2026

Kwara governor mourns ex-Appeal Court justice, Belgore

April 10, 2024

2027 elections: Publish academic certificates, credentials submitted by every candidate – Peter Obi challenges INEC

July 1, 2026

Rivers crisis: We’ll shock Tinubu if Governor Fubara is impeached — Egbesu

March 14, 2025
Top posts

Categories

  • News4910
  • Politics4549
  • Crime4400
  • International3027
  • Sports2443
  • Business & Economy2263
  • Headlines2215
  • Education1359
  • Matilda Showbiz983
  • Health870
  • Entertainment805
  • Africa568
  • Religion483
  • Environment363
  • Special277
  • Info Tech244
  • Arts & Culture238
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today202
  • Interview185
  • Opinion153
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade130
  • World Cup 202695
  • Advert34
  • Trends23
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Local News5

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact