Skip to content
Wednesday 19 August 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
International
International

MIRACULOUS!: Rescuers pull out Venezuelan man alive eight days after earthquakes

The FrontierThe FrontierJuly 2, 2026 1223 Minutes read0

•Hernan Gil, a survivor of Venezuela’s twin earthquakes, is assisted by members of international rescue teams before being rushed into an ambulance in Catia La Mar, La Guaira State, Venezuela, today 

Hundreds of rescuers in Venezuela cheered and embraced today after pulling a 43-year-old man alive from the ruins of a collapsed building eight days after deadly twin earthquakes.

With the official death toll nearing 2,300 and huge numbers of people still missing, the rescue of security guard Hernan Gil after so long under the rubble was greeted as a miracle, reports AFP.

Gil was brought out on a stretcher after a painstaking operation to extract him from the collapsed seven-story building where he worked in Catia La Mar, a coastal area almost entirely razed to the ground in the June 24 catastrophe.

“This is truly a miracle,” Gil’s wife, Gusbimar Gonzalez, told our correspondent as rescuers worked to rescue him.

Teams from seven countries — Venezuela, Chile, the United States, Portugal, Costa Rica, El Salvador, and Mexico — worked around the clock over three days to reach Gil.

They provided him with more than ten litres of water to keep him hydrated via a hose and installed a tube to provide him with oxygen.

During the final phase of the operation, about thirty people worked in the building’s parking area to clear away debris, while two rescuers dug a three-meter tunnel.

“It wasn’t easy to reach the exact spot where the victim was located,” Cristian Vera, the leader of the Chilean rescue team, told our correspondent.

However, while there have been a few astounding rescues — a three-year-old boy was found Tuesday, six days after the quake — hope has faded of finding many more survivors.

The focus is now shifting to survival for those who escaped the quakes.

Many are homeless, food and water are becoming scarce, and hospitals are stretched to the limit, with experts warning of the risk of disease outbreaks.

‘It would take a miracle’ –

The two powerful quakes, measuring 7.2 and 7.5, shattered entire neighbourhoods in oil-rich Venezuela, which has suffered decades of economic crisis that devastated infrastructure and health services.

NASA data shows almost 60,000 buildings were likely damaged or destroyed.

Venezuela’s National Assembly President Jorge Rodriguez said yesterday that the number of deaths had risen to 2,295, and more than 11,000 people were injured.

He said almost 13,000 people had been left homeless — many of them sleeping in tents on the streets, parks and vacant lots.

Tens of thousands of people remain unaccounted for.

The majority of collapsed buildings in the hardest-hit city of La Guaira, just north of Caracas, have been marked with the letter ‘D’ for ‘deceased’ — a sign they had been searched with no signs of life found.

Relatives, volunteers, and rescue workers were largely focused on retrieving the dead.

In Catia La Mar, about a dozen people struggled to dig through a six-meter-high mound of rubble — the remains of an eight-story building that collapsed “like a slab sandwich,” explained crane operator Manuel Alejos.

“We break through slab by slab to retrieve the bodies…The families need the bodies to say their goodbyes,” said the crane operator, adding that he had already pulled seven dead from the structure.

Cesar Gonzalez, 54, a Mexican firefighter and handler of search-and-rescue dogs, gave water to his two dogs, Zeus and Bom.

“One is for detecting the living, the other for cadavers. Just two days ago, there was much more hope. Now, it would take a miracle to find anyone alive,” he said.

‘We lost everything’ –

The World Food Programme on Tuesday appealed for $50 million to feed some 500,000 people for three months in Venezuela.

Police and military personnel were on patrol to prevent looting, which has been widespread.

Queues for aid are growing longer by the day, with many surviving on the goodwill of volunteers and donations from fellow citizens.

On a soccer field, Maria Arteaga, 33, a mother of four, prepared to sleep Wednesday night in an improvised shelter made of tarps and a Venezuelan flag.

“We lost everything, except our lives. We’re even barefoot,” she told our correspondent.

Tags
earthquakesMIRACULOUSRescuersVenezuelan man
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post Crude oil falls to $70 but Nigerian marketers maintain N1,200 pump price
next post INSIDE AKWA IBOM TODAY: Technical expert reveals unique features of brand new Akwa Ibom CNG buses
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
International

JUST IN: US lawmaker rejects lifting Nigeria’s ‘Country of Particular Concern’ status after Plateau attack

August 18, 20260
International

Student killed in live-streamed school shooting in Philippine

August 18, 20260
International

Backlash after Thailand frees 85-year-old drug trafficker

August 18, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Sports

La Liga: Rodri joins Barcelona from Manchester City

August 18, 20260
International

JUST IN: US lawmaker rejects lifting Nigeria’s ‘Country of Particular Concern’ status after Plateau attack

August 18, 20260
Politics

Governor Adeleke denies deal with ADC to win election

August 18, 20260
News

Container truck queues trigger gridlock, cripple activities in Mile 2, Kirikiri

August 18, 20260
Africa

Zambian President Hakainde Hichilema wins second term

August 18, 20260
Education

UI, UNILAG lead Nigerian institutions in global ranking •FULL LIST

August 18, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

La Liga: Rodri joins Barcelona from Manchester City

August 18, 2026

JUST IN: US lawmaker rejects lifting Nigeria’s ‘Country of Particular Concern’ status after Plateau attack

August 18, 2026

Governor Adeleke denies deal with ADC to win election

August 18, 2026

Container truck queues trigger gridlock, cripple activities in Mile 2, Kirikiri

August 18, 2026

Zambian President Hakainde Hichilema wins second term

August 18, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

La Liga: Rodri joins Barcelona from Manchester City

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Tinubu snubs Sanwo-Olu at commissioning of Lagos-Calabar highway

June 1, 2025
3

Fear grips teachers after colleague’s murder by student

December 2, 2023
4

REVEALED: How NNPC rejected Dangote’s $750 million offer to manage Nigeria’s refineries — Former President Obasanjo •VIDEO

January 2, 2025
5

BREAKING: Former ICPC chairman dead

August 21, 2024
6

Australia to cap foreign student numbers at 270,000

August 27, 2024
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Okuama residents go to court, slam N200bn suit against Army

April 20, 2024
3

BREAKING: Equatorial Guinea prime minister, cabinet resign over unfulfilled performance

June 17, 2026
4

How Donald Trump pulled off his Gaza Deal

October 9, 2025
5

REVEALED: Real reason coalition members adopted ADC – Spokesperson

July 3, 2025
6

Governor Fubara begins payment of N85,000 minimum wage to Rivers workers

November 28, 2024

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

House of Reps caucus sets up panel to probe alleged altered tax laws

January 3, 2026

ROMANCE GONE SOUR: My wife died after I took sex enhancer herb, had rounds of unique sex with her

November 22, 2025

Decades of spending fail to spark Nigeria’s power sector

January 15, 2026

VOA goes off air in rural Nigeria, Ghana, others

April 4, 2025
Top posts

Categories

  • News4912
  • Politics4559
  • Crime4402
  • International3030
  • Sports2448
  • Business & Economy2265
  • Headlines2215
  • Education1362
  • Matilda Showbiz983
  • Health873
  • Entertainment808
  • Africa571
  • Religion483
  • Environment364
  • Special277
  • Info Tech244
  • Arts & Culture238
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today202
  • Interview185
  • Opinion153
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade130
  • World Cup 202695
  • Advert34
  • Trends23
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Local News5

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact