Skip to content
Sunday 23 August 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
News
News

Mokwa floods: 700 persons still missing – Niger govt

The FrontierThe FrontierJune 18, 2025 1712 Minutes read0

•Scene of the recent flood in Mokwa, Niger State

The Niger State government says that over 700 persons are still missing following the recent flooding in Mokwa Community in Mokwa Local Government of the state.

Governor Umaru Bago of Niger, disclosed this when he received Maj. Hamza Al-Mustapha, former Chief Security Officer to Gen. Sani Abacha, and his friends on a condolence visit over the recent flood in Minna yesterday, reports NAN.

Bago, represented by the Deputy Governor, Mr Yakubu Garba, also disclosed that 207 people had been confirmed dead and over 3,000 households displaced.

“Over 700 persons are still missing and we are yet to ascertain where they are. The flooding has caused extensive damage,” he said.

He noted that the flood caused extensive damage with 400 houses damaged while 283 houses and 50 shops were completely destroyed.

He appreciated individuals and corporate organisations for their donations and contributions noting that the incident was a national disaster.

Bago said the state government was working with professional organisations to determine the root cause of the flood and was awaiting assessment results.

Earlier, Al-Mustapha said the visit was to sympathise with Niger government and the people of Mokwa following the devastating flood incident.

“We are here to register our condolences over the flood incident that happened in Mokwa, looking at the heavy losses and its impact on the state.

“We will meet with the traditional council, especially the chairman in Mokwa, and pray that the incident doesn’t happen again,” he said.

He noted that the delegation comprised of influential individuals from different parts of the country aimed to offer sympathy and support to the state government and affected communities.

He added that the delegation would meet with traditional council with a focus of finding ways to prevent similar incidents in the future and to improve town planning and living conditions.

Al-Mustapha and his delegation earlier paid a visit to former Military President Gen. Ibrahim Babangida (Rtd).

Similarly, the governor of Niger State has revealed that most of the victims affected by the May 29 flood disaster in Mokwa town, the headquarters of Mokwa Local Government Area, were non-indigenes, constituting over 50 per cent of those impacted.

He disclosed this yesterday while receiving humanitarian support from Veritas University, Abuja, a Catholic Church-owned institution.

Represented by his deputy, Yakubu Garba, the governor stated that the state government had begun proper documentation of the victims, including collecting bank account details for the disbursement of funds donated by various governments and organisations.

He noted that though the Accountant General of the State was yet to disclose the total amount donated, each affected family was expected to receive not less than N1 million.

Governor Bago added that families currently hosting the displaced victims would also receive support to boost their morale.

Presenting the humanitarian support, the Vice Chancellor of Veritas University, Rev. Fr. Professor Hyacinth Ichoku, represented by the Dean of the Faculty of Education, Rev. Dr. Peter Bakwaph, said some students of the institution lost family members in the disaster.

He stated that the university had donated 150 mattresses, mosquito repellents, and other relief materials to support the victims’ families during their time of grief.

Tags
700 personsMissingMokwa floodsNiger govt
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post Nigeria’s massive tax makeover: How it affects you, your finances
next post 11 CBT centres, registrants to face sanction over fingerprint infractions – JAMB
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
News

Travellers stranded as traffic jam returns to Abuja-Kaduna highway

August 23, 20260
News

Traffic jam: Nigeria’s economy suffers as hundreds of loaded trailers stranded in Ekiti

August 22, 20260
News

IPOB condemns Britain’s ‘selective outrage’ over Israel, Nnamdi Kanu

August 22, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Headlines

JUST IN: ‘Fake agency’ boss fights back with appointment letter by FG

August 23, 20260
Health

Why Nigerians should stop cutting vegetables in markets — Nutritionists

August 23, 20260
Sports

La Liga: Mourinho begins Real Madrid reign with last-minute win

August 23, 20260
News

Travellers stranded as traffic jam returns to Abuja-Kaduna highway

August 23, 20260
Politics

Tinubu Campaign Council a rehab centre for corruption suspects, says ADC

August 23, 20260
Business & Economy

Tinubu’s N15.8 trillion reform gains yet to reach Nigerians — Analysts insist

August 23, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

JUST IN: ‘Fake agency’ boss fights back with appointment letter by FG

August 23, 2026

Why Nigerians should stop cutting vegetables in markets — Nutritionists

August 23, 2026

La Liga: Mourinho begins Real Madrid reign with last-minute win

August 23, 2026

Travellers stranded as traffic jam returns to Abuja-Kaduna highway

August 23, 2026

Tinubu Campaign Council a rehab centre for corruption suspects, says ADC

August 23, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

JUST IN: ‘Fake agency’ boss fights back with appointment letter by FG

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Senate condemns kidnap of students in Borno, Oyo; promises state police

May 18, 2026
3

JUST IN: Military confirms killing of soldiers by terrorists, silent on Army General

April 9, 2026
4

Brent tops $70 on Trump’s Iran threats

January 29, 2026
5

Govt announces 90-day traffic diversion on Lagos bridge

July 19, 2024
6

Supreme Court didn’t sack Abure as Labour Party chairman, says secretary

April 24, 2025
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

ABOMINATION: My wife sends nude photos to other men — Popular Gospel singer Paul Nwokocha opens up on crashed marriage

February 10, 2025
3

Youths burn down Police station after man dies in custody

May 26, 2025
4

Former NTA newscaster Mọdele Sarafa-Yusuf declares for Ogun governorship race

February 26, 2026
5

Banks sell $172m as CBN, EFCC battle currency speculators

February 22, 2024
6

Ibru University launches scholarship for Agricultural Science programme •Kila calls on private sector, govt to support initiative

September 8, 2025

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Papa, Mama, hold una man-pikin well o (2)

January 31, 2026

APC completes upload of all candidates ahead of deadline

August 10, 2026

ASUU protest halts academic activities in UNIBEN

August 26, 2025

We’re awaiting Akeredolu’s family for briefing on burial — Gov Aiyedatiwa

January 21, 2024
Top posts

Categories

  • News4929
  • Politics4593
  • Crime4411
  • International3044
  • Sports2462
  • Business & Economy2274
  • Headlines2224
  • Education1369
  • Matilda Showbiz991
  • Health879
  • Entertainment813
  • Africa578
  • Religion483
  • Environment367
  • Special277
  • Info Tech245
  • Arts & Culture240
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today204
  • Interview186
  • Opinion153
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade130
  • World Cup 202695
  • Advert34
  • Trends23
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Local News5

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact