Skip to content
Tuesday 18 August 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
Sports
Sports

Morocco to appeal Africa Cup of Nations bans, fines after final chaos

The FrontierThe FrontierFebruary 4, 2026 1181 Minutes read0

•Senegal and Morocco players clash during the Africa Cup of Nations (CAN) final football match

Morocco’s football federation said it will appeal disciplinary sanctions and fines imposed by the Confederation of African Football (CAF) after the chaotic scenes at the Africa Cup of Nations final against Senegal last month.

The Royal Moroccan Football Federation (FRMF) was fined a total of $315,000 last month, added to bans against two of its players, reports AFP.

In a statement, the FRMF said it would lodge an appeal “in order to preserve all rights guaranteed by the regulations”, citing “non-conformity of these sanctions with the extent and seriousness of the incidents that occurred”.

The AFCON final on January 18 took a series of dramatic turns from late in regular time when an Ismaila Sarr goal was disallowed for a foul on 2025 African player of the year Achraf Hakimi.

Morocco were then awarded a penalty when forward Brahim Diaz was fouled, sparking furious Senegalese protests.

Morocco missed the long-delayed penalty with a weak shot from Diaz saved by Edouard Mendy. The match then went to extra time and Pape Gueye scored to give Senegal a second AFCON title.

While play was halted over the disputed penalty, some Senegal supporters threw projectiles and others temporarily invaded the pitch before police and security staff intervened.

Morocco was fined $200,000 for the “inappropriate behaviour of the stadium ball boys”.

Another fine of $100,000 was imposed for the “improper conduct” of players and technical staff who invaded the VAR review area and obstructed the work of the Congolese referee.

There was also a $15,000 fine after Moroccan supporters used lasers to try and distract Senegalese players.

And for “unsporting behaviour”, Moroccan forward Ismael Saibari was handed a three-match ban and a fine of $100,000, while captain and defender Achraf Hakimi was suspended for two matches.

The Senegal Football Federation (FSF), which was fined a total of $615,000 for various offences during the final and whose head coach Pape Thiaw was banned for five games, also said it would appeal the sanctions.

Two players from the Senegalese contingent, Iliman Ndiaye and Sarr received two-match bans for “unsporting behaviour towards the referee”.

Senegal’s sanctions included the “unsporting conduct of their players and technical staff in violation of the CAF disciplinary code principles of fair play, loyalty and integrity”.

Tags
Africa Cup of Nationsbansfinal chaosfinesMorocco
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post Arsenal beat Chelsea to reach League Cup final
next post 2027 elections: ADC is no match for APC – National chairman Yilwatda boasts
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
Sports

Coventry sign Nigeria’s Super Eagles striker Awoniyi from Nottingham Forest

August 18, 20260
Sports

BREAKING: NFF sacks Coach Madugu, Super Falcons’ crew with immediate effect

August 17, 20260
Sports

At last, Barcelona reach deal with Man City to sign Rodri

August 17, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Politics

Osun election: Civil Society Organisations demand thorough investigation of Senator Fadahunsi

August 18, 20260
Education

WAEC under fire over 2026 results, alleged grading anomalies

August 18, 20260
Health

JUST IN: Apollo cases confirmed in hospital, residents raise alarm

August 18, 20260
Environment

Flooded Abuja mansions raise questions over green areas

August 18, 20260
Business & Economy

Concerns as cost-of-living pressure lingers despite easing inflation

August 18, 20260
Education

ASUU strike threat: Why Nigerian universities keep returning to same crisis

August 18, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Osun election: Civil Society Organisations demand thorough investigation of Senator Fadahunsi

August 18, 2026

WAEC under fire over 2026 results, alleged grading anomalies

August 18, 2026

JUST IN: Apollo cases confirmed in hospital, residents raise alarm

August 18, 2026

Flooded Abuja mansions raise questions over green areas

August 18, 2026

Concerns as cost-of-living pressure lingers despite easing inflation

August 18, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

Osun election: Civil Society Organisations demand thorough investigation of Senator Fadahunsi

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Workers arrested for ticket racketeering not our staff — Railway boss

January 5, 2024
3

Military arrests suicide bomber, recovers 189 AK-47 rifles

December 31, 2025
4

True confession: We were used during election, then dumped – Sharia Council

January 17, 2024
5

Tobacco kills 1.3 million non-smokers yearly — WHO

June 25, 2025
6

Absence of APC leaders during Vice President Shettima’s visit to Kano sparks debate

July 7, 2025
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Trump vows to bomb Iran again if nuclear activities start

June 28, 2025
3

Kaduna Refinery at 60% mechanical completion, says NNPCL

February 12, 2025
4

JUST IN: CBN revokes licences of 46 Microfinance Banks •FULL LIST

July 1, 2026
5

At least 56 people killed as fighting grips Sudan

February 2, 2025
6

Max Air operations grounded nationwide over N9 billion debt

June 11, 2026

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

N5 million donation tears Celestial church apart, founder’s son disrupts service

November 23, 2024

BREAKING: Deputy governor escapes attack by protesting students

January 15, 2025

Why we can’t let our constituents down – Lagos Speaker Obasa

December 15, 2023

Resident Doctors declare industrial dispute, give FG fresh 4-week deadline

June 29, 2026
Top posts

Categories

  • News4910
  • Politics4553
  • Crime4400
  • International3027
  • Sports2444
  • Business & Economy2264
  • Headlines2215
  • Education1361
  • Matilda Showbiz983
  • Health871
  • Entertainment805
  • Africa569
  • Religion483
  • Environment364
  • Special277
  • Info Tech244
  • Arts & Culture238
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today202
  • Interview185
  • Opinion153
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade130
  • World Cup 202695
  • Advert34
  • Trends23
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Local News5

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact