Skip to content
Monday 18 May 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
Business & Economy
Business & Economy

Multiple national grid collapses threaten minister’s 6,000MW pledge

The FrontierThe FrontierOctober 20, 2024 2083 Minutes read0

Electricity consumers have decried the repeated collapse of the national grid, which happened again yesterday.

They described it as an embarrassment to the nation.

The national grid collapsed around 8.16am yesterday, the third time in one week, with its attendant blackout across the nation, reports Sunday PUNCH.

Checks by our correspondent confirmed that power generation was 3,042 megawatts at 8am. It peaked at 3,968MW at 7am. However, it dropped to 47MW around 9am. It later rose marginally as the system operator made efforts to restore normalcy.

The Minister of Power, Adebayo Adelabu, had promised that Nigeria would attain 6,000 megawatts by the end of the year.

Adelabu assured Nigerians of improvement in power supply by next year, adding that the government was doing its best to enhance power generation and transmission.

But incessant collapses of the grid are threatening the achievement of the 6,000 megawatts target.

Meanwhile, the TCN spokesperson, Ndidi Mbah, did not answer calls to her phone or reply to a message seeking information about the grid collapse.

In an interview with our correspondent, the Convener of the Electricity Consumer Protection Advocacy Centre, Princewill Okorie, expressed worry that electricity customers, especially those on estimated billing, continued to pay for darkness as the grid kept collapsing.

He alleged that substandard equipment must have been used for power infrastructure.

According to him, the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission and the Ministry of Power pay more attention to the distribution companies and their revenue, ignoring the rights of the consumers, especially in the area of metering.

He challenged the Federal Competition and Consumer Protection Commission, asking what it had been doing to protect electricity consumers.

Okorie said, “Consumers don’t have electricity supply after you’ve raised their bill to over N200 per kilowatt-hour as Band A customers. Then, those who are not metered will be billed as if they have a power supply for 24 hours. The consumers are at the receiving end in all of these; their businesses have collapsed. How will they make money? The same consumer that is funding infrastructure; the same consumer that is funding metering, the same consumer that is paying the bill.

“What is the quality of materials used in building the grid? Who are the professionals building the grid? How can the grid be stable when transformers are connected to the grid at the weekend and at night without supervision? When substandard materials are being used all over, how can you build a grid that is stable?”

NERC blames explosion

The NERC said the grid collapse was a result of a current transformer explosion.

In a statement on its social media handles, the NERC said it “notes with concern the recent escalating incidence of grid disturbances often leading to marked outage in several states thus reversing many of the gains recently achieved in reducing infrastructure deficit and improving grid stability.”

The statement reads, “Initial reports on the grid disturbance that occurred this morning indicate that today’s outage was triggered by an explosion of a current transformer at the Jebba transmission station at 0815hrs and an associated cascade of power plants shutdowning from the loss of load.”

The commission stated, however, that efforts to restore supply had advanced “with power significantly restored, as at 1300hrs, in 33 states and the FCT.”

It added, “In line with the provisions of the Electricity Act 2023, the unbundling of the System Operator function out of Transmission Company of Nigeria Plc is ongoing with the expectation that an independent System Operator would engender more discipline in grid management and optimised investment in infrastructure.”

Adelabu had said during the week that there was the need to have power grids in different regions or states to put an end to incessant grid collapses.

The minister, who spoke when he unveiled Hexing Livoltek in Lagos, said grid collapse was almost inevitable in Nigeria given the deplorable state of the country’s power infrastructure.

According to him, having multiple power grids in each region and state would ensure stability.

Tags
Minister'smultiplenational grid collapsespledge
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post Governor suspends commissioner nabbed in sexcapade with married woman
next post Tinubu, Shettima’s long chain of foreign trips raise eyebrows
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
Business & Economy

63% of Nigerians want interest rates reduced – CBN

May 18, 20260
Business & Economy

Dangote Refinery drags FG to court over fuel import licences

May 16, 20260
Business & Economy

Billionaire businessman Otedola acquires additional N43 billion FirstHoldCo shares

May 14, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
News

Nigerian Army expands formations nationwide, honours fallen heroes, wounded soldiers

May 18, 20260
Crime

Oyo school attack: Christian Association of Nigeria urges FG, states to tackle situation with forceful action

May 18, 20260
Politics

APC senate primary: Suspected thugs disrupt voting with gunshots

May 18, 20260
Sports

Carvajal to leave Real Madrid at end of season

May 18, 20260
Politics

Nigerians should be worried about Tinubu’s $11.6 billion debt servicing plan — Peter Obi

May 18, 20260
Politics

Ben Murray-Bruce, 46 others disqualified from APC senatorial race •FULL LIST

May 18, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Nigerian Army expands formations nationwide, honours fallen heroes, wounded soldiers

May 18, 2026

Oyo school attack: Christian Association of Nigeria urges FG, states to tackle situation with forceful action

May 18, 2026

APC senate primary: Suspected thugs disrupt voting with gunshots

May 18, 2026

Carvajal to leave Real Madrid at end of season

May 18, 2026

Nigerians should be worried about Tinubu’s $11.6 billion debt servicing plan — Peter Obi

May 18, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

Nigerian Army expands formations nationwide, honours fallen heroes, wounded soldiers

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Again, Trump fined $10,000 for violating gag order

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

JUST IN: Rivers governor vows to resist impeachment, accuses police of shooting at him

October 30, 2023
3

Top 10 oldest universities in Nigeria

March 4, 2025
4

BREAKING: NLC orders members to picket Labour Party secretariat nationwide

March 20, 2024
5

Natasha resumes at Senate today after 6-month suspension

October 7, 2025
6

Hamas hands over 3 Israeli hostages in fifth Gaza exchange

February 8, 2025
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Pyrates to security agencies: Stop bullying innocent Nigerians

September 12, 2024
3

Meta agrees to pay Trump $25 million for account ban settlement

January 30, 2025
4

How bandits, terrorists dominate TikTok, flaunt ransom collected from victims

August 24, 2024
5

JUST IN: NCC extends deadline for SIM-NIN linkage

March 31, 2024
6

Military unveils Celebrate Nigeria Challenge

March 1, 2024

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Trump confirms US seizure of very large tanker near Venezuela

December 11, 2025

Estate surveyors chart new agenda as national confab begins today

May 5, 2025

Morocco, Congo, Kenya join All Africa Music Awards jury

July 30, 2025

Lawyers slam Supreme Court ruling allowing dual citizens to be governors

January 17, 2024
Top posts

Categories

  • News4545
  • Politics4068
  • Crime3888
  • International2735
  • Sports2255
  • Business & Economy2113
  • Headlines2071
  • Education1252
  • Matilda Showbiz892
  • Health798
  • Entertainment733
  • Africa460
  • Religion449
  • Environment319
  • Special262
  • Arts & Culture227
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Info Tech220
  • Interview176
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today172
  • Opinion145
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade117
  • Advert30
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Trends16
  • Local News4

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact