Skip to content
Friday 21 August 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
News
News

Nigeria’s digital switch-over ready for launch — FG

The FrontierThe FrontierMay 14, 2026 892 Minutes read0

•Information minister, Mohammed Idris

The Minister of Information and National Orientation, Mohammed Idris, has announced that Nigeria’s long-awaited Digital Switch Over (DSO) project is now fully ready for nationwide launch, describing it as a major milestone in President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s reform agenda for the broadcast industry.

In a statement yesterday, Rabiu Ibrahim, Special Assistant, Media, to the Minister of Information and National Orientation, stated that the minister made this known during a tour of facilities at NIGCOMSAT located at the Obasanjo Space Centre, yesterday, alongside the Director-General of the National Broadcasting Commission, Charles Ebuebu and the Managing Director/Chief Executive Officer of NIGCOMSAT, Jane Egerton-Idehen.

Describing the development as a turning point for Nigeria’s broadcasting sector, the Minister said: “I think this is a new dawn for our country. The promise that President Tinubu made to reform all sectors is now being seen in action in the broadcast industry.”

He noted that after many years of delay, Nigeria is finally set to complete the transition from analogue to digital broadcasting, adding that the DSO platform is scheduled for official commissioning on June 17, 2026.

Speaking further on the benefits of the new digital broadcasting ecosystem, the minister stated: “This is going to bring a lot of advantages to broadcasters, viewers, and advertisers. If you are viewing any particular station, you know who is viewing, what they are watching, and how many people are watching.”

According to him, the new system will provide accurate audience measurement and analytics that will help advertisers and broadcasters make informed programming and investment decisions while improving content delivery to Nigerians.

The minister also highlighted the broader economic and technological impact of the initiative, stressing that the platform would deepen competition in the broadcasting industry, expand access to free television services, and improve viewing quality across Nigeria and Sub-Saharan Africa.

“The monopoly has been broken. Everybody is going to compete. Content is going to grow, viewership will grow, and Nigeria is now moving from SD to HD broadcasting,” he said.

He added that Nigerians will now enjoy cleaner television signals through satellite and mobile applications powered by NIGCOMSAT technology.

The Director-General of the National Broadcasting Commission, Charles Ebuebu, said the upgraded DSO framework was designed to align with emerging technologies and modern viewing habits.

He explained that the new system leverages satellite broadcasting and mobile applications to ensure wider accessibility beyond the pilot cities previously covered under the earlier DSO experiment.

“We’re going to have 100 channels by the day of launch and even more because more content producers are talking to us. We want to create one market and one platform for Nigeria,” he stated, while also highlighting the establishment of regional production studios and multilingual customer support centres across the country.

Also speaking during the tour, the Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of NIGCOMSAT, Jane Egerton-Idehen, described the collaboration between NIGCOMSAT and NBC as a strategic partnership that has strengthened service delivery and raised operational standards within Nigeria’s digital broadcasting ecosystem.

According to her, ongoing investments and satellite expansion plans under the current administration will guarantee reliable and continuous service delivery. “The work has only just started. The work has only just begun,” she said.

Among those who accompanied the Honourable Minister on the tour were the Director-General of the Nigerian Television Authority, (NTA), Salihu Abdullahi Dembos; Director-General of the Voice of Nigeria, (VON), Jibrin Baba Ndace; Director-General of the Federal Radio Corporation of Nigeria, (FRCN), Mohammed Bulama; and Director-General of the National Orientation Agency, (NOA), Lanre Issa-Onilu, alongside other senior government officials and dignitaries.

Tags
FGlaunchNigeria’s digital switch-over
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post Residents raise alarm over violent, mysterious killings in Ondo
next post Derelict schools: How not to educate children in oil-rich Delta State
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
News

Governor appoints over 1,000 new aides with immediate effect

August 20, 20260
News

Boat capsizes in Sokoto, total number of victims unknown

August 20, 20260
News

Tinubu appoints Abel Enitan as new Head of Federal Civil Service

August 20, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Health

37 private hospitals, other health facilities shut down in Kano over regulatory violations

August 20, 20260
Politics

2027: Defend your votes like Davido — Cleric urges Nigerian youths

August 20, 20260
Education

Nigerian students give varsity 7-day ultimatum over Law programme crisis

August 20, 20260
Politics

Presidency knocks former Vice President Atiku over promise to restore fuel subsidy if elected president

August 20, 20260
Politics

HAPPENING NOW: Tinubu in closed door meeting with Governor Adeleke in Aso Villa

August 20, 20260
Politics

2027 elections: Peter Obi dominates South East, South South as Tinubu leads South West, North — Research

August 20, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

37 private hospitals, other health facilities shut down in Kano over regulatory violations

August 20, 2026

2027: Defend your votes like Davido — Cleric urges Nigerian youths

August 20, 2026

Nigerian students give varsity 7-day ultimatum over Law programme crisis

August 20, 2026

Presidency knocks former Vice President Atiku over promise to restore fuel subsidy if elected president

August 20, 2026

HAPPENING NOW: Tinubu in closed door meeting with Governor Adeleke in Aso Villa

August 20, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

37 private hospitals, other health facilities shut down in Kano over regulatory violations

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

ROMANCE GONE SOUR: My wife stripped me naked, got me arrested while preaching on the pulpit

September 21, 2024
3

Court fixes date for judgement in BRT driver’s trial over alleged rape, murder of Bamise Ayanwola

March 7, 2025
4

PENGASSAN wants military deployment to Niger Delta

April 9, 2024
5

Experts to discuss ECOWAS future, integration

October 29, 2025
6

Lagos govt unveils new tenancy bill to regulate rent increases, estate agency fees, illegal charges

May 27, 2026
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

BREAKING: Over 200 passengers feared dead as boat capsizes in Niger State

November 29, 2024
3

Oil falls, Asian stocks climb on hopes of US-Iran Strait of Hormuz deal

May 25, 2026
4

Despite subsidy removal, petrol smuggling to Benin Republic flourishes

December 10, 2023
5

Minister queries contractor as flood destroys newly rehabilitated Kano-Maiduguri highway

August 11, 2024
6

American rapper, Drake loses $355,000 bet after Jake Paul defeats Mike Tyson

November 16, 2024

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Kenya protests: President Ruto warns against bid to overthrow govt

July 9, 2025

Court restraints House of Assembly from impeaching Gov Fubara

November 2, 2023

JUST IN: Man threatens to jump from mast if Tinubu fails to restore fuel subsidy

July 8, 2024

REVEALED: How I felt losing 2015 election as incumbent president — Jonathan

October 25, 2024
Top posts

Categories

  • News4919
  • Politics4578
  • Crime4409
  • International3036
  • Sports2455
  • Business & Economy2271
  • Headlines2219
  • Education1368
  • Matilda Showbiz983
  • Health876
  • Entertainment812
  • Africa573
  • Religion483
  • Environment364
  • Special277
  • Info Tech245
  • Arts & Culture240
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today202
  • Interview186
  • Opinion153
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade130
  • World Cup 202695
  • Advert34
  • Trends23
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Local News5

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact