Skip to content
Saturday 22 August 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
International
International

Prince Harry in court to challenge UK security downgrade

The FrontierThe FrontierApril 8, 2025 3003 Minutes read0

•Britain’s Prince Harry and Duke of Sussex

Prince Harry was in a UK court today for the latest stage of his legal challenge against a government decision to downgrade his personal security when he visits Britain.

The self-exiled royal entered the Royal Courts of Justice in central London around 9:30 am (0830 GMT), AFP reporters saw, where judges at the complex’s Court of Appeal were to begin considering his case.

Following Harry’s dramatic split with the royal family in 2020 and subsequent move to North America, the British government said he would no longer be given the “same degree” of publicly funded protection when in the UK.

But the 40-year-old prince took legal action against the interior ministry and, after his initial case was rejected last year, he has now brought the challenge before London’s Court of Appeal.

Harry and his American wife Meghan are no longer classified as working royals following their acrimonious departure from the UK in 2020, which has left them largely estranged from the family.

They have started a new life in California but King Charles III’s younger son has said security concerns have hampered his ability to visit home and he has only rarely returned to the UK for short visits.

‘The UK is my home’

“The UK is my home. The UK is central to the heritage of my children,” he said in a written statement read out by his lawyers at a hearing in 2023.

“That cannot happen if it’s not possible to keep them safe. I cannot put my wife in danger like that and, given my experiences in life, I am reluctant to unnecessarily put myself in harm’s way too.”

Harry’s mother, Princess Diana, was killed in a high-speed car crash in Paris in 1997 as she tried to escape paparazzi photographers.

Last week, the Court of Appeal said sections of the hearing, which is set to take place today and tomorrow, would be held in private due to security concerns.

Today’s hearing comes on the same day as “Confessions of a Female Founder”, a new podcast by Harry’s wife, was due to be launched.

‘Singled out’

The prince’s legal battle centres on a February 2020 decision to downgrade his security, made by the UK’s interior ministry and a committee that deals with the protection of royals and public figures.

Britain’s High Court was previously told the decision followed a change in Harry’s status after he stopped being a working member of the royal family.

The High Court ruled in February 2024 against Harry’s case, saying the government had acted lawfully.

The prince’s initial bid to appeal was refused in April 2024 and he was ordered to pay about £1,000,000 ($1.27 million) in legal costs, according to The Times newspaper.

However, the following month, a judge said Harry could in fact challenge the decision at the Court of Appeal.

Harry’s lawyers told the High Court he was “singled out” and treated “less favourably” in the committee’s decision, claiming that alleged flaws made the downgrade “unlawful and unfair”.

The government argued the committee was entitled to conclude Harry’s protection should be “bespoke” and considered on a “case-by-case” basis.

Harry, who has taken several legal suits against British UK tabloid dailies, is also embroiled in a separate row over a charity he co-founded in southern Africa.

A bitter boardroom battle has seen the prince resign as patron of the Sentebale charity.

Its chair, Sophie Chandauka, has accused him of “bullying” and being involved in a “cover up”.

Harry has in turn hit out at what he called “blatant lies” and the UK-based charity watchdog has launched an investigation.

Tags
ChallengeCourtdowngradePrince HarryUK security
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post Fake doctor linked to 7 deaths nabbed
next post Climate change crisis: GreenTech Accelerator Centre unveiled in Abuja to birth solutions
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
International

One dead as plane hits car

August 22, 20260
International

BREAKING: US court permits FBI to review Tinubu drug case files in private

August 22, 20260
International

Tinubu’s alleged drug trafficking: Why we can’t release his record – FBI

August 21, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Health

The meat we eat and the years we lose: How Nigeria’s abattoirs quietly erode our life expectancy, By Dr. Gani Enahoro

August 22, 20260
International

One dead as plane hits car

August 22, 20260
Politics

EXPOSED: How APC, Accord Party splashed N100 billion on Osun election

August 22, 20260
Sports

Prolific Osimhen scores back-to-back braces

August 22, 20260
International

BREAKING: US court permits FBI to review Tinubu drug case files in private

August 22, 20260
News

IPOB condemns Britain’s ‘selective outrage’ over Israel, Nnamdi Kanu

August 22, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

The meat we eat and the years we lose: How Nigeria’s abattoirs quietly erode our life expectancy, By Dr. Gani Enahoro

August 22, 2026

One dead as plane hits car

August 22, 2026

EXPOSED: How APC, Accord Party splashed N100 billion on Osun election

August 22, 2026

Prolific Osimhen scores back-to-back braces

August 22, 2026

BREAKING: US court permits FBI to review Tinubu drug case files in private

August 22, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

The meat we eat and the years we lose: How Nigeria’s abattoirs quietly erode our life expectancy, By Dr. Gani Enahoro

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Insecurity: Abuja under threat –Akpabio

February 8, 2024
3

FG owing GenCos, DisCos over N4 trillion, says power minister Adelabu

February 27, 2025
4

Southern governors want state police – Chairman

June 25, 2024
5

Imam resigns amid controversy over N500k Ramadan gift by governor

April 1, 2024
6

Reps committee summons CBN Governor over Remita leakages

February 28, 2024
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

39 constitutional amendment bills scale second reading in House of Reps

March 25, 2025
3

BREAKING: Many feared dead in tanker explosion

October 3, 2025
4

Trump back on trial for defamation in sexual assault case

January 16, 2024
5

Corpse discovered near Iran team’s World Cup training venue

June 13, 2026
6

Suspected Fulani herdsmen on rampage, kill 20, many missing in fresh attack on Benue communities

March 6, 2026

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

#EndBadGovernance protest: CSOs seek comprehensive information about protesters still in detention

March 21, 2025

Why we should resist regulation of social media, By Nick Dazang

February 25, 2024

DSS releases, compensates carpenter detained over alleged links with terrorists group

August 11, 2026

Israeli strike kills 11 Palestinians, says Gaza civil defence

September 25, 2025
Top posts

Categories

  • News4927
  • Politics4589
  • Crime4410
  • International3042
  • Sports2459
  • Business & Economy2272
  • Headlines2221
  • Education1369
  • Matilda Showbiz983
  • Health878
  • Entertainment812
  • Africa577
  • Religion483
  • Environment364
  • Special277
  • Info Tech245
  • Arts & Culture240
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today204
  • Interview186
  • Opinion153
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade130
  • World Cup 202695
  • Advert34
  • Trends23
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Local News5

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact