Skip to content
Tuesday 18 August 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
News
News

Proscription as terrorist group: Appeal Court reserves judgment on IPOB’s appeal

The FrontierThe FrontierOctober 31, 2024 3594 Minutes read0

•IPOB members

The Court of Appeal Abuja has reserved judgment in an appeal filed by the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) challenging its proscription as a terrorist organisation by the federal government.

A three-man panel of the court led by Justice Hamma Barka, adjourned the matter for judgment, after the federal government and IPOB, through their respective lawyers, adopted their final briefs of argument, reports Channels TV.

While a counsel from the Federal Ministry of Justice, Oyilade Koleosho, announced his appearance for the government, IPOB was represented by a team of lawyers led by a Senior Advocate of Nigeria, Chukwuma-Machukwu Umeh.

The detained leader of the IPOB, Nnamdi Kanu, had earlier applied to be joined as an interested party in the appeal.

The IPOB is praying the appellate court set aside in its entirety, the ruling/final decision of the late former Chief Judge of the Federal High Court, Justice Abdul Abdu-Kafarati, which on September 15, 2017, outlawed its activities in Nigeria.

The high court proscribed IPOB on the strength of an ex-parte motion that the former AGF, Abubakar Malami, filed on behalf of the federal government.

Justice Kafarati specifically declared as illegal, all activities of the group, particularly in the South-East and South-South regions of the country.

He further restrained “any person or group of persons from participating in any of the group’s activities.”

The judge directed the AGF to ensure that he published the order proscribing IPOB in the official gazette, as well as in two national dailies.

In a follow-up ruling on January 22, 2018, the court dismissed a motion IPOB filed to challenge the legal validity of the proscription order which it said was surreptitiously obtained by the AGF.

IPOB had alleged that the then AGF suppressed and misrepresented facts in the affidavit evidence he tendered before the court, adding that the proscription order was tantamount to declaring over 30 million Nigerians of Igbo extraction as terrorists.

While dismissing the motion, Justice Abdu-Kafarati said he was satisfied that IPOB constituted a threat to national security.

He rejected an argument that the group, not being a registered entity in Nigeria, could not be validly sued by the FG.

The court maintained that the fact that IPOB claimed that it was registered in over 40 countries in the world aside from Nigeria, did not exculpate it from legal liabilities if it was found to have by its activities, violated any law in Nigeria.

However, in its five grounds of appeal, IPOB contended that Justice Abdu-Kafarati erred in law and occasioned a miscarriage of justice, when he ruled that the mandatory statutory condition requiring President Muhammadu Buhari’s approval, under Section 2 (1) (C) of the Terrorism (Prevention) (Amendment) Act, 2013, was satisfied, on the authority of a memo the AGF issued on September 15, 2017.

It told the appellate court that the lower court judge failed to evaluate, consider or mention in his rulings, the affidavit evidence that was tendered to establish that IPOB was not a violent organisation.

“Proper findings of facts built on a meticulous evaluation of Affidavit evidence placed before the Court below, will resolve whether the activities and characters of the Appellant as clearly distinguished vide compelling exhibits placed before the Court, meet the threshold definition of terrorism acts, as contemplated under Section 2 (i) (a) (b) & (c) of the Terrorism Prevention (Amendment) Act, 2013.

“The Appellant’s activities as contested in its written submission before the Trial Court, strongly supported by credible Affidavit evidence falls short of acts of terrorism as contemplated under Section 2 (1) (A) (B) & (C) of the Terrorism (Prevention) (Amendment) Act; this submission was not considered by the Learned Trial Judge.

“The Learned trial Judge justified the granting of the Exparte Order of 20th September 2017, vide finding of facts predicated on issues he formulated suo motu, ostensibly closing his eyes to facts, as well as documents that show that the Appellant is a group of persons holding common political belief largely made up of indigenous people of Igbo extraction and other neighbouring regions merely exercising their constitutional rights to self-determination, within the bounds of relevant international instruments and conventions.

“Affidavit evidence placed before the Trial Court shows in clear terms that the Appellant does not possess any form of arms, or weapons in the exercise of their constitutionally guaranteed rights, or have any history of violence or had engaged in any form of killings; the activities of the Appellant are essentially characterized by moving in groups with cardboards and placards in their hands, singing, blowing whistles and flutes, in agitation for self-determination; these compelling facts supported by credible evidence were not evaluated by the Court below in its finding of facts.

“Activities of the Appellant as demonstrated before the lower court, is in sharp contrast with characters of notorious groups that have even used violence such as FULANI HERDSMEN (which has been declared the 4th most dangerous terrorist organization in the world), and none of these violent group has earned terrorist tag, because the President most probably considered them as possessing or professing protected political beliefs,” IPOB said.

While urging the appellate court to allow the appeal, IPOB’s lawyer, Umeh, SAN, argued that the organisation was denied a fair hearing.

Counsel to the federal government, Koleosho, who denied the allegation, prayed the appellate court to dismiss the appeal.

After it had listened to both sides, the Appeal Court panel said it would communicate the judgement date to the parties.

 

Tags
Appeal CourtIPOB’s appealjudgmentProscriptionterrorist group
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post Harris, Trump head west in US election race countdown
next post Veteran Yoruba movie actor Agbako dies at 101
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
News

Niger Delta stakeholders renew calls for restructuring, resource control •Demand 70% oil revenue

August 17, 20260
News

JUST IN: Real reason I resigned as Edo Speaker — Agbebaku

August 17, 20260
News

Aviation minister Keyamo urges International Air Transport Association to review Delta Airport location code

August 17, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Politics

Don’t pressure Pastor Adeboye to speak against Tinubu – RCCG Continental overseer

August 18, 20260
Entertainment

Angelique Kidjo to become first African musician to get Hollywood star

August 18, 20260
Entertainment

Children cry out for help as popular Nollywood actor battles stage 4 cancer

August 18, 20260
Crime

Two suspected ‘One Chance’ robbers in Police net

August 18, 20260
Business & Economy

Nigerians react as bureaucracy cripples FG’s free business registration drive

August 18, 20260
Africa

ECOWAS dangles $65,000 cash prize for top 60 startups

August 18, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Don’t pressure Pastor Adeboye to speak against Tinubu – RCCG Continental overseer

August 18, 2026

Angelique Kidjo to become first African musician to get Hollywood star

August 18, 2026

Children cry out for help as popular Nollywood actor battles stage 4 cancer

August 18, 2026

Two suspected ‘One Chance’ robbers in Police net

August 18, 2026

Nigerians react as bureaucracy cripples FG’s free business registration drive

August 18, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

Don’t pressure Pastor Adeboye to speak against Tinubu – RCCG Continental overseer

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Atletico have big opportunity against Real Madrid – Coach Simeone

March 3, 2025
3

Georgia stun Portugal to qualify for Euros last 16 with Turkey

June 27, 2024
4

Why I stayed away from acting movies – Screen goddess Omotola Jalade Ekeinde

September 7, 2024
5

Hunger protesters to Tinubu: You have no right to arrest us

August 31, 2024
6

Taxation shouldn’t punish the poor – Catholic Bishop cautions Tinubu

December 27, 2025
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

HORRIFIC: Human skull, other ritual items discovered in church •Building demolished

June 9, 2025
3

BREAKING: Kebbi governor approves new minimum wage for workers

October 23, 2024
4

Illegal stockpiling of explosives triggered Niger explosion – Minister

January 28, 2025
5

Gay men can train as priests but don’t flaunt it — New Catholic guidelines

January 11, 2025
6

Nigerian Army 2 Division headquarters extends shooting range exercise

March 4, 2024

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Russia, Ukraine in Istanbul for fresh peace talks

June 2, 2025

Son of late former President Yar’Adua weds heartthrob in Abuja •PHOTO SPLASH

July 16, 2025

Electricity Regulatory Commission orders private grid-connected substations to register within 45 days

March 11, 2026

Reps uncover over N500 billion in unused TETFund for Nigerian universities

August 30, 2024
Top posts

Categories

  • News4910
  • Politics4555
  • Crime4402
  • International3029
  • Sports2444
  • Business & Economy2265
  • Headlines2215
  • Education1361
  • Matilda Showbiz983
  • Health872
  • Entertainment807
  • Africa570
  • Religion483
  • Environment364
  • Special277
  • Info Tech244
  • Arts & Culture238
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today202
  • Interview185
  • Opinion153
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade130
  • World Cup 202695
  • Advert34
  • Trends23
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Local News5

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact