Skip to content
Wednesday 20 May 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
International
International

Senegal court clears jailed opposition leader for presidential run

The FrontierThe FrontierDecember 14, 2023 3912 Minutes read0

•Jailed opposition leader, Ousmane Sonko

A Senegalese judge today ordered that jailed opposition leader Ousmane Sonko be reinstated on the electoral roll, clearing the way for him to stand in next year’s presidential election.

Sonko was struck off Senegal’s electoral register after being sentenced in June to two years’ imprisonment for morally corrupting a young person, reports AFP.

The 49-year-old political thorn in President Macky Sall’s side finished third in the 2019 presidential election.

But his deregistration from the electoral lists rendered him ineligible to take part in the February polls.

Sonko has been at the centre of a stand-off with the state that has lasted more than two years and sparked several episodes of deadly unrest.

In ordering Sonko’s reinstatement, the judge in the capital Dakar confirmed a ruling in October by a court in Ziguinchor, the southern city where Sonko is mayor.

Last month, the West African nation’s top court had disagreed with that regional court ruling.

But it nevertheless decided that Sonko’s case should go back to the Dakar court.

Sonko now has until December 26 to present his candidacy and obtain the necessary sponsorships.

Jubilant supporters were in court on Thursday and shouted his name after the ruling was announced.

The firebrand politician has faced a series of legal woes over the past two and a half years.

He and his lawyers say the court cases are part of a plot to torpedo his political career.

Legal wrangles

But El Hadji Diouf, lawyer for the state, said: “We will file an appeal in cassation as we did in Ziguinchor and the same procedure will take its course and the decision will be overturned.

“Those celebrating today got it all wrong.”

One of Sonko’s lawyers, Cire Cledor Ly, said that although the state could lodge an appeal with the Supreme Court, it would not stop Thursday’s decision being implemented immediately.

“The electoral code is very clear. When the judge gives his decision, this decision must be immediately carried out,” he said.

After the regional court ruling, the General Directorate of Elections refused to give Sonko the official papers required by candidates to gather sponsorships.

The national electoral commission, however, asked the body to reinstate Sonko on the electoral lists and give him the documents he needed.

Sonko was convicted in absentia on June 1 of morally corrupting a young person and sentenced to two years in prison.

In late July, he was arrested on other charges including fomenting insurrection, criminally associating with a terrorist body and endangering state security.

He has periodically been on hunger strikes since then.

He denounces the cases against him as machinations aimed at keeping him out of the presidential election. The government denies any manipulation of the justice system.

Sonko is particularly popular among the under 20-year-olds, who make up half the population, striking a chord with his pan-Africanist rhetoric and tough stance on former colonial power France.

Tags
clearsCourtjailedleaderOppositionSenegal
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post AAU Ekpoma management extends closing date for sales of undergraduate admission forms
next post Gov Fubara signs 2024 N800bn Rivers budget
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
International

Ebola risk high regionally, low worldwide — WHO

May 20, 20260
International

UK annual inflation slides to 2.8%

May 20, 20260
International

EU agrees to implement US trade pact after Trump threats

May 20, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Business & Economy

Multi-billionaire businessman Otedola to invest $100 million in Dangote refinery

May 20, 20260
News

Dispatch rider dies in Lagos road crash

May 20, 20260
News

JUST IN: Three injured as mosque collapses

May 20, 20260
Crime

Insecurity: South-West now becoming landscape of fear – Actor Lateef Adedimeji

May 20, 20260
Crime

School proprietor sentenced to life imprisonment for defiling 6-year-old pupil

May 20, 20260
Politics

Political storm sinks actor-turned-politician Desmond Elliot’s fourth-term ambition

May 20, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Multi-billionaire businessman Otedola to invest $100 million in Dangote refinery

May 20, 2026

Dispatch rider dies in Lagos road crash

May 20, 2026

JUST IN: Three injured as mosque collapses

May 20, 2026

Insecurity: South-West now becoming landscape of fear – Actor Lateef Adedimeji

May 20, 2026

School proprietor sentenced to life imprisonment for defiling 6-year-old pupil

May 20, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

Multi-billionaire businessman Otedola to invest $100 million in Dangote refinery

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Again, Trump fined $10,000 for violating gag order

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Terrorists kill 2 Nigerian Customs officers, local

March 27, 2025
3

APC replaces Uzodimma with Masari as party convention chairman

February 7, 2026
4

World leaders join Liverpool to mourn Diogo Jota after tragic death

July 4, 2025
5

Nnamdi Kanu asks court to reinstate his bail revoked in 2017

April 6, 2024
6

God has directed Apostle Femi Lazarus to be based in Kenya, says Reverend Julian Kyula

May 5, 2026
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Keke rider returns misplaced ₦4 million to passenger •VIDEO

June 27, 2025
3

School abduction: Gumi offers to negotiate with bandits

March 12, 2024
4

Controversy trails Yahaya Bello’s visit to EFCC headquarters

September 18, 2024
5

Hunger in Nigeria: Cut your allowances not salaries – Nigerians tell Reps

July 18, 2024
6

June 12: Monarch faults Tinubu’s silence on Kanu, warns of Southeast discontent

June 17, 2025

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

2027 Presidency: I don’t need your counsel – Former President Jonathan tells Keyamo, Odinkalu

September 1, 2025

NLC warns against removing wage from Exclusive to Concurrent list

July 15, 2024

Tinubu arrives in Rwanda for Africa CEO Forum

May 13, 2026

Gov Obaseki’s new minimum wage Greek gift to Edo civil servants – APC candidate Okpebholo

May 2, 2024
Top posts

Categories

  • News4549
  • Politics4094
  • Crime3898
  • International2744
  • Sports2266
  • Business & Economy2119
  • Headlines2076
  • Education1254
  • Matilda Showbiz892
  • Health800
  • Entertainment739
  • Africa465
  • Religion449
  • Environment320
  • Special262
  • Arts & Culture227
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Info Tech220
  • Interview176
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today172
  • Opinion145
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade117
  • Advert30
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Trends16
  • Local News4

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact