Skip to content
Friday 22 May 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
International
International

UK announces limits on regular migration

The FrontierThe FrontierDecember 5, 2023 6313 Minutes read0

•Rishi Sunak

Britain’s embattled Conservative government unveiled a raft of measures yesterday aimed at cracking down on record levels of migration — a key battleground in a general election expected next year.

The UK announced it would raise the minimum salary threshold for a skilled worker visa and prevent overseas health and social care staff from bringing family dependents to Britain, reports AFP.

Prime Minister Rishi Sunak’s office trumpeted the proposals as “the biggest clampdown on legal migration ever”.

But critics said it would damage the state-run National Health Service (NHS), which faces staff shortages.

Immigration is set to be a key issue in nationwide elections that must be held by January 2025 at the latest, and which the main opposition Labour Party is currently favoured to win.

Sunak has pledged to reduce new arrivals and has been under pressure ever since statistics released last month showed that net migration to Britain hit a high in 2022.

The Office for National Statistics (ONS) said the number of people who arrived in Britain last year was 745,000 more than the number who left.

Interior Minister James Cleverly said his plan would result in 300,000 fewer people coming to the UK in the coming years.

“Enough is enough,” the home secretary told parliament as he laid out his proposals, which will take effect early next year.

Cleverly said skilled foreign workers wanting a UK visa would have to earn £38,700 ($48,860), up from £26,200 and in line with the median full-time wage.

He exempted health and social care workers, but said they would be prevented from bringing family dependents.

NHS Providers, which represents hospital groups in England, said changes that might deter care workers from coming to the UK were “deeply concerning”.

Care England, a charity representing independent adult social care providers, said immigration had been “saving the social care sector”. Staff shortages have been exacerbated by Brexit.

Cleverly also raised the minimum income for family visas to £38,700 and confirmed restrictions on international students bringing dependents.

He reaffirmed that Britain would increase the surcharge that migrants pay to access the NHS by 66 percent, to £1,035.

Critics have said this effectively imposes a double charge on migrant workers, as employees also pay National Insurance charges, which go towards covering healthcare.

– ‘Do or die’ –

Cleverly added that the government would reform the “shortage occupation list”, which details jobs for which employers are not able to find enough British workers.

The Conservatives won a landslide under the leadership of Boris Johnson at the last election in 2019, largely on a promise to bring net migration numbers down.

The party has repeatedly promised that leaving the European Union, which ended the free movement of people from member states, would allow the UK to “take back control” of its borders.

But regular migration has soared since Britain formally left the EU in January 2020. In 2021, net migration was 488,000.

The ONS data piled pressure on Sunak from his own MPs to take action, with some right-wingers arguing that the issue was “do or die” for the party.

In opinion polls, the Tories, in power since 2010, lag well behind centre-left Labour, which also claims regular migration is too high.

Labour’s home affairs spokesperson Yvette Cooper accused the Conservatives of being in a “chaotic panic” over immigration.

“Today’s statement is an admission of years of total failure by this Conservative government,” she told parliament.

Sunak is also struggling to cut the number of irregular arrivals crossing the Channel from northern France on small boats.

About 30,000 have undertaken the dangerous crossing this year.

The government has deemed such crossings illegal but its much-trumpeted plan to deport asylum seekers to Rwanda was struck down by the courts last month.

Cleverly is due to visit Kigali soon, possibly this week, to finalise a new treaty. The government has also said it is working on “emergency legislation” to get deportation flights going by spring.

Tags
announceslimitsmigrationregularUK
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post Parents of abducted varsity students protest in Zamfara
next post Niger ends security and defence partnerships with EU
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
International

TRAGEDY: Woman swept away as floods paralyse New York City •VIDEO

May 21, 20260
International

Australian court upholds $465,000 fine against Elon Musk’s X

May 21, 20260
International

Nigerian, 8 other deportees from US arrive Sierra Leone

May 21, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Sports

Ex-Chelsea captain Cesar Azpilicueta retires

May 22, 20260
Sports

Palmer, Foden left out of England World Cup squad •FULL LIST

May 22, 20260
Politics

JUST IN: APC announces direct mode for presidential primary •Fubara, other governors named state coordinators

May 22, 20260
Sports

Pep Guardiola to step down after glittering decade at Manchester City

May 22, 20260
Health

Research alone can’t fix Nigeria’s Healthcare crisis — Prof. Onoka

May 22, 20260
Business & Economy

Chinese investors may acquire majority stake in Port Harcourt, Warri refineries

May 22, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Ex-Chelsea captain Cesar Azpilicueta retires

May 22, 2026

Palmer, Foden left out of England World Cup squad •FULL LIST

May 22, 2026

JUST IN: APC announces direct mode for presidential primary •Fubara, other governors named state coordinators

May 22, 2026

Pep Guardiola to step down after glittering decade at Manchester City

May 22, 2026

Research alone can’t fix Nigeria’s Healthcare crisis — Prof. Onoka

May 22, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

Ex-Chelsea captain Cesar Azpilicueta retires

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Again, Trump fined $10,000 for violating gag order

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

How soldiers killed my husband, donated his body to varsity’s lab for experiment – 20-yr-old widow cries out

October 5, 2024
3

Arsenal in the right place as Arteta marks 6 years at Club

December 20, 2025
4

Iran qualify for 2026 World Cup

March 26, 2025
5

JAMB: No hike in UTME registration form

December 20, 2023
6

Council elections: Ogun electoral commission pegs age of candidates, extends primaries deadline

September 6, 2024
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

FG launches live Tracker App for Nigerians to report ministers, others

April 9, 2024
3

Betta Edu: APC chieftain pleads for leniency

January 19, 2024
4

Lagos indigenes lament level of governance in the state, decry persecution

March 18, 2024
5

Nigeria’s health workers warn of nationwide meltdown if FG fails to meet August deadline

August 6, 2025
6

We’ll take definite decision on FCT Minister Wike’s issue – PDP chieftain, Bode George

August 22, 2025

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Online war: Nigerians, South Africans in Bolt, Uber ordering battle

August 22, 2024

JUST IN: Court orders Abuja workers to suspend ongoing strike

January 27, 2026

PDP governors lose as NWC hands Wike Rivers control

September 13, 2024

EFCC chairman raises concern over inadequate funding, says operation may be hampered

February 10, 2026
Top posts

Categories

  • News4555
  • Politics4113
  • Crime3903
  • International2748
  • Sports2271
  • Business & Economy2120
  • Headlines2076
  • Education1261
  • Matilda Showbiz892
  • Health801
  • Entertainment740
  • Africa466
  • Religion450
  • Environment320
  • Special262
  • Arts & Culture227
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Info Tech220
  • Interview176
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today172
  • Opinion145
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade117
  • Advert30
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Trends16
  • Local News4

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact