Skip to content
Sunday 24 May 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
International
International

UNVEILED: How US commandos rescued downed warplane crew member inside Iran

The FrontierThe FrontierApril 6, 2026 1402 Minutes read0

•US commando

American commandos deployed deep into Iranian territory to rescue a downed airman, US news outlets reported yesterday, hours after President Donald Trump announced that the crew member had been recovered “safe and sound”.

Tehran said this week it had shot down an F-15 warplane, the first US fighter jet to go down inside Iran since the start of the war. Washington has not confirmed the details of how the fighter went down.

Trump said early yesterday that the US military had “pulled off one of the most daring Search and Rescue Operations in U.S. History, for one of our incredible Crew Member Officers, who also happens to be a highly respected Colonel, and who I am thrilled to let you know is now SAFE and SOUND!”

In a subsequent post, Trump described the rescue mission – as well as another operation to pick up the pilot – as “an AMAZING show of bravery and talent by all!”

“I will be having a News Conference, with the Military, at the Oval Office, on Monday (today), at 1:00 P.M. (1700 GMT),” he added.

Navy SEAL Team 6 commandos were tasked with extracting the airman, while US attack aircraft dropped bombs and opened fire on Iranian convoys to keep them away, The New York Times reported, citing an unidentified official.

 

Wounded but moving

Though wounded, the airman, a weapon systems officer, could still walk, evading capture in the mountains for more than a day, according to news outlet Axios, which cited a US official.

The unidentified airman was equipped with a pistol, a beacon and a secure communications device to coordinate with rescuers, The New York Times reported.

American commandos converging on the officer fired their weapons to keep Iranian forces away from the rescue site, the Times said.

Trump wrote on his Truth Social platform that he had directed the US military to send “dozens of aircraft, armed with the most lethal weapons in the World, to retrieve” him.

“He sustained injuries, but he will be just fine,” Trump wrote.

His second post however said the airman had been “seriously wounded,” without elaborating.

 

Complex operation

Two of the planes meant to transport the airman and his rescuers to safety were stuck in a remote base in Iran and had to be destroyed to prevent them from falling into Iranian hands, The New York Times and CBS reported.

US forces then used three other transport planes to carry the airman and his rescuers out of Iran.

The Iranian military said yesterday the US operation to rescue the airman had used an abandoned airport in southern Isfahan province.

Ebrahim Zolfaghari, spokesman for the Iranian military’s central command, also said two US “C-130 military transport planes and two Black Hawk helicopters were destroyed.”

The CIA reportedly launched a deception campaign to spread word inside Iran that US forces were moving the airman out of the country on the ground.

In his initial post, Trump confirmed the “successful rescue of another brave Pilot, yesterday,” adding it was not disclosed to avoid jeopardizing the second rescue mission.

“This is the first time in military memory that two U.S. Pilots have been rescued, separately, deep in Enemy Territory,” he wrote, adding that both operations were concluded “without a SINGLE American killed, or even wounded.”

Our correspondent has contacted the White House for further comment. The Pentagon directed our correspondent to Trump’s social media post announcing the rescue.

 

Tags
crew memberdowned warplaneIranUS commandos
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post FG uncovered 45,000 ghost workers via BVN integration – Former finance minister, Kemi Adeosun
next post Easter holiday: Nigerian stock market trades cautiously as investors sustain rally
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
International

China coal mine explosion kills at least 90, more missing

May 23, 20260
International

Trump to Nigerians, other Green Card applicants: Return to your home countries to apply

May 23, 20260
International

Right to strike: Organised Labour hails International Court of Justice ruling as a triumph for freedom, justice

May 22, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Entertainment

What becoming a woman has taught me – BBNaija star Vandora

May 24, 20260
Crime

‘We raped her before beheading’ – Killer of Imo nursing student

May 24, 20260
Politics

Police summon SDP chieftains over leadership crisis

May 24, 20260
Sports

Semi Ajayi returns to Premier League after lengthy absence

May 24, 20260
Entertainment

Nollywood actress Regina Daniels sparks fresh romance rumours after split from Ned Nwoko

May 24, 20260
News

497 stranded Nigerians repatriated from Niger Republic

May 24, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

What becoming a woman has taught me – BBNaija star Vandora

May 24, 2026

‘We raped her before beheading’ – Killer of Imo nursing student

May 24, 2026

Police summon SDP chieftains over leadership crisis

May 24, 2026

Semi Ajayi returns to Premier League after lengthy absence

May 24, 2026

Nollywood actress Regina Daniels sparks fresh romance rumours after split from Ned Nwoko

May 24, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

What becoming a woman has taught me – BBNaija star Vandora

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Again, Trump fined $10,000 for violating gag order

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

INSIDE AKWA IBOM TODAY: 76 oil wells: Restatement of facts

July 26, 2025
3

Tinubu’s speech: Protest continues in Osun as organisers deliberate on next step

August 4, 2024
4

JUST IN: Rivers House of Assembly complex demolished •Gov Fubara presents budget at Govt House

December 13, 2023
5

BREAKING: Voice, data services affected by undersea cable cuts restored – NCC

March 18, 2024
6

NAFDAC inaugurates task force to check fake drugs in Rivers

February 10, 2026
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

I’m now a Christian, says Anambra powerful native doctor

March 4, 2024
3

Autonomy: Senate asks state, local govts to comply with Supreme Court judgement

October 9, 2024
4

EASTER: FG declares two days public holiday

April 1, 2026
5

17-year-old boy buried in shallow grave inside Lagos church

September 13, 2024
6

REVEALED: How Police chased electoral officials, voters in Rivers, seized ballot papers

October 6, 2024

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Mixed reactions trail scrapping of Niger Delta Ministry

October 24, 2024

2 men machete each other to death in Cross River over plantain

January 20, 2026

Gunmen abduct corpse, family members in Enugu, demand N50million ransom

February 19, 2024

Bloody Holy Week: 147 killed in Nigeria

April 11, 2026
Top posts

Categories

  • News4562
  • Politics4130
  • Crime3910
  • International2751
  • Sports2277
  • Business & Economy2121
  • Headlines2076
  • Education1263
  • Matilda Showbiz899
  • Health805
  • Entertainment742
  • Africa473
  • Religion450
  • Environment320
  • Special262
  • Arts & Culture227
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Info Tech220
  • Interview177
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today173
  • Opinion145
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade117
  • Advert30
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Trends16
  • Local News4

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact