Skip to content
Saturday 22 August 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
International
International

Venezuelan Parliament swears in interim president after Maduro’s capture

The FrontierThe FrontierJanuary 6, 2026 1523 Minutes read0

•Venezuela’s interim President Delcy Rodriguez (L) taking an oath in front of Venezuela’s National Assembly President Jorge Rodriguez (R) and Deputy Nicolas Maduro Guerra (C), yesterday 

Venezuela’s parliament swore in Delcy Rodriguez as interim president on Monday, two days after US forces seized her predecessor Nicolas Maduro to face trial in New York.

Rodriguez, who has indicated she will cooperate with Washington, took the oath of office during a ceremony in the National Assembly, telling lawmakers she was doing so “in the name of all Venezuelans”.

She said she was “in pain over the kidnapping of our heroes, the hostages in the United States,” referring to Maduro and his wife, Cilia Flores, who face drug charges in New York with other Venezuelan officials, reports AFP.

Parliament denounced the capture of leftist leader Maduro while vowing support for his stand-in Rodriguez after the US military attack that shocked Caracas and the world.

Outside the legislature, thousands of Venezuelans gathered to demand the release of their leader, chanting, “Maduro, hold on: Venezuela is rising!”

“Regardless of whether Nicolás Maduro has something to answer for in court, this was not the way to do it,” protestor Flur Alberto, 32, told our correspondent.

Inside, meanwhile, members of the National Assembly offered their full backing to Rodriguez — who had been Maduro’s vice president — and reelected her brother Jorge Rodriguez as parliament speaker.

As yesterday’s session opened, lawmakers chanted, “Let’s go Nico!” — a slogan of Maduro’s presidential campaign ahead of the 2024 elections that were widely denounced by the opposition and dozens of global capitals, including Washington, as fraudulent.

On President Donald Trump’s orders, US military forces early Saturday launched strikes on the Venezuelan capital and seized Maduro and his wife, flying them to New York to stand trial on drug trafficking charges.

“The president of the United States, Mr Trump, claims to be the prosecutor, the judge, and the policeman of the world,” senior lawmaker Fernando Soto Rojas said in an address to colleagues.

“We say: you will not succeed. And we will ultimately deploy all our solidarity so that our legitimate president, Nicolas Maduro, returns victorious to Miraflores,” the presidential palace, he added.

‘In Good Hands’

Venezuela’s Supreme Court on Saturday ordered Delcy Rodriguez to assume the presidency “in an acting capacity”, and on Sunday the military also threw its support behind her.

With Jorge Rodriguez’s reelection, the influential siblings are in control of Venezuela’s executive and legislative branches.

Jorge Rodriguez vowed in front of his lawmaker colleagues Monday to pursue “all procedures, all platforms, and all avenues to bring back Nicolas Maduro Moros, my brother, my president.”

Maduro’s lawmaker son Nicolas Maduro Guerra also offered his support for the acting president.

“Count on me, count on my family,” Maduro Guerra, known as “Nicolasito”, told Rodriguez during an address to parliament, adding the country was “in good hands” until his parents’ “return”.

New members of Venezuela’s single-chamber parliament were chosen last May in elections boycotted by much of the opposition, leaving 256 of the 286 seats in the hands of the ruling United Socialist Party of Venezuela (PSUV) and its allies.

Maduro Guerra said yesterday Venezuela “asks for neither privileges nor concessions; it demands respect… We want international relations with everyone, based on equality, mutual respect, and cooperation, without threats and without interference.”

He stepped outside to address the protesters, telling them he was in “indirect” contact with his father.

“We have a strong team over there that’s supporting us,” he said.

Delcy Rodriguez, who on Saturday insisted Maduro remains the country’s “only” president, later extended an offer of cooperation to Washington, which has said it would work with Venezuela’s leaders if they do what it wants.

Trump, meanwhile, warned Rodriguez could face a fate worse than Maduro if she failed to heed US demands on policy reforms and oil access.

Tags
interim presidentMaduro’s captureVenezuelan Parliament
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post Snow, ice disrupt travel in UK, France, Netherlands
next post High cost of living: Trade Union Congress seeks increase in allowances
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
International

US, Canada unable to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs

August 22, 20260
International

One dead as plane hits car

August 22, 20260
International

BREAKING: US court permits FBI to review Tinubu drug case files in private

August 22, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Sports

EPL: Semi Ajayi scores as Hull City beats Manchester United

August 22, 20260
Environment

Ogoni youths demand 500 NNPC jobs as oil exploration resumption sparks divisions

August 22, 20260
Headlines

Meet head of Nigeria’s latest ‘fake’ govt agency, 20 state coordinators, diaspora reps •PHOTOS

August 22, 20260
Crime

Kidnapped Borno schoolchildren: Families cry out to Tinubu after 100 days in captivity

August 22, 20260
Politics

Peter Obi draws 2027 battleline, says Nigeria must work

August 22, 20260
Politics

Tinubu’s Campaign Council for 2027 elections •FULL LIST

August 22, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

EPL: Semi Ajayi scores as Hull City beats Manchester United

August 22, 2026

Ogoni youths demand 500 NNPC jobs as oil exploration resumption sparks divisions

August 22, 2026

Meet head of Nigeria’s latest ‘fake’ govt agency, 20 state coordinators, diaspora reps •PHOTOS

August 22, 2026

Kidnapped Borno schoolchildren: Families cry out to Tinubu after 100 days in captivity

August 22, 2026

Peter Obi draws 2027 battleline, says Nigeria must work

August 22, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

EPL: Semi Ajayi scores as Hull City beats Manchester United

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Oba of Benin disowns planned Igue festival in Lagos

November 24, 2024
3

2025: MAN, ASUU, others demand better economy from Tinubu

December 29, 2024
4

13 killed, houses burnt in fresh suspected Fulani herdsmen attack on Plateau communities

June 20, 2025
5

Traders lament as Lagos govt demolishes 19 buildings at Trade Fair Plaza

September 26, 2025
6

CAF, NewWorld TV sign broadcast deal ahead of AFCON 2024

December 26, 2023
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

US senators take major step toward ending record shutdown

November 10, 2025
3

Abuja excavation site wall collapses, kills labourer

August 26, 2025
4

Varsity lecturer loses professorial rank over alleged breach of regulations

June 24, 2026
5

Labour Party crisis: Abure, Obi factions summon separate NEC meetings

April 7, 2025
6

Oxford University UK invites Nigeria’s Jimoh Ibrahim to talk on mega projects

November 25, 2024

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Trump slams Tinubu over killing of Christians in Nigeria, vows decisive action

August 11, 2025

Termination of charge against minors: Falana asks Tinubu to drop case against 101 hunger protesters

November 5, 2024

2027: Arewa Forum declares non-partisan stand, asks Northern leaders to be vigilant

August 22, 2025

Tems becomes first African female artiste to clinch Diamond single in US

July 18, 2026
Top posts

Categories

  • News4928
  • Politics4592
  • Crime4411
  • International3043
  • Sports2460
  • Business & Economy2273
  • Headlines2223
  • Education1369
  • Matilda Showbiz983
  • Health878
  • Entertainment812
  • Africa578
  • Religion483
  • Environment365
  • Special277
  • Info Tech245
  • Arts & Culture240
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today204
  • Interview186
  • Opinion153
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade130
  • World Cup 202695
  • Advert34
  • Trends23
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Local News5

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact