Skip to content
Wednesday 20 May 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
Education
Education

WAEC revises SSCE results errors, English, Maths pass rate jumps to 62.9% •Regrets mixup

The FrontierThe FrontierAugust 8, 2025 2204 Minutes read0

•WAEC candidates

The West African Examinations Council, WAEC, has admitted errors in the results released early in the week with respect to this year’s Senior Secondary School Examination, SSCE, saying 1,239,884 candidates now have credit passes in five subjects or more, including English Language and Mathematics.

The new figure represents 62.9% of the 1,969,313 candidates who sat for the examination, reports Vanguard.

Also, the new figure is much better than the initial figure of 754,545, or 38.32% of the number of candidates said to have credit passes in five or more subjects, including English and mathematics, in previously announced results.

Briefing the press in Lagos this evening, the Head of the National Office of WAEC, Dr Amos Dangut, admitted some lapses on the part of the Council, especially regarding the serialised questions in objective papers of some subjects.

“Gentlemen of the media, with deep sense of sorrow and regret, I, on behalf of the Registrar to Council, Management and Staff of the West African Examinations Council (WAEC), Nigeria, welcome you to this press briefing to announce the reviewed results of the West African Senior School Certificate Examination (WASSCE) for School Candidates, 2025 in Nigeria.

“You will recall that on Monday, August 4, 2025, the Council, in Nigeria, announced the release of results of the West African Senior School Certificate Examination (WASSCE) for School Candidates, 2025. In the course of the briefing, we told you that 1,969,313 candidates sat the examination and that 976,787 were males while 992,526 were females, representing 49.60% and 50.40%, respectively.

“From the analysis of statistics of candidates’ performance in the examination, we told you that out of the 1,969,313 candidates that sat the examination, 1,718,090 candidates, representing 87.24%, obtained credit and above in a minimum of any five (5) subjects (i.e. with or without English Language and/or Mathematics). And 754,545 candidates, representing 38.32%, obtained credits and above in a minimum of five (5) subjects, including English Language and Mathematics.

“However, during an internal post-examination review of the released results of the West African Senior School Certificate Examination (WASSCE) for School Candidates (SC), 2025, some discrepancies were discovered in the grading of serialised papers. We had earlier informed you that the Council embarked on an innovation (paper serialisation) already deployed by a national examination body.

“The Council, being an accountable, transparent and credible organisation, further investigated all the serialised papers (Mathematics, English Language, Biology and Economics Objective Papers) and discovered that a serialised code file was wrongly used in the printing of English Language Objective Tests (Paper 3), which resulted in them being scored with the wrong keys. Nevertheless, the schools that sat WASSCE for School Candidates, 2025, using the computer-based mode were not affected by this error.

“Consequently, the observable decline in the performance of candidates earlier announced was partly traceable to this absurd situation. The Council sincerely apologises for this imbroglio and deeply regrets the emotional and mental dismay it might have caused the affected candidates and all stakeholders. We have been able to fix the anomaly, and candidates can now access their results on the portal (www.waecdirect.org). At this juncture, may I announce the accurate results obtained by candidates.

“1,239,884 candidates, representing 62.96%, obtained credits and above in a minimum of five (5) subjects, including English Language and Mathematics.

“Of this number, 582,065, representing 46.95%, were male candidates, while 657,819, representing 53.05%, were female candidates. A comparison of the percentage of candidates in this category in WASSCE for School 2024 and 2025 reveals that in this year’s (2025) WASSCE, there is 9.16% decrease in performance (that is, those who obtained credit and above in a minimum of five (5) subjects, including English Language and Mathematics, as 72.12% of the candidates did that last year).

“Gentlemen of the Media, as the reviewed results of the WASSCE for School Candidates, 2025, are being uploaded on the results website, candidates should, after checking the result online, apply for their digital certificate, which will be released forty-eight (48) hours thereafter. Candidates who have fulfilled their financial obligations to the Council can access their results on the Council’s results website, www.waecdirect.org, within the next twelve hours. Copies of the new result listing will be sent to schools shortly.

“Once again, the management of the West African Examinations Council pleads with all stakeholders to pardon us at this moment. This is very difficult for us to say, but we have to admit that it is very embarrassing. We acknowledge the emotional ordeal that candidates, parents, teachers, school administrators, Ministries of Education, the media and other well-meaning stakeholders must have had to deal with. This is a trying time for us at WAEC; we are doing everything we can to ensure that such dismal situation does not recur.”

Dangut, while answering a question on whether every candidate should check again their results, replied in the affirmative, saying everything has now been put in order.

He was, however, silent on what steps would be taken against those responsible for the mix-up.

Recall that a lot of Nigerians have expressed displeasure over the poor results initially released.

Some candidates who did well in the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination, UTME, conducted by the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board, JAMB, surprisingly performed poorly in the English language, particularly in the initial SSCE results.

For instance, a parent whose child scored 368 in the UTME had distinctions in all his eight papers in WASSCE but failed English Language, complained bitterly to our correspondent and called for a review.

Earlier this year, JAMB was also involved in technical glitches that marred its UTME and had to ask some candidates to rewrite their papers.

Tags
EnglishMathsSSCE results errorsWAEC
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post Tinubu’s new tax laws will kill airlines – Operators lament
next post Chelsea’s Broja joins Burnley on 5-year deal
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
Education

NYSC to enforce new certificate requirement for Corps members from 2026 Batch B

May 18, 20260
Education

JUST IN: JAMB opens portal for change of institution, result printing jamb

May 15, 20260
Education

Abduction of students, teachers: Parents decry resurgence of evil act

May 15, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Politics

2027 elections: Former President Jonathan gets PDP waiver, emerges sole presidential candidate

May 20, 20260
News

7 feared killed as LG chairman survives road accident

May 20, 20260
Politics

APC primaries: Governorship aspirants shun consensus deal in 10 states •FULL LIST

May 20, 20260
Politics

APC primaries: More aspirants reject results, take complaints to Abuja

May 20, 20260
Health

RED ALERT: Aviation authority orders tighten health surveillance at Nigerian airports over Ebola outbreak

May 20, 20260
Politics

We must fight war against poverty to fulfill Chapter II of Constitution — Afenifere chieftain

May 20, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

2027 elections: Former President Jonathan gets PDP waiver, emerges sole presidential candidate

May 20, 2026

7 feared killed as LG chairman survives road accident

May 20, 2026

APC primaries: Governorship aspirants shun consensus deal in 10 states •FULL LIST

May 20, 2026

APC primaries: More aspirants reject results, take complaints to Abuja

May 20, 2026

RED ALERT: Aviation authority orders tighten health surveillance at Nigerian airports over Ebola outbreak

May 20, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

2027 elections: Former President Jonathan gets PDP waiver, emerges sole presidential candidate

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Again, Trump fined $10,000 for violating gag order

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Hamas to return another hostage corpse as accusations of truce breach intensify

October 28, 2025
3

FG funnelling resources to non-productive sectors, says Pat Utomi

August 2, 2025
4

REVEALED: How 3 teenagers packaged bomb in flask to attack hospital

March 28, 2026
5

Senator Natasha to Tinubu: Take decisive action to avert Rivers crisis

October 8, 2024
6

By-elections: Police announce movement restrictions in Kaduna

August 15, 2025
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

How to rescue abducted school children – Security analyst

March 15, 2024
3

Former Governor El-Rufai loses mother while in detention

March 27, 2026
4

Kano Hisbah seizes truck with 24,000 bottles of beer

January 3, 2024
5

Gov Soludo bans extra mural classes in Anambra schools, gives time to dismiss

April 8, 2024
6

#EndBadGovernance protests: We’re ready for dialogue — Northern youths •Give deadline

August 8, 2024

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Ogbuku and the transformation of Niger Delta, By Anietie Ekong

September 4, 2025

Domestic airlines refunded over ₦1 billion to 5,285 passengers in Q2 2025 – NCAA

July 22, 2025

Tinubu’s Renewed Hope agenda is a scam — Former Governor Aregbesola

April 15, 2026

Nottingham Forest beat Man Utd, Saka scores on Arsenal return

April 2, 2025
Top posts

Categories

  • News4547
  • Politics4086
  • Crime3895
  • International2740
  • Sports2263
  • Business & Economy2116
  • Headlines2076
  • Education1253
  • Matilda Showbiz892
  • Health800
  • Entertainment737
  • Africa463
  • Religion449
  • Environment320
  • Special262
  • Arts & Culture227
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Info Tech220
  • Interview176
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today172
  • Opinion145
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade117
  • Advert30
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Trends16
  • Local News4

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact