Skip to content
Saturday 22 August 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
International
International

What we know about US National Guard shooting suspect

The FrontierThe FrontierNovember 28, 2025 1953 Minutes read0

•Law-enforcement officers secure the area after a shooting in downtown Washington, on Wednesday 

The man suspected of shooting two National Guard soldiers near the White House on Wednesday was an Afghan national who worked alongside US forces in Afghanistan, US media reported.

The US National Guard soldiers were shot and critically wounded two blocks from the White House. The police said the suspect had been taken into custody.

Washington has labelled the violence an “act of terror” and announced increased oversight of foreigners who entered the United States from Afghanistan in recent years.

Here’s what we know about the suspected shooter:

Former Afghan Military

Multiple media outlets, including CNN, The New York Times, CBS and NBC, identified the man as 29-year-old Rahmanullah Lakanwal and said he arrived in America in 2021.

A relative of Lakanwal told NBC that he arrived after serving in the Afghan army for 10 years in support of US Special Forces.

The relative told NBC that Lakanwal originally came from Afghanistan’s southeastern Khost province and had spent some of his military service at a base in the southern province of Kandahar.

Kandahar is the birthplace of the Taliban and was the centre of heavy fighting during the 20-year war between the then-insurgents and foreign-backed forces.

2021 Arrival

US Secretary of Homeland Security Kristi Noem said the suspected shooter “was one of the many unvetted, mass paroled into the United States under Operation Allies Welcome.”

She said the Afghan national, whom she did not name, entered the United States on September 8, 2021, less than a month after Afghanistan fell to the Taliban.

US President Donald Trump signed an agreement with the Taliban in February 2020 to pave the way for the significant drawdown of US troops in Afghanistan by the end of that year — though the timeline was pushed back and conducted under the subsequent Biden administration.

‘Operation Allies Welcome’

Shortly after the Taliban took over Kabul on August 15, 2021, and as US forces withdrew, then-President Joe Biden introduced “Operation Allies Welcome” to coordinate efforts across the multiple government agencies resettling Afghans, including those who worked with US forces.

At the time, more than 40 percent of Afghans included in the programme were eligible for “Special Immigrant Visa” (SIVs) for those who took “significant risks to support our military and civilian personnel in Afghanistan” on behalf of the US government in Afghanistan, as well as their family members.

Other vulnerable groups, such as advocates and journalists, also entered the US under the program. Authorities have not confirmed whether Lakanwal received an SIV.

Those who entered the United States under Operation Allies Welcome received security vetting from several government agencies, including the FBI and the National Counterterrorism Center.

The Biden administration renamed the efforts in September 2022 “Enduring Welcome” (EW) to signify a pivot to a long-term strategy that would focus on helping Afghans obtain more durable, long-term legal status, primarily through the SIV program or the US Refugee Admissions Program (USRAP).

Mass Evacuations

During the turbulent US withdrawal from Afghanistan that saw Kabul’s airport deteriorate into chaos as thousands tried to evacuate, Biden pledged his administration would find a way out for those who helped the US.

Hundreds of thousands of Afghans worked for foreign forces and embassies and joined US-funded NGOs throughout the 20-year foreign presence. Many feared that made them a target for violence, including by the Taliban.

The United Nations has reported extrajudicial killings and disappearances of former Afghan officials under the Taliban authorities, despite them declaring an amnesty against former enemies.

More than 190,000 Afghans have been resettled to the United States through EW and its predecessor Operation Allies Welcome since the Taliban takeover, according to the US State Department.

Tens of thousands more, including many former military translators and members of the Afghan security forces, are in the pipeline for resettlement, according to advocacy groups.

In June, Trump declared a sweeping new travel ban on 12 countries, including Afghanistan, which complicated matters, according to Shawn VanDiver, the president of the AfghanEvac non-profit group.

VanDiver said it was especially hard for some 12,000 people awaiting reunification with family members already living in the United States.

Tags
National Guard shooting suspectUS
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post 50 Nigerians arrested in India drug busts
next post Coup: ECOWAS suspends Guinea-Bissau, seeks restoration of constitutional order
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
International

US, Canada unable to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs

August 22, 20260
International

One dead as plane hits car

August 22, 20260
International

BREAKING: US court permits FBI to review Tinubu drug case files in private

August 22, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Crime

Kidnapped Borno schoolchildren: Families cry out to Tinubu after 100 days in captivity

August 22, 20260
Politics

Peter Obi draws 2027 battleline, says Nigeria must work

August 22, 20260
Politics

Tinubu’s Campaign Council for 2027 elections •FULL LIST

August 22, 20260
Business & Economy

Petroleum marketers urge Dangote to deliver fuels directly to northern states for uniform prices

August 22, 20260
Africa

Ebola outbreak: Over 16,000 doses of Ervebo vaccine arrive DR Congo

August 22, 20260
International

US, Canada unable to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs

August 22, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Kidnapped Borno schoolchildren: Families cry out to Tinubu after 100 days in captivity

August 22, 2026

Peter Obi draws 2027 battleline, says Nigeria must work

August 22, 2026

Tinubu’s Campaign Council for 2027 elections •FULL LIST

August 22, 2026

Petroleum marketers urge Dangote to deliver fuels directly to northern states for uniform prices

August 22, 2026

Ebola outbreak: Over 16,000 doses of Ervebo vaccine arrive DR Congo

August 22, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

Kidnapped Borno schoolchildren: Families cry out to Tinubu after 100 days in captivity

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Insecurity: Army chief reveals factors hampering military performance

September 25, 2024
3

Neymar unhappy with World Cup role but respectful, says Brazil coach Ancelotti

July 3, 2026
4

Japan condemns Hamas, expresses concern over Gaza on Oct 7 anniversary

October 7, 2024
5

7 notorious terrorist commanders arrested at airport returning from Hajj

June 27, 2026
6

Nigerians demand respect for consumer rights, financial transparency from fintechs

March 12, 2026
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Peter Obi to Tinubu: If your people are dying, the President should be ready to die •VIDEO

July 7, 2025
3

Tension as abductors of Akwa Ibom NYSC members threaten parents over ransom

November 30, 2023
4

I remain SDP National Chairman — Gabam

June 24, 2025
5

Student’s killing: Kogi varsity nabs 2 more suspected cultists

June 24, 2026
6

Varsity graduates kick over hike in alumni membership fee

September 6, 2024

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

MKO Abiola’s wife, Doyin, is dead

August 6, 2025

Mark Carney to be sworn in as Canada PM tomorrow

March 13, 2025

Gov Eno is a governor that empowers the media, not otherwise, By Ubon Marcus

December 3, 2025

Hotel to reward clients who get pregnant during stay in its building

September 21, 2025
Top posts

Categories

  • News4928
  • Politics4592
  • Crime4411
  • International3043
  • Sports2459
  • Business & Economy2273
  • Headlines2222
  • Education1369
  • Matilda Showbiz983
  • Health878
  • Entertainment812
  • Africa578
  • Religion483
  • Environment364
  • Special277
  • Info Tech245
  • Arts & Culture240
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today204
  • Interview186
  • Opinion153
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade130
  • World Cup 202695
  • Advert34
  • Trends23
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Local News5

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact