Skip to content
Wednesday 20 May 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
International
International

1 dead in Venezuela as protesters teargassed in wake of disputed vote

The FrontierThe FrontierJuly 30, 2024 1874 Minutes read0

•Demonstrators in Venezuela

At least one person died yesterday in Venezuela as security forces tried to break up protests triggered by a hotly disputed election result that gave Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro a third term in power, an NGO said.

Venezuelan security forces fired tear gas and rubber bullets yesterday at irate protesters challenging the reelection victory claimed by Maduro but disputed by the opposition and questioned by many other countries, reports AFP.

Thousands of people flooded the streets of several neighbourhoods of the capital, chanting “Freedom, freedom!” and “This government is going to fall!”

Some ripped Maduro campaign posters from street posts and burned them.

Around the country, at least two statues of Hugo Chavez, the late socialist icon who led the country for more than a decade and handpicked Maduro as his successor, were knocked down by protesters.

At least one person died in northwest Yaracuy state and 46 more were arrested in post-election demonstrations, Alfredo Romero, head of a rights group called Foro Penal, which specializes in political prisoner issues, said on the platform X.

In Caracas our correspondent observed members of the national guard firing tear gas and rubber bullets at protesters, some wearing motorbike helmets and bandannas tied over their faces for protection. Some responded by throwing rocks back.

Protests were reported even in very poor areas of Caracas that had been bastions of support for Maduro and his socialist government. Shots were heard in some areas. Protests broke out elsewhere in Venezuela, too.

“We want freedom. We want Maduro to go. Maduro, leave!,” Marina Sugey, a 42 year-old resident of a poor area of Caracas called Petare, told our correspondent.

Maduro, 61, attended a meeting Monday at which the National Electoral Council (CNE) certified his reelection to a third six-year term until 2031.

He dismissed international criticism and doubts about the result of Sunday’s voting, claiming Venezuela was the target of an attempted “coup d’etat” of a “fascist and counter-revolutionary” nature.

But opposition leader Maria Corina Machado later told reporters that a review of voting records available so far clearly showed that the next president “will be Edmundo Gonzalez Urrutia,” who took her place on the ballot after she was barred by Maduro-aligned courts.

The records showed a “mathematically irreversible” lead for Gonzalez Urrutia, she said, with 6.27 million votes to only 2.75 million for Maduro.

The elections were held amid widespread fears of fraud by the government and a campaign tainted by accusations of political intimidation.

Pollsters had predicted a resounding victory for the opposition.

In the early hours of yesterday, the CNE said Maduro had won 51.2 percent of votes cast compared to 44.2 percent for Gonzalez Urrutia.

The opposition cried foul, prompting Attorney General Tarek William Saab to link Machado to an alleged cyber “attack” seeking to “adulterate” the results.

– ‘Another fraud’ –

The outcome sparked concern and calls for a “transparent” process from the United Nations, United States, European Union and several countries in Latin America.

The CNE has not provided a detailed breakdown of the result.

Allies including China, Russia and Cuba congratulated Maduro.

Gonzalez Urrutia, a 74-year-old former diplomat, yesterday acknowledged the deep discontent in society with the CNE results and vowed that “we will fight for our liberty.”

Machado assured Venezuelans that “the leaders of the world” are validating the results, and called families to turn out today for “popular assemblies” nationwide to show support for a peaceful transition of power.

Nine Latin American countries called in a joint statement Monday for a “complete review of the results with the presence of independent electoral observers.”

The US-based Carter Center, one of a few organisations allowed to bring observers into Venezuela, urged the CNE to immediately publish detailed polling station-level results.

Brazil and Colombia also urged a review of the numbers while Chile’s president said the outcome was “hard to believe.”

Peru recalled its ambassador and Panama said it was suspending relations with Venezuela.

The Organization of American States, based in Washington, called an emergency meeting for Wednesday at the request of Argentina and other countries that challenged the official election tally.

Caracas hit back yesterday, saying it was withdrawing diplomatic staff from Argentina, Chile, Costa Rica, Panama, Peru, the Dominican Republic and Uruguay for “interventionist actions and statements.” It also suspended flights to and from Panama and the Dominican Republic.

– ‘Bloodbath’ warning –

Independent polls had predicted Sunday’s vote would end 25 years of “Chavismo,” the populist movement founded by Chavez.

Maduro has been at the helm of the once-wealthy oil-rich country since 2013. The last decade has seen GDP drop by 80 percent, pushing more than seven million of its 30 million citizens to emigrate.

He is accused of locking up critics and harassing the opposition in a climate of rising authoritarianism.

In the run-up to the election, he had warned of a “bloodbath” if he lost.

Ballots were cast on machines that sent electronic votes directly to a centralized CNE database.

The machines printed out paper receipts that were placed in a container and counted by hand as a backup measure meant to be open to public scrutiny.

The opposition had deployed about 90,000 volunteer election monitors nationwide.

– Economic misery –

Sunday’s election was the product of a deal reached last year between the government and opposition.

That agreement led the United States to temporarily ease sanctions imposed after Maduro’s 2018 reelection, rejected as a sham by dozens of Latin American and other countries.

Sanctions were snapped back after Maduro reneged on agreed conditions.

Venezuela boasts the world’s largest oil reserves but has seen severely diminished production capacity in recent years.

Most Venezuelans live on just a few dollars a month, and endure biting shortages of electricity and fuel.

Economic misery in the South American nation has been a major source of migration pressure on the southern border of the United States, where immigration is a major presidential election issue.

Tags
deaddisputedProtestersteargassedVenezuelaVote-buyingwake
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post Hunger protest: FG begins sale of 50kg rice for ₦40,000
next post Olympic men’s triathlon postponed due to River Seine pollution
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
International

Ebola risk high regionally, low worldwide — WHO

May 20, 20260
International

UK annual inflation slides to 2.8%

May 20, 20260
International

EU agrees to implement US trade pact after Trump threats

May 20, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Politics

APC primary election fall-out: Tinubu doesn’t trust me – City Boys coordinator Cubana Chief Priest laments

May 20, 20260
International

Ebola risk high regionally, low worldwide — WHO

May 20, 20260
Crime

TRAGEDY: Police officer due for retirement killed in rival thugs clash

May 20, 20260
Politics

Nigerians slam APC over clearance of former governors Okowa, Bello despite multibillion-naira fraud trials

May 20, 20260
Entertainment

Nigerian Grammy Award-nominee Ninola loses husband

May 20, 20260
Sports

They called us bottlers – Arsenal players celebrate historic English Premier League victory

May 20, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

APC primary election fall-out: Tinubu doesn’t trust me – City Boys coordinator Cubana Chief Priest laments

May 20, 2026

Ebola risk high regionally, low worldwide — WHO

May 20, 2026

TRAGEDY: Police officer due for retirement killed in rival thugs clash

May 20, 2026

Nigerians slam APC over clearance of former governors Okowa, Bello despite multibillion-naira fraud trials

May 20, 2026

Nigerian Grammy Award-nominee Ninola loses husband

May 20, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

APC primary election fall-out: Tinubu doesn’t trust me – City Boys coordinator Cubana Chief Priest laments

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Again, Trump fined $10,000 for violating gag order

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Dangote Group denies ownership of truck involved in deadly crash

October 23, 2025
3

ECOWAS Defence chiefs seek return of Mali, Niger, Burkina Faso

August 9, 2024
4

Governor Namadi opens NBA law week, calls for ethical practices, faster justice delivery

August 13, 2025
5

Nigeria missing as AfDB lists African countries for strong growth in 2024

February 19, 2024
6

5 simple steps to prevent deadly cholera

July 2, 2024
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

INSIDE AKWA IBOM TODAY: Fiscal discipline, revenue diversification critical for development – Governor Eno

May 5, 2025
3

Maresca says high-flying Chelsea can dominate English football

December 3, 2024
4

NAFDAC blacklists popular pharmacy over importation of unregistered drugs

March 1, 2025
5

JUST IN: Pilgrims defy heat wave, storm mount Arafat for Hajj

June 5, 2025
6

UniAbuja promotes 104 academic staff to professorial rank

September 10, 2025

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Embattled former Governor El-Rufai remains in ICPC custody as court adjourns bail hearing

April 13, 2026

Firm unveils App to manage diabetes

September 28, 2024

Naira slumps further, loses 26.2 per cent in two weeks

April 26, 2024

Top 10 countries with the lowest divorce rate in the world

February 22, 2025
Top posts

Categories

  • News4547
  • Politics4089
  • Crime3896
  • International2744
  • Sports2264
  • Business & Economy2116
  • Headlines2076
  • Education1253
  • Matilda Showbiz892
  • Health800
  • Entertainment739
  • Africa464
  • Religion449
  • Environment320
  • Special262
  • Arts & Culture227
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Info Tech220
  • Interview176
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today172
  • Opinion145
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade117
  • Advert30
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Trends16
  • Local News4

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact