Skip to content
Friday 21 August 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
Politics
Politics

2027 eligibility: Court adjourns former President Jonathan disqualification suit to new date

The FrontierThe FrontierMay 8, 2026 1232 Minutes read0

•Jonathan

A Federal High Court in Abuja today adjourned till Monday, May 11, 2026, a suit seeking to disqualify former President Goodluck Jonathan from contesting the 2027 presidential election.

Justice Peter Lifu adjourned the matter following an application by the plaintiff’s counsel, Ndubuisi Ukpai, who told the court that he was only recently served with a preliminary objection filed by the defence and needed time to respond, reports The PUNCH.

The suit, which has continued to generate legal debate over Jonathan’s eligibility, is asking the court to determine whether the former president can lawfully present himself for another presidential contest under the 1999 Constitution.

However, proceedings took an early twist when counsel to Jonathan, Chris Uche (SAN), informed the court that he only became aware of the matter through media reports and had been working to ensure that all necessary court processes on behalf of the former president were properly filed.

Uche also drew the court’s attention to what he described as similar issues previously determined by both the Federal High Court and the Court of Appeal, questioning why the controversy around Jonathan’s eligibility was resurfacing.

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) and the Attorney-General of the Federation, listed as second and third respondents, were not represented in court.

After listening to submissions from parties, Justice Lifu adjourned the case and ordered that hearing notices be properly served on all respondents before the next date.

The suit was instituted by lawyer Johnmary Jideobi, who is asking the court for declarations that Jonathan is constitutionally ineligible to contest the presidency again.

He is also seeking an order restraining the former president from presenting himself to any political party as a candidate in the 2027 general election, as well as a directive barring INEC from accepting or publishing his name as a presidential candidate.

At the heart of the case is a constitutional interpretation question posed by the plaintiff: “Whether in view of the combined provisions of sections 1(1), (2) and (3) and 137(3) of the 1999 Constitution, the 1st defendant is eligible, under any circumstances whatsoever, to contest for the office of the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.”

Jideobi argued that Jonathan had already exhausted the constitutional limits for the office, having completed the tenure of the late President Umaru Musa Yar’Adua after his death in 2010, and later serving a full four-year term after winning the 2011 presidential election.

In an affidavit filed in support of the suit, Emmanuel Agida, who deposed on behalf of the plaintiff, said the legal action became necessary following reports that Jonathan was considering another presidential bid in 2027.

According to the plaintiff, allowing Jonathan to contest and potentially win, would amount to him taking the presidential oath of office for a third time, which he contends is prohibited under the Constitution.

Justice Lifu had earlier, on April 28, ordered that hearing notices be issued and served on all defendants after noting that some parties had yet to file responses in the matter.

With the adjournment, the court is expected to return to the eligibility question on May 11, as the legal battle over Jonathan’s political future continues to unfold in Abuja’s corridors of judicial power.

 

Tags
2027 eligibilityCourtformer President Jonathan disqualification suitnew date
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post I never promised to fix national grid in three months — New Power Minister Tegbe
next post Federal High Court Chief Judge approves posting for 14 new judges •FULL LIST
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
Politics

APC crisis: National chairman Yilwatda apologises, seeks reconciliation

August 21, 20260
Politics

You didn’t conquer anybody — Tinubu urges Governor Adeleke not to shame his opponents in Osun

August 21, 20260
Politics

2027: Defend your votes like Davido — Cleric urges Nigerian youths

August 20, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
News

UPDATED: 11 family members, 41 others buried after Sokoto boat accident •How I survived – Village head

August 21, 20260
News

Bolt, Uber operators engage Airports authority amidst knocks over suspension

August 21, 20260
Business & Economy

Nigeria’s $22 billion oil and gas investment slump triggers capacity concerns

August 21, 20260
News

State Police: Drafting of working paper for National Policing Bill has commenced — Gbajiabamila

August 21, 20260
Politics

APC crisis: National chairman Yilwatda apologises, seeks reconciliation

August 21, 20260
Health

Imo begins robotic-assisted surgery in Owerri

August 21, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

UPDATED: 11 family members, 41 others buried after Sokoto boat accident •How I survived – Village head

August 21, 2026

Bolt, Uber operators engage Airports authority amidst knocks over suspension

August 21, 2026

Nigeria’s $22 billion oil and gas investment slump triggers capacity concerns

August 21, 2026

State Police: Drafting of working paper for National Policing Bill has commenced — Gbajiabamila

August 21, 2026

APC crisis: National chairman Yilwatda apologises, seeks reconciliation

August 21, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

UPDATED: 11 family members, 41 others buried after Sokoto boat accident •How I survived – Village head

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Ogoni Four: Rivers community demands release of corpses 31 years after

November 12, 2025
3

President Putin must be held responsible for my husband’s death – Navalny’s wife, Yulia

February 17, 2024
4

National Assembly overwhelmed by 14,000 workforce — Clerk

August 19, 2026
5

EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade: Myopia and screen time

July 14, 2025
6

Best football player of the season: Who wins Ballon d’Or 2024 tonight?

October 28, 2024
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

JUST IN: Nigeria’s School of Eloquence smashes Guinness World Record in speech marathon

May 12, 2026
3

Minimum wage: States set to meet January deadline as Oyo pays N80,000

January 26, 2025
4

P-Square war: I never reported my twin brother Paul to EFCC – Peter Okoye

August 12, 2024
5

Nigeria’s Top 10 Songs, with ITTY OKIM

December 14, 2024
6

Sylvester Oromoni’s father challenges coroner’s findings, alleges cover-up

May 6, 2024

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Firm to recruit 500 builders, developers nationwide to tackle Nigeria’s housing deficit

November 10, 2025

Osun election: I’m a bulldozer, not afraid of federal might, says Governor Adeleke

August 11, 2026

A world without the Internet is unimaginable

March 18, 2024

2027: Abia group pledges ₦100 million for Governor Otti’s re-election bid

January 31, 2026
Top posts

Categories

  • News4922
  • Politics4580
  • Crime4409
  • International3036
  • Sports2455
  • Business & Economy2272
  • Headlines2219
  • Education1368
  • Matilda Showbiz983
  • Health877
  • Entertainment812
  • Africa574
  • Religion483
  • Environment364
  • Special277
  • Info Tech245
  • Arts & Culture240
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today203
  • Interview186
  • Opinion153
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade130
  • World Cup 202695
  • Advert34
  • Trends23
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Local News5

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact