Skip to content
Thursday 20 August 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
Business & Economy
Business & Economy

Port Harcourt refinery, tanker drivers at war over delay in product loading

The FrontierThe FrontierDecember 2, 2024 3434 Minutes read0

The Port Harcourt Refining Company, PHRC, and Petroleum Tanker Drivers, PTD, are at war over the overloading of products at the refinery.

While PHRC accused tanker drivers of being responsible for the low pace of loading of petroleum products at the facility, PTD, through its umbrella body, the Nigeria Union of Petroleum and Natural Gas Workers, NUPENG, dismissed the allegation, saying the company was being economical with the truth, reports Vanguard.

Meanwhile, Major Energy Marketers Association of Nigeria, MEMAN, Petroleum Products Retail Outlets owners Association of Nigeria, PETROAN and National President, Independent Petroleum Marketers Association of Nigeria, IPMAN, said they were ready to lift products and were working on it.

When our correspondent visited the Area 5 of the refinery, yesterday, about 3p.m., refining of petroleum products was ongoing.

A source in the facility said the refinery produces daily, adding that it has maintained its production status as disclosed earlier on Tuesday.

Also, at the loading bay of the refinery, three trucks were being loaded, while seven others were standing by within the bay to be loaded.

It was observed that of the 18 loading points in the facility, only three were in use.

It was further observed that only tankers with NNPC insignia were loading and seen within the premises of the refinery.

Although the facility was not bustling with life, activities were on going within the loading bay and the production area.

‘Loading hasn’t stopped since last Tuesday’

The Terminal Manager of Port Harcourt Refinery, Worlu Joel, disclosed that the Petroleum Products Marketing Company, PPMC, arm of the refinery was working and that loading of trucks has not stopped since Tuesday.

He noted that the facility has the capacity of loading 100 trucks in an hour, but that out of the 18 points, 11 were functional at the moment.

He said out of the 11, only three were being used because the facility was delivering optimally.

Joel said: “This is PPMC loading arm. We have 11 loading bays that are functional but because of the capacity, it has a huge capacity to deliver, so we are using three at the moment because it is efficient.

“Out of the three, each one has the capacity of loading three trucks in 15 minutes. A truck is 45,000 litres minimum. We have the ones of 60,000 litres. Already, we have loaded more than 10 trucks.

“So, before the close of work yesterday, just in the next one hour, we are going to evacuate minimum of 15 trucks.”

Joel said that there were enough products but that tankers drivers are not coming up to load, calling on tankers drivers to come on to load.

He said: “We have surplus products available. We have our loading arms operational and we have been begging them to come in since, yesterday but because today is weekend that is why they have not turned up.

“If you give us 100 trucks yesterday, we will evacuate it in less than five hours. So, it is not our problem if there are no loading trucks, it is the tanker drivers’ problem. We have been begging them since yesterday to come around and take the products but they didn’t turn up, it was just this morning (yesterday) after pleading with them that they came.”

NUPENG denies PHRC allegation

General Secretary of NUPENG, Mr. Afolabi Olawale, while reacting to the development, told our correspondent that the management of PHRC was lying.

“The management is economical with the truth. People should know how we operate. We (tanker drivers) cannot just drive into the refinery to load products. The marketers buy the products and contract the employers of tankers drivers, Nigeria Association of Road Transport Owners, NARTO.

“It is only when NARTO informs tanker drivers where there are products for loading that we can go in and load. We are ready at all times to load products when and where products are available,” he added.

All supply sources will be explored —MEMAN

Reacting on the readiness of Port Harcourt refinery to flood the market with petroleum products, yesterday, the Cheif Executive Officer, Mr. Clement Isong, said its members were ready to do business with the Port Harcourt refinery.

Isong, said: “All product supply sources will be explored.”

We’ve submitted application — PETROAN

On his part, the Chairman of Mr. Billy Gillis-Harry, said the association had submitted an application and was waiting for a response from the refinery.

He said: “PETROAN is ready to do business with all refineries. Already, we have submitted an application at the refinery portal. We are waiting for its response. We intend to do business with the refinery.”

We look forward to lifting from Port harcourt Refinery —IPMAN

National President, IPMAN, Alhaji Abubakar Shettima, expressed happiness at the reopening of the refinery, describing it as good news.

Alhaji Shettima said marketers could not say much about the reopening as they have not had any prior discussions with NNPC.

“We feel very happy and it is good news for everybody. We are happy with the new development. But we cannot say much. We will wait for NNPC to disclose the price it will sell its products and that will determine how marketers will react,” he stated.

Community happy as refinery resumes operation

Meanwhile, the Chief Security Officer of Alesa Eleme, Dibia Isaiah, expressed joy that the facility in their community has resumed full operation.

Isaiah said: “Everybody is seeing it live and direct that production is on. I suspect it was the enemy of this rehabilitation that is peddling the rumours.

“But you can witness what is going on here, I am one of the loaders from the host community; I have loaded four trucks this morning. Tomorrow, we will load more, there is no time we will not load.

“This is a very busy period for us. I wonder why people are giving out fake information just to run down the management. It is not good. I want to urge Nigerians to disregard such rumours.”

Tags
Port Harcourt refineryproduct loadingtanker driverswar
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post CBN’s interest rate hike deflates stock market performance
next post Hunger protest: IGP orders investigation into Amnesty’s allegation on Police culpability
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
Business & Economy

Petrol subsidy savings: Nigerian employers urge states, LGAs to account for ₦10.4 trillion received

August 20, 20260
Business & Economy

You must account for subsidy removal gains — Former Vice President Atiku tells Tinubu

August 19, 20260
Business & Economy

Commission probes price manipulation as cement hits N15,000 per bag

August 19, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Crime

Stop unlawful detention, extortion or face sanctions — Abuja Police boss warns officers

August 20, 20260
International

Russian strikes hit hospital, kill 12, injure 33 in Ukraine’s capital Kyiv

August 20, 20260
Politics

Police deploy personnel, announce movement restriction for Ebonyi LG election on Saturday

August 20, 20260
Sports

Messi scores first goal since father’s death in Inter Miami draw

August 20, 20260
Business & Economy

Petrol subsidy savings: Nigerian employers urge states, LGAs to account for ₦10.4 trillion received

August 20, 20260
International

BREAKING: Prince Harry and wife Meghan set to move back to UK •Children already enrolled in British school

August 20, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Stop unlawful detention, extortion or face sanctions — Abuja Police boss warns officers

August 20, 2026

Russian strikes hit hospital, kill 12, injure 33 in Ukraine’s capital Kyiv

August 20, 2026

Police deploy personnel, announce movement restriction for Ebonyi LG election on Saturday

August 20, 2026

Messi scores first goal since father’s death in Inter Miami draw

August 20, 2026

Petrol subsidy savings: Nigerian employers urge states, LGAs to account for ₦10.4 trillion received

August 20, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

Stop unlawful detention, extortion or face sanctions — Abuja Police boss warns officers

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

New UK PM Burnham stamps authority with cabinet shakeup

July 21, 2026
3

Trade Union Congress rejects health ministry’s ‘No Work, No Pay’ policy

January 14, 2026
4

20 migrants dead in shipwreck off Italy’s Lampedusa

August 13, 2025
5

Dortmund forward Adeyemi to miss several weeks with injury

December 18, 2023
6

EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade: Link between ocular hypertension and glaucoma

March 17, 2025
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Activists disagree over Tinubu’s proposed Youth Confab

January 12, 2025
3

Arsenal boss Arteta warns of Chelsea danger

April 23, 2024
4

Suspended Zamfara lawmakers flee state, allege threat to life

March 18, 2024
5

South Africa takes over G20 leadership from Brazil

November 20, 2024
6

Premature retirement: Director drags National Assembly Commission to court

January 15, 2025

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Governor Sanwo-Olu condemns threats to Igbo in Lagos

August 3, 2024

Search resumes for Malaysia Airlines flight MH370, 11 years after disappearance

February 25, 2025

NYSC REFORM: FG cancels passing-out parade, extends orientation to six weeks

June 30, 2026

No talent – Wizkid takes another swipe at Davido in fiery exchange

October 2, 2024
Top posts

Categories

  • News4917
  • Politics4570
  • Crime4408
  • International3034
  • Sports2453
  • Business & Economy2268
  • Headlines2218
  • Education1367
  • Matilda Showbiz983
  • Health875
  • Entertainment812
  • Africa573
  • Religion483
  • Environment364
  • Special277
  • Info Tech245
  • Arts & Culture240
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today202
  • Interview186
  • Opinion153
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade130
  • World Cup 202695
  • Advert34
  • Trends23
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Local News5

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact